Bees on my plants

If the bees are on them, the pollen .. at least some of it, has already been released. I do still agree with your assessment of how to handle it tho, no sense in making it worse on purpose.
Bees dont pollinate cannabis. It's a self pollinating plant.

There's no need for cannabis to attract bees. The wind does all the heavy lifting.

There's no need for cannabis to attract bees. The wind does all the heavy lifting.
Well if you look in the op's picture, there absolutely IS a bee on this plant, and that means there is a reason for it, lol. Whether cannabis needs bees or not, bees need pollen (or nectar) and they aren't stupid, they go to flowers that have those things.

If the bees are on them, the pollen .. at least some of it, has already been released. I do still agree with your assessment of how to handle it tho, no sense in making it worse on purpose.
Or seeding your neighbors plants for 10 miles around you.

I hope your neighbours aren’t growing. They won’t be happy with you spreading pollen via wind and bees.
And yes, bees for some reason are attracted to girls in FULL BLOOM. It might be the smell, maybe.
Regardless of whether they are carrying pollen or not it’s too late for them to damage the girls via pollination , they just get stuck to the sticky buds and can’t fly away, so they die and are a bloody pain in the ass to pick off when harvesting.
Dj

Well if you look in the op's picture, there absolutely IS a bee on this plant, and that means there is a reason for it, lol. Whether cannabis needs bees or not, bees need pollen (or nectar) and they aren't stupid, they go to flowers that have those things.
Bees are looking for nectar. The pollen gets on their legs and the next flower they get nectar from gets pollinated from the pollen stuck to the bee.

There is no nectar in cannabis.

Why a bumble bee was on the male cannabis plant??

That's an excellent question.

My guess - they found something on the plant they need. Could be honeydew from another insect feeding on the plant. Could be they are harvesting resin for making/building the bee hive (propolis) or something as simple as they are thirsty.

They do collect pollen for food. Maybe the bee sensed (smelled) the pollen that is about to be released and was collecting some.... not sure how tho - that plant they were interested in hasn't opened pollen sacks yet. Maybe they can collect it anyway somehow??

I'll have to go take a look at Cornell University Hemp program website. They did a study on bees and cannabis.

Found it.... bees collect pollen from male cannabis plants for food:

"Honeybees, bumblebees, and other native bees visit male hemp flowers for their pollen but do not visit female plants (they do not offer any nectar)."

That doesn't explain why they were all over my female plants last year, bumbles mostly. Bees see in a color range we can not. All it would take is for one to land on the plant walk around a bit then leave to spread pollen. (any flying insect for that matter) It would really not matter if it got anything or not. Just say-en from my own observations.

Well, I live in the middle of the city basically, so I assume I see less bees than you might in a more rural situation, but the bees I did see never even looked at my mj flowers. I sat with the plants a lot, and I saw plenty of flies and other bugs Idk the names of just sittin' around on it, hunting mostly from what I could see. But I never saw a single one land on, nor get stuck on, my lady plant parts. Maybe it is a situation of what other food is available, I always have a lot of flowers around for the bees.

We in farm country. There are be hives every other property. We also grow a lot of flowers and have a meadow of wild flowers and grow clover.

Bees everywhere cept on my cannabis plants.

Drama alert:

My girls dont have flowers and my boys are dead. So sad....

(not really) lol.

That doesn't explain why they were all over my female plants last year, bumbles mostly. Bees see in a color range we can not. All it would take is for one to land on the plant walk around a bit then leave to spread pollen. (any flying insect for that matter) It would really not matter if it got anything or not. Just say-en from my own observations.
I hear you Morda, I have bees just after they go into flower and stay for the remainder of the grow. I only grow feminized. I don't know a whole lot about bees, but whatever works I say.

Hi all! I have been watching baby bees grow up having a ball on my plants that are already flowering…. Will this hurt my plants or keep them from growing or will it help my plants to make them stronger and bigger? Thank you so much in advance. They don’t bother me even if I’m super close they are just having a field day on them. however if it’s hurting them I may want to bring them inside or in a tent?
Nature is full of symbiotic relationships. I would grow extra just for them. I love hummingbirds.

I hope your neighbours aren’t growing. They won’t be happy with you spreading pollen via wind and bees.
And yes, bees for some reason are attracted to girls in FULL BLOOM. It might be the smell, maybe.
Regardless of whether they are carrying pollen or not it’s too late for them to damage the girls via pollination , they just get stuck to the sticky buds and can’t fly away, so they die and are a bloody pain in the ass to pick off when harvesting.
Dj
Maybe the bees down under are just “special education “ bees

I kind of figured they were coming in for some of those high speed glassy trichomes. They like 'em too. And I wasn't talking to the hummingbird but I felt it was rude not to answer his questions.

Hi all! I have been watching baby bees grow up having a ball on my plants that are already flowering…. Will this hurt my plants or keep them from growing or will it help my plants to make them stronger and bigger? Thank you so much in advance. They don’t bother me even if I’m super close they are just having a field day on them. however if it’s hurting them I may want to bring them inside or in a tent?
Hey there @Thesunshinebaker,
Please click this link: Unwanted Seeds
It's a thread that I started last year on this very same subject.

Hope this helps... :smokin:

Back
Top Bottom