Are my plants too big for my pots?

Ollylake

Hi all! I am on my very first grow and always concerned about my plants right now. I’m paranoid about them becoming root bound at the moment and an wondering if anyone think these will need transplanting soon.

53BC32A5-CDA4-4817-8CF3-443465533ECA.jpeg
42409382-9952-4CF3-9EFC-C80D69BC44B8.jpeg

They are White Widow going into the fifth week of veg, they’re waiting until May 24th to be planted in a garden bed.

TIA

Yeah mate they're definitely ready for a bigger pot. If it's Coco I can help. If it's soil you'll have to wait for someone else lol. Won't be long though :)

Thanks, I’m thinking this weekend. I’ve no idea where I’m going to move them to though lol!

Looks like soil. They are ready to transplant but won't get root bound for a couple weeks in my opinion. I personally would transplant sooner than later. Pretty Lil plants you've grown!

Thanks mate, I didn’t expect them to outgrow these pots before moving them Outside! Will they be alright in the basement if we got a late frost? It’s not well heated down there....

Smart pots allow better root growth-but on the flip side u do have to water more often, cheep? Your point of view ....insert here.

Pot sizes that has worked for many years. For plastic pots for each month of total growth add a gallon of pot size. So lets say veg for three months and flower for two = 5 gallon pot.
Now for fabric and airpot break down. 3gallon fabric & air = 5 gallon plastic. 5 gallon fabric & air = 7gallon plastic

All the issues I've had over the years cold temp has never been much issue. Done some outdoor grow in cold climate but had in a green house with electric heat. I'm sure someone else will chime in on that.
This been my first year growing without a tent and my first year growing through the winter. The cold has fucking ruined me. Won't be trying that again lol.

I love orange! Congrats they look awesome @Ollylake ! They didn't look rootbound to me just based on how healthy they still looked in the old pots, but you certainly are ahead of the game not letting them get to where they DO look roobound! I have some orange in my near future I think too, unless I find some square trash cans at the dollar store for less. Cheers mate, great home grow setup I love me some DIY! What light you using?

I love orange! Congrats they look awesome @Ollylake ! They didn't look rootbound to me just based on how healthy they still looked in the old pots, but you certainly are ahead of the game not letting them get to where they DO look roobound! I have some orange in my near future I think too, unless I find some square trash cans at the dollar store for less. Cheers mate, great home grow setup I love me some DIY! What light you using?

Thanks for the positive reinforcement, it’s definitely helpful having brains to pick on here!

I am using a cheap light from Home Depot. It’s a 2ft 19W LED grow light. Seems to be doing a great job

It is doing a great job. Probably will need more though soon. I'm obsessed with lights but can't afford what I really want. I made one out of a resale shop fixtures and CFL's, actually running about 185 watts and does a hell of a job! Kindawarm though. That's it on the right, obviously! Viparspectra Par450 on the left, got it for a hell of a Ebay deal, it works amazing. If I can't get a sponsorship deal on something else, I'll definitely consider another like it but bigger.

IMG_20190418_094144199_HDR.jpg

Then I got some cheap LED's from banggood and made a LED Frankenstien. Not as powerful, but doing ok for veg. I've moved all my cheap LED to veg, they are sufficing for now.

That's it to the left. To the right are my china express "300w". Only cost me like 30 bucks for both, seem bright as crap, but my girls really don't like them very much. Plus they are LOUD as all getout. I gutted the fans out of one and put in some superquiet PC fans I had, will probably do that on the second but they will never be main lights again. You get what you pay for!

Anyway, did I mention I'm obsessed with lights? If you decide to get more, keep McGivering or spend some extra cash on something good. Don't get the off off brand big watt claim Ebay specials! I was sure they were the best thing ever and deal of the century at first but I know better now.

Oh right lol! Well sorry for a bit of rambling then, I'm prone to it. My girls thank you for kicking me I to gear on up potting myself:

IMG_20190419_180247808.jpg

Yes, I think so, or getting there. Slowed growth, starting to droop a bit, just generally looking sad. Those would be brown if it was real bad and turning to rot. Problem I could have now is they might not like to spread out very happily. We'll see!

Back
Top Bottom