Ban on marijuana users owning guns is unconstitutional, U.S. judge rules

Peat Phreak

Feb 4 (Reuters) - A federal law prohibiting marijuana users from possessing firearms is unconstitutional, a federal judge in Oklahoma has concluded, citing last year's U.S. Supreme Court ruling that significantly expanded gun rights.

U.S. District Judge Patrick Wyrick, an appointee of former Republican President Donald Trump in Oklahoma City, on Friday dismissed an indictment against a man charged in August with violating that ban, saying it infringed his right to bear arms under the U.S. Constitution's Second Amendment.

Wyrick said that while the government can protect the public from dangerous people possessing guns, it could not argue Jared Harrison's "mere status as a user of marijuana justifies stripping him of his fundamental right to possess a firearm."

-----------

Weed smoking gun owners can breathe a little easier now.

i can't fathom any circumstance under any conditions that would ever make a US judge deny anyone from arming themselves to the teeth.

americans care about that more than life itself.

Sorry, I'm a Brit so I don't understand, but I'm interested
Is it a case of 'the other guy will have a gun, so I need one' or 'sometimes we have to shoot things here'?
Bears and stuff?
Bears, snakes, coyotes, bobcats, all are still prevalent here in the Midwest. One can avoid them of course but if you want to venture out into the woods, it's probably best to be armed. The larger problem however is our big cities that have turned into major crime centers. It is no longer safe in the USA to stop at night at a gas station or a convenience store if you are in a big city. Carjackings and murder rates are way up, and let's not even talk about assaults against women. Anyone who wants a gun here can get one legally or illegally. Yes you hear about a lot of mass shootings here in the news, mainly to rouse up the anti-gun crowd, but what you don't hear about are the hundreds and hundreds of cases of good guys with guns stopping a bad guy or a bad situation. Yes the USA is the wild wild West, but it's best when you live here to acknowledge that fact and protect yourself accordingly.

I was born in ok and raised in tx. I've had a gun since I was 8. We were raised to respect the fire arm, how to safely handle it, and that it's not a toy.

I dont understand not owning a firearm.

All the bad people have weapons. Don't you want to be able to protect yourself or your family?

I don't carry as often as I used to carry. But I do have firearms stashed throughout my properties. I have given my wife the confidence to handle all these as well. My children were raised around them, but don't care to own guns. I respect their decisions. Because if your not 100% in owning a gun, don't.

Guns don't kill people. People kill people.

I don't understand the stigma of gun owners and marijuana.

Is it different than johnny slamming 15 beers, or Betty taken a handful of Vicodin..... What about Mr. Bad man having a bad day?

Those people are more dangerous in my mind .

Don't see pot heads robbing people

Oh no he ate all the donuts...

i can't fathom any circumstance under any conditions that would ever make a US judge deny anyone from arming themselves to the teeth.

americans care about that more than life itself.
If you’re convicted of a Felony and any Felony you can’t possess any type whatsoever of firearm including a black powder. CL🍀

I don't take my guns out of my home. Grew up with them here in the south. Shotgun, .38, and .35 cal rifle.
These AR15 and AK47 are crazy imo. It's definitely for killing people instead of animals.
Assault rifles and designed for killing people in combat and are not used for hunting unless you’re hunting humans. Personally I’d like to see them federally licensed like fully automatic weapons are. CL🍀

Sorry, I'm a Brit so I don't understand, but I'm interested
Is it a case of 'the other guy will have a gun, so I need one' or 'sometimes we have to shoot things here'?
Bears and stuff?
The foundational document of the US is the Constitution and the right to keep and bear arms is guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the Constitution.

Under the Constitution and subsequent laws, all able bodied males were, acknowledged to be part of the "militia" and they were expected to own, maintain, and use weapons in defense of themselves and their state.

Parts of the US are quite violent, though many cities in Mexico are even more so. If the gun violence that we see in inner cities is removed from crime statistics for the US, the level of gun violence plummets. IIRC, the stats fall in the mid-range of other first world nations. Handguns are used to kill far more frequently than long guns. More people are killed with fists, feet, and hands in a given year than are killed with rifles.

The foundational document of the US is the Constitution and the right to keep and bear arms is guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the Constitution.

that isn't what he was asking. we know the legal framework.
he was just curious about the unhealthy fascination with having to be armed to the teeth for no good reason.

Under the Constitution and subsequent laws, all able bodied males were, acknowledged to be part of the "militia" and they were expected to own, maintain, and use weapons in defense of themselves and their state.

you forgot regulated. the wording is well regulated militia. everyone thinks an individual right trumps regulation. it does not. there is no realistic regulation of guns in the US as a result.

if the US laws were followed then every able bodied person would be conscripted into a state milita, they would be issued a weapon, and that weapon and it's ammunition would be subject to state control and regulation, up to and including yearly inspections, with an accounting of where each and every bullet is, and how it was used if missing.

this is what happens in countries with similar laws. austria, switzerland, finland, a plethora of ex-soviet baltics, none of it happens in the US. all you have is rampant over supply and all the societal issues that you created with it.

what you don't hear about are the hundreds and hundreds of cases of good guys with guns stopping a bad guy or a bad situation

you don't hear about it because it is fiction.
the actual science shows you have more gun deaths than any other nation on earth on any given day.

Bears, snakes, coyotes, bobcats, all are still prevalent here in the Midwest. One can avoid them of course but if you want to venture out into the woods, it's probably best to be armed.

i lived in the middle of a national park for over a decade. we had black bear, grizzly, moose, elk, coyotes, wolves, and cougar roam through the town at will. it was illegal to use or carry any firearms. there was never an issue.

if you need a weapon to protect yourself against the piddling amount of wildlife left down in the states then you should sign up for the mars project and get out of our way.

that isn't what he was asking. we know the legal framework.
he was just curious about the unhealthy fascination with having to be armed to the teeth for no good reason.

you forgot regulated. the wording is well regulated militia. everyone thinks an individual right trumps regulation. it does not. there is no realistic regulation of guns in the US as a result.

if the US laws were followed then every able bodied person would be conscripted into a state milita, they would be issued a weapon, and that weapon and it's ammunition would be subject to state control and regulation, up to and including yearly inspections, with an accounting of where each and every bullet is, and how it was used if missing.

this is what happens in countries with similar laws. austria, switzerland, finland, a plethora of ex-soviet baltics, none of it happens in the US. all you have is rampant over supply and all the societal issues that you created with it.

you don't hear about it because it is fiction.
the actual science shows you have more gun deaths than any other nation on earth on any given day.

i lived in the middle of a national park for over a decade. we had black bear, grizzly, moose, elk, coyotes, wolves, and cougar roam through the town at will. it was illegal to use or carry any firearms. there was never an issue.

if you need a weapon to protect yourself against the piddling amount of wildlife left down in the states then you should sign up for the mars project and get out of our way.
Ummm, bluter. I'm scared of Bears and wild boar hogs in the woods..:cheesygrinsmiley: we don't have moose or Elk, might need a AK if they're charging you..lol

Ummm, bluter. I'm scared of Bears and wild boar hogs in the woods..:cheesygrinsmiley: we don't have moose or Elk, might need a AK if they're charging you..lol

brace for the butterfly attack ..

Parts of the US are quite violent, though many cities in Mexico are even more so. If the gun violence that we see in inner cities is removed from crime statistics for the US, the level of gun violence plummets. IIRC, the stats fall in the mid-range of other first world nations. Handguns are used to kill far more frequently than long guns. More people are killed with fists, feet, and hands in a given year than are killed with rifles.
That maybe true but whenever you hear of a mass shooting it’s either a AR-15 or AK-47. Reason being is that they can fire multiple rounds in less time. CL🍀

Back
Top Bottom