Auto Issue: Can't Figure it Out

the leaves that are burn will not come back and will probably fall off at some point once the plant has taken all the nutrients out of them , it is the new growth you need to watch for and the flowers that develop moving forward .

if the nutes are still there now how do they repair then , taking the nutes out with a flush and then adding them back in only gets you back to where you were , they don't need nutes for a week or so , they need a recovery period only and to grow some new roots to replace the ones that are dead , i guarantee if you dig up that plant (take it out of the soil mix ) and look at the roots a large percentage of them are brown and slimy , i have done it before in the past (my early days of learning how to grow ).

if the nutes are still there now how do they repair then , taking the nutes out with a flush and then adding them back in only gets you back to where you were , they don't need nutes for a week or so , they need a recovery period only and to grow some new roots to replace the ones that are dead , i guarantee if you dig up that plant (take it out of the soil mix ) and look at the roots a large percentage of them are brown and slimy , i have done it before in the past (my early days of learning how to grow ).
The correct ph and a low concentration of nutrients will be there waiting for when the roots are ready for them.

Bad out, good in :)

Cheers.

And if you really want to throw the kitchen sink at them.....

Advance Nutrients Sensizym apparently will stimulate the breakdown of dead root material.

And Advance Nutrients Revive's "proprietary formula rushes highly-chelated iron, zinc, calcium, nitrogen and other crucial nutrients directly into your plant’s cells to give them the maximum healing power they need"

Cheers.

Hey Wolf! It would help to know exactly which soil product other than “root something” makes up the base. Soil, soilless and coco are not all one and the same. You mentioned soil, coco, sand and perlite in your comments but coco is not soil. If it’s a coco then hydro rules apply, for coco ph from 5.8 to 6.2 and coco cannot be allowed to dry out. If it’s true soil then adjust your ph from 6.2 to 6.8. Plants like to see a range of ph if possible.

also saw no mention of cal-mag, do you have a cal-mag product? Cal mag gets added to the water first, then other nutes stir well wait 15 minutes check and adjust ph. Speaking of ph, you didn’t mention what you are setting mph to, could be a problem can you supply more answers?

What’s the base soil... is it 50% soil mixed with 50% coco?
What are you adjusting ph to?

It's a product called Root Farm Hydro potting mix. Essentially just potting soil. It's probably about 75% Root Farm and then 25% all the other stuff I've added (clay pebbles, sand, perlite and coco). In 5 gallon cloth pots. Could be 66/33. hard to say exactly what the ratio would be at this point.

When I finish a run I dump them into a large tub that I keep all my extra medium in, mix, water with PH water and then it goes back into pots when I am ready to plant again and I add an inch or two of the Root Farm on top.

I have not been flushing each pot when reset, I just add water and put them back in the tent. It sounds like I should be flushing them to keep from getting any build up.

I do use Advanced Nutrients Cal Mag. Also a little of their B12 and Bud Candy along with the Big Bud and another bloom product that I will grab the name off of tonight.

I have been using a PH of between 6.1 and 6.3. I'll maybe give a higher PH a go.

Its a hydro potting mix you want a lower ph to get in to some (K) you want the left side for hydro/synthetic

look at this chart i would go about 6.0 even 5.8 for cal
images (19).jpg

So I guess my question is what makes something a hydro mix vs. what is dirt? I would call what I am using dirt/soil.

I was going to water again tonight but they’re still heavy, full of water.

Thanks Nutty!!

That’s what I suspected all along, yes hydro rules apply. Both peat & coco don’t have the nutrients to feed a plant they are great additives but still inert, you gotta pour nutes on the plant so bottle feed it is. Technically speaking you are doing DTW or drain to waste hydro - so that’s why the ph gets set to lower values.

Makes sense. I guess I had it in my head that a hydro medium wouldn’t look and feel like soil. This stuff sure does.

I’ll drop the PH to 5.8 and see what happens.

my last soilless soil i ran the whole way at 5.6 just to see and it was fine , was a test run with a cheap soilless mix and water only until near the end , little auto seed , think i fed twice at 5.8 near the last 2 weeks :) , semi super soil, most have lime to balance the ph out but i still ph at the low side , to try a low ph super soil grow
P1100694.JPG

Soil versus soilless sounds crazy but makes a big difference. It will help to feed until you get 10% runoff, flushes part of old nutes out each time. Also don’t let them sit in trays of runoff water, dump the water out and if you can put a spacer or grate under the plant and keep it elevated about an inch or two for airflow under the bag. Look for plant elevators online if you are cashed up or if you are cashed down search for ideas but I’ve used an oven rack and wood blocks for temporary measures. It’s called wet feet and can hose up her roots leading to root rot etc

thanks Nutty!

I actually have a bunch of those plastic grates I can use.

I haven‘t ever noticed that they sit in water. I water until I get enough runoff to fill the saucer, and then if I leave it for 10 minutes they’ve sucked all the water back up. But I guess that wouldn’t accomplish the flush, so I’ll start using the grates again.

Really appreciate all the help. Hopefully this does the trick. That’s a great looking plant, prof.

my last soilless soil i ran the whole way at 5.6 just to see and it was fine , was a test run with a cheap soilless mix and water only until near the end , little auto seed , think i fed twice at 5.8 near the last 2 weeks :) , semi super soil, most have lime to balance the ph out but i still ph at the low side , to try a low ph super soil grow
P1100694.JPG
i think it`s good to mix up your ph levels when watering once and awhile, in your grow medium range. just me not sure if it matters.
Makes sense. I guess I had it in my head that a hydro medium wouldn’t look and feel like soil. This stuff sure does.

i`m in hp cc coco-soil mix and so far my plants like between 6.2 and 5.8 ph,

The product you mentioned had "hydro" right in the name. The product I found on-line with the name you mentioned is promoted on the web site as being a good choice for those beginning to grow hydroponically. By any chance is it the product that comes in a brown plastic bag?

One of the big reasons that this product and many other hydro media will look like soil is because the peat moss and the coco coir will turn a deep brown color when wet and look like a soil mix. Then mix up the stuff and it gets nice and loose and fluffy just like a quality mineral soil mix will look and feel like.

While peat moss and coco coir are natural products, organic in that they come from once living plants, but they are slow to decompose so it can take years for them to break down and return their nutrients.

Since you are already giving mix of nutrients and water to the plants it really does sound like the pH of the water solution could be causing a problem.

Nice looking plants and you should be able to salvage them.

Well that certainly would explain a lot.

They’re already looking better with the 6.1 flush. I guess my overwatering concern was probably misplaced as well.

Here goes my 2 cents :nerd-with-glasses: ...these are just my opinions from my observations :passitleft:
First, I've never had luck with mixing soils with coco, they both want a different PH for nutrient uptake :idea:

Second, If it's more coco than soil, you probably need to water more often, straight coco needs watering with minimal nutes and cal-mag everyday, twice a day, PHed @ 5.6 to 5.8...as long as it's below 6 :thumb:

Third, I never use sand, it's crap for cannabis, it'll compact the soil and cause root bind, not too mention it retains water and will dampen off your roots (root rot) :rip:

Fourth, I use my hard ass tap water in my FFOF, I don't PH anything, and I let my girls set in their runoff to soak it back up :dude-knocking:

RECOMMENDATIONS; Get some Fox Farms soil and quick :rofl: ...Seriously, I've tried coco, hempy, aeroponics, hydroponics, organics...hell I started in Miracle Grow with CFLs :rofl:

...I'm still learning, and I don't claim to know everything, or to know the how or why of things, but after 15 years I have a pretty good handle on what works and what doesn't:morenutes::morenutes::snowboating:
Proof is in the pics, take a walk through my journals and see for yourself, they're in my sig :passitleft:

...Just a sample...

Back
Top Bottom