Auto: Removing Nodes

I feel a little funny asking what seem like simple questions.

When is the best time to safely remove the first single bladed node? They popped 11 days ago. I will be topping 2 and FIM 1 at the 5th soon. I will be removing the first nodes, topping & LST. Are autos really that sensitive, they seem strong. With photo I don't like to baby too much.

420mag is such a great resource. Thanks everyone.

DSC00143.JPG

DSC00145.JPG

I feel a little funny asking what seem like simple questions.

When is the best time to safely remove the first single bladed node? They popped 11 days ago. I will be topping 2 and FIM 1 at the 5th soon. I will be removing the first nodes, topping & LST. Are autos really that sensitive, they seem strong. With photo I don't like to baby too much.

420mag is such a great resource. Thanks everyone.

DSC00143.JPG

DSC00145.JPG
Beautiful garden my friend. From what I have read,since I don't grow autos is that they are touchy . Then can go dormant, or just grow really slow if you stress them. Personally I'd just let those babies grow and not pluck or pick at them.
Happy growing. :Namaste:

You don't want to cause a lot of stress to an auto, some are very hardy but a lot can be finicky as well. There a couple of threads around somewhere on topping autos but its been a while since I've been here. Basically you'll want to top your auto by week 2 (14 days) if possible. Seeing how your on day 10/11 I wouldn't wait for the 5th node to top, do it at the 3rd now while there's still time for it to recoup and grow a little more before flowering. But it will stress the plant for a couple days before you see the node growth. Hope this helps

Have you seen this thread by @InTheShed on LST? Lots of good info. It’s how I train my autos.

lots of guys successfully top / train / lst autos. but they are far more touchy than photos. it's best to grow a couple out normally on their own before tackling a bunch on autos.

when you get a groove for them, comb through some of the journals doing autos in your media style. you can ask questions and get advice as you do a more involved run. run a journal as you go in support. :)

Did you run out of soil? The pot needs to be filled to the brim. Whatever you're doing, do it. The less you do can be the right thing in most cases, but there are wizards here that have powers beyond belief and even they dont like fxcking with autos past a point. I hadn't ever tried them and after 3 grows I'm probably out because they just dont act right compared to sturdier photos.

Good morning! Today is day 14 and I couldn’t be happier with the growth so far. They’ve greened up and are moving quick. They have taken to the nutrients well, feeding at 75%. I still haven’t fully watered the pots.

This strain is known to grow tall and I have a short tent. This morning the largest was topped at the 5th, and the first node removed. Waiting to see how she responds and I will probably do the other 2 in a few days. I don’t know why I left the cotyledons.

Take care, enjoy the day.

DSC00150.JPG

DSC00151.JPG

DSC00152.JPG

DSC00153.JPG

DSC00156.JPG

Did you run out of soil? The pot needs to be filled to the brim. Whatever you're doing, do it. The less you do can be the right thing in most cases, but there are wizards here that have powers beyond belief and even they dont like fxcking with autos past a point. I hadn't ever tried them and after 3 grows I'm probably out because they just dont act right compared to sturdier photos.
Thanks for the heads up. Soil settled, topped it up this morning. I chose autos for a first indoor run as I wanted to see what could be done with them.

Good morning! Today is day 14 and I couldn’t be happier with the growth so far. They’ve greened up and are moving quick. They have taken to the nutrients well, feeding at 75%. I still haven’t fully watered the pots.

This strain is known to grow tall and I have a short tent. This morning the largest was topped at the 5th, and the first node removed. Waiting to see how she responds and I will probably do the other 2 in a few days. I don’t know why I left the cotyledons.

Take care, enjoy the day.

DSC00150.JPG

DSC00151.JPG

DSC00152.JPG

DSC00153.JPG

DSC00156.JPG
Sorry, I thought I was making an entry in my journal.

They look good stinker. Don't worry about not taking off the cotyledon leaves, they are actually what store the nutrients your plant lives off for the first couple weeks of being a baby. I will try and stop into your journal later today and say hi

The topping didn't slow them down. Today I started a little training with two, will give the other another day or so as it has alot of tender new growth.

I wasn't sure how I was going to secure the spectra I use to restrain. In the end I used a hole punch and a half hitch.

DSC00162.JPG

DSC00165.JPG

Very nice, now you know this is a hardy strain that can take a little beating and not slow down. But there are autos out there that don't like it as well and will stunt for a few days. Now on to the bending!

Another thing you could try instead of punching holes in your grow bags is safety pins. That's what I did with my 7gallon grow bags.

With my autos, whether I top or Lst, I wait for a healthy 5th node then remove under 4 and start training to
achieve my desired end result, which is to expose bud sites around the pot. Grower preference.

Top.jpg

Before.jpg

After.jpg

Frontal.jpg

Training pics.jpg

Back
Top Bottom