Average Yield Crowdsourcing

Randar

I’ve frequently searched for “average yield by pot size” and come across various sites that offer some general info. What I’d like to try, with the help from y’all, is to put together a data-driven answer to this question. I’ll take care of the compiling and posting updated results when I can, all I ask from you is that when you get some time, post the following information to this thread:

Yield, Pot Size, Grow Medium, Light Type, and Strain

The more input the better, and if there isn’t much interest, I’ll let this drop.

Do a web search for:
Code:
yield-o-rama

The project was started in 1996. It could probably benefit from some new volunteers (and updating, in regards to newer lighting technology).

Do a web search for:
Code:
yield-o-rama

The project was started in 1996. It could probably benefit from some new volunteers (and updating, in regards to newer lighting technology).
It looks like the last time the website was updated was 2004. Someone would have to be able to access the site and work on the coding so that LED lights could be included.

That's what i meant about benefiting from some new volunteers. That thing began back when we were mostly having our Internet-based cannabis discussions in the old Usenet newsgroup, Alt.Drugs.Pot.Cultivation (or something like that; it has been a long time since i accessed it). There may be contact information on the website's main page. It's where the big archive of the original SCROG discussions (from A.D.P.C. threads) is hosted.

Back then, a gram pet watt was something to shoot for. It's still a nice haul, of course, but people surpass it a lot more often, even with HIDs. Hearth Robinson far surpassed it with his.

Ah pot size & yield ?

Sounds like alchemy to me where you need to turn lead into gold :ganjamon:

The only common sense thing I found about using larger pots was you don't have water them so often... so in my eyes that is win, win situation :thumb:

How ever larger yields... what pipe have you been smoking !

Questions

Did you train that plant ?
How long did you take to veg ?
Do you have good ventilation ?
Size or wattage of light source, Umol or PFT ?

These all add to total yield :green_heart:

Simple answer = 10g - 20g dry bud per Litre pot, but the difference between 3L - 5L is not noticeable, and even 10L is marginal and I know nothing about 20L+ pots, but we all know someone around here that has 170L pots
I can't begin to imagine the yield from a 12 foot plant @Bill284, can you? Does it still fall in that range?
Sorry, 50w/sqft mixed LEDs in coco, around 60/30/10 Indy/Sat/Rud generally

The only really tall plant I know the yield of was a South American sativa that was actually growing just inside a barn in the mid-1980s. It was chasing the light, and ended up poking out a little swing open vent about 16' to 18' up (but that's pretty much all it was, like a green pole with some leaves). It yielded... one arrest :rolleyes: and a $5,000 lawyer bill. But not a conviction.

Wasn't me, BtW, it was a woman I lived with for a little while, a few years later. But I saw the plant. Used to laugh every time I did, kept threatening to either put it out of its misery or jump on her (then) old man's tractor and knock the front of the barn down so it could get more light.

Simple answer = 10g - 20g dry bud per Litre pot, but the difference between 3L - 5L is not noticeable, and even 10L is marginal and I know nothing about 20L+ pots, but we all know someone around here that has 170L pots
I can't begin to imagine the yield from a 12 foot plant @Bill284, can you? Does it still fall in that range?
Sorry, 50w/sqft mixed LEDs in coco, around 60/30/10 Indy/Sat/Rud generally
Only 8lb's I could have done much better but September/ October that year was wet and cold.
So I chopped a week or more early.
But that's not the question, hehe. :rofl:
This is coco mind you but -
3 gal pots with a quick veg and minimal training would average 4 ounces.
Perpetual harvest over a few months as a base line.
5 gal same quick veg minimal training 4 to 6 ounces.
Then it gets complicated because 7 gal I'd veg longer so it's not a fair comparison.
7 gal , 2 month veg with some lst and topping usually 8 to 12 ounces is reasonable.
All values are dependent on ability and environment.
But that should give you a basic idea.
Nothing carved in stone just possibilities.
And side note that's all from memory as my notebooks were lost in the fire.
And my memory isn't always perfect. ;)
Hope that helps.

Stay safe:cool:
Bill

my 5 L hempys produce the same or better than my 5 gal hp grows did. it's actually a little maddening.
edit : i haven't weighed a harvest for near 5 yrs, i count jars now lol :cheesygrinsmiley:

my 5 L hempys produce the same or better than my 5 gal hp grows did.

Hardly surprising. Now switch to actively-aerated hydroponics, and watch the... (frustration?) increase yet again ;) .

Hardly surprising. Now switch to actively-aerated hydroponics, and watch the... (frustration?) increase yet again ;) .

i ran hard sides in the 5 gal too. any fabric bag will do better.

While I applaud the effort, the concept is fundamentally flawed, as yield has much more to do with genetics, training methods, wattage, veg time, and grower skill than container size. Any dataset received would be too diverse and therefore inaccurate.

That thing began back when we were mostly having our Internet-based cannabis discussions in the old Usenet newsgroup, Alt.Drugs.Pot.Cultivation (or something like that; it has been a long time since i accessed it). There may be contact information on the website's main page.
Ah, the 'Usenet newsgroups' from back in the day when it seemed everyone who signed up with an ISP got access to them as part of their service.

I did a courtesy look for some sort of contact info the other day but did not notice anything. Not surprising since in those years approx 7-8 states had legal medical and none had legal recreational. While the attitude among the population was slowly changing the federal departments were still operating under the philosophies they learned from watching Reefer Madness back in the late 1930s.

as yield has much more to do with genetics, training methods, wattage, veg time, and grower skill than container size.
....and not necessarily in that order plus you forgot the grower's choice of fertilizers and nutrients ;).

But, yes, the same grower can should see an increase in yield as the size of the growing container increases as long as all the other items stay the same; as in same genetics, training, etc.

For several years I played around with pulling an ounce from clones in 1 gallon of soil (actually 3 quarts) in those nursery pots. As it started to fall into place I began applying the same methods to 2 gallon nursery pots with all the other parameters staying the same. But since I had met my first goal of consistently hitting the one ounce harvest after drying I had to come up with a new goal.:)

There's a picture in one of the threads here of a 7 or 8 gram "bud on a stick" that was grown in one of those little 1.5-ounce miniature Solo cups. I think it won the informal competition.

If container size dictates anything, it's the maximum yield possible.

I'll play along though. Here's my last 3 grows:

Bullrider. Outdoor, southern slope. 4'x6' holes amended with biochar, steer manure, seaweed, black and red cinder, fish waste. 14oz per plant.

Dolato. Mars tsw 2000. 3 gallon fabric pots. Super soil mix from eBay and Promix. 4 oz per plant.

Melon Fizz. Mars tsw 2000, 240w blurple, 100w qb. Advanced nutrients. 5 gallon hempy buckets. 7.5 oz per plant.

No maths to this & just our own natural grow environment, equipment used along with some skill.

For the fabled yield to what ever ratio is even dreamed up about :green_heart:

Happy medicating :ganjamon:

For what it is worth, a tad over 3 oz from a Blue Dream clone grown inside using a 5 gallon pot. The first two photos are a top and side view of the curing jars. Five jars have colas, etc and one jar is mostly buds. The weed in those jars was 'low and slow fridge dried' for 10 days. Put in jars on 5-19-22 so 6 weeks ago.

Plant #163
Plant ID/Name = BD 4.2.7.8.1.1.2.1

full

full

The last photo (below) shows a single jar that is a stash jar filled with small buds and bits and pieces or whatever might have fallen off along the way. The contents not weighed nor did they go through the low and slow dry; just put in the jar and a sample is rolled up every now and then.

full

Back
Top Bottom