Asking for a friend

This clearly looks like a salt lockout to me... it's not like I havent seen this 1000 times. Try something new next time... try giving a real 3x the container sized flush around the end of week 5. Then at the end, there will be no salt blocking the uptake and your plants will get all the finishing nutes that they need. The plants in the pictures did not. Try it and see... its not worth arguing about until you have tried it.
I have definitely tried it as I’ve been here a few years and would follow your watering guide back when I was using super soil and promix. I have since switched to Hempy which has been getting flushed almost completely every two days. I do agree salt buildup is the logical conclusion based on my conditions but I underfeed, have fast growing plants, and am flushing often. I completely respect your grows though and realize you are probably right but the solution has not been solved with flushing for me.

I have definitely tried it as I’ve been here a few years and would follow your watering guide back when I was using super soil and promix. I have since switched to Hempy which has been getting flushed almost completely every two days. I do agree salt buildup is the logical conclusion based on my conditions but I underfeed, have fast growing plants, and am flushing often. I completely respect your grows though and realize you are probably right but the solution has not been solved with flushing for me.
please describe "flushing almost completely" just to make sure we are on the same page. Also, what is meant by flushing often? In hempy, you should not have a water only ... every watering should include nutes. Ph will also be critical in this grow. Are you actually draining the rez between each watering? What is your hempy substrate, perlite?

please describe "flushing almost completely" just to make sure we are on the same page. Also, what is meant by flushing often? In hempy, you should not have a water only ... every watering should include nutes. Ph will also be critical in this grow. Are you actually draining the rez between each watering? What is your hempy substrate, perlite?
Yes every watering has nutes and in the case of Hempy, I’m using the term flushing to mean that I’m dumping the res completely and adding new nutes each time rather than having the new mix with the old. Back when I was using super soil, I flushed with ph’d water and I did 25 gallons through a five gallon fabric pot. On several occasions I did this a few times during flowering. Back with soil I’d aim for 6.2,6.3 and now with the all perlite medium I use 5.8,5.9 for the ph.

mean that I’m dumping the res completely and adding new nutes each time rather than having the new mix with the old.
Here is the mistake as I see it.

You are not letting the lower roots ever see oxygen. You are not letting the plant drain the rez. The roots are not getting any oxygen, except during that blink of an eye when you are changing rezes. You are attempting to run this as a form of hydro, always underwater.

You have two solutions to your problem. #1, oxygenate your water and continue doing what you are doing. You will be running a hydro hempy operation and the roots will get their o2 from the water.

#2. Go a couple more days and let the plant drain the rez and draw oxygen way down deep. Then fill the rez, skip the dumping step. This will be a true hempy.

Back when I was using super soil, I flushed with ph’d water and I did 25 gallons through a five gallon fabric pot.
A hint for the next time:
There should not be a need to flush a super soil grow... with water only as an input, there are no salts to build up or flush out. Also, if you were using synthetic nutes and did have salt buildup, there is no need to pH adjust the flush water. The only reason we pH adjust is so that synthetic nutes can be in the proper range to be available to the plant. The whole idea of flushing is to remove those nutes and leave only fresh clean water. The plant will gobble that up, not caring what its pH is.

Back
Top Bottom