Beginner! Help, what should I do? Seedling humidity is ok, but the soil is dry

kreikrei

420 Member
Sorry if wrong section...

Hi, first time grower. I have read that best temeprature for sprouting is 26-28 celsius (about 80F) and humidity is 70-80%. I also have read that overwatering is a popular beginner problem.

Maybe I am overthinking it, but here is my issue. I would appreciate your help. HELP THE PLANTS, if not me :)

Stats first
240 w Kingbrtite with cree red 25 inches from pots. (50% intensity to get the 26-28 celsium temp)
3X3x6 Tent.
Biobizz light mix.
5 gallon airpot
2 Dutch Passion (Think different) autos

Guys, maybe I am overtinking it.

1. I presoaked my soil (with about 30% pot volume, it dried in ventilated dark area to acceptable wetness in 5 days)
  2. Sprouted seed in paper towel, planted seed.
  3. Put up a home made humidity dome - bottom of 1.5liter bottle with 4 holes on top for air circulation.
12 hours have passed.

My AC infinity controller probe shows 65-70% humidity in my dome, but the SOIL IS DRY 3-4CM DEEP. Very dry. It is dry because to reach 26-28 celsium I have 240 w light on 50% intensity. I dont have a CFL light.

So is this OK? Should I squirt some 10 ml (10squirts) of water around the dome to make the soil a bit wetter?

If I do that, humidity goes to 85% (in the dome) and slowly goes back to 65-70% in an hour or two. (as the soil dries up again)

I am very confused. I cant spray too much water, that raises humidity in dome over 90%.

I also cant turn down the lights, then the temperature goes down.

Sorry for the long post...

TLDR: Humidity dome microclimate is good, but soil is dry.What to do?

Thank you very much!

Good start.
Not a bad thing being dry on top layer, especially around the seedling base. Helps not having the damping off problem, which is stem rot. Water from the bottom if you can * nix that idea, forgot your in 5gallons already, Just water like 1/4 cup worth around the seedling . As far as humidity, 100% wont hurt.

Good start.
Not a bad thing being dry on top layer, especially around the seedling base. Helps not having the damping off problem, which is stem rot. Water from the bottom if you can. As far as humidity, 100% wont hurt
Thanks for replying!
Dont you think more than 90% humidity might harm the sedlings, even rot them?
Sorry, I dont want to be argumentative, but most places say 80% is a good dome humidity until sprout. Ill be honest, the information on growing is a bit overwhelming so I learned only a little from many topics

So basically - as long as dome microclimate is good (my humidity sensor is 1 cm from ground in dome), I should just be patient for sprout ? That mans Ill need to spray about 10-20ml for each plant every 4-6 hours. If I wait longer , it goes under 70%
Then I will take the domes off and turn on the humidifer. Currently humidity outside dome is about 40%, inside about 70-80%

You can use the "Report" link at the bottom of one of your posts to notify the forum staff that you posted the thread in the wrong section and would like for it to be removed (be polite and thank them, lol). You could also use it to delete one, but only do that if there is cause (e.g., accidentally posted two threads about the same subject, etc.).

Keep soil moist when germinating seeds. Humidity dome is more trouble than it's worth, because newbies get confused about its purpose and use... If soil is drying out, that's your priority concern. You do not want the contents of the seed to dry out before it has a chance to live, and that can happen if/when your soil dries out thoroughly in the region of the seed. Humidity in dome is rising? So what, there's not actually a plant there yet.

Thanks for replying!
Dont you think more than 90% humidity might harm the sedlings, even rot them?
Sorry, I dont want to be argumentative, but most places say 80% is a good dome humidity until sprout. Ill be honest, the information on growing is a bit overwhelming so I learned only a little from many topics

So basically - as long as dome microclimate is good (my humidity sensor is 1 cm from ground in dome), I should just be patient for sprout ? That mans Ill need to spray about 10-20ml for each plant every 4-6 hours. If I wait longer , it goes under 70%
Then I will take the domes off and turn on the humidifer. Currently humidity outside dome is about 40%, inside about 70-80%
honestly, Seedlings in domes is over rated, Never done it, never will. just control the total atmosphere to 70% for 2 weeks, then drop it 10% a week till till you hit around 40%. By that time, you should be well into flower with an auto

Welcome @kreikrei ! :welcome:

Using a dome with seeds is a good way to help keep the soil moist until the seedling breaks the surface, but then the dome needs to come off like @Mayne said.. I like to start my seeds with a 24 hour soak in a glass of water, after which those that have split their seed coat and are showing a small bit of root go directly into soil. Those that haven't popped get put in a moist paper towel inside a plastic bag and kept warm and dark until they sprout.

The way I like to prepare my soil mix is to oversaturate the mix and then take handfuls and squeeze it hard until all of the excess water drips out. It will then have about the moisture content of a wrung out sponge which should be about perfect for starting seeds.

Hi @kreikrei and welcome to the forum! I'm an outdoor greenhouse grower in the tropics. When I sprout seeds on wet paper towel, I wait until they develop 1/2 inch roots, then from there they go into 2" square pots with my custom sprouting soil mixture, which is high in coco coir and has some perlite in it. I put dry soil mixture in each pot, and then water each pot thoroughly with distilled water. I poke a nice 1-inch deep hole in the center of each pot with a sterilized implement, for example the handle of a pair of tweezers. Then in go the sprouted seeds very carefully, using the tweezers, and gently covering the hole. From there I take them to my veg greenhouse and place them in my clone humidity dome... but not for the humidity... only because it's a protective place for them to develop. I don't spray the inside of the dome like I would with clones. My clone dome is sheltered from the sun... I run a 35w LED grow light on it. When the baby plants are big enough, I transplant to 1 gal. pots containing my custom grow mix, which contains compost soil, coir, perlite, home-grown worm castings, and organic nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom