Black patches on forming buds

I'm starting to see black staining on the leaves of some of the buds forming on one of my outdoor plants.
msg #18....
I've got a little bit of that going on too.
and from msg #19......
I too have the purpling happening on my outdoor gals,

What I have noticed in the available photos is that the black or dark purple is that is it in distinctive splotches. The leaf or the finger is green and then suddenly there is the dark color.

When someone posts pictures of their purple buds or plants it is more of a gradual fading of the green starting to turn purple. Even the photos showing really deep purple plants are not this sort of dark purple or black.

Mine didn't go purple a couple of years ago until temps dipped low enough to interfere with phosphorus uptake.
What I've got on my plant is actually black, and while I've grown quite a few plants with purple genetics, I've never seen it come in like this.

I'll try to get better pics od it tomorrow morning.
Whoops, I just went out to try to get better pics.

It still doesn't seem to be spreading any more, but these two spots do look slightly bigger.
I'd say you've got black mold or another one of the many molds that affect cannabis. Remove the affected leaves! Then use an appropriate spray.
I'm still trying to get a definitive identification of it.
I've hit it with a potassium bicarbonate spray, and that seems to have slowed it down, and it hasn't spread to any other spots on the plant.
Any suggestions for an id, or a better spray?

That is a Phytoplasma, spread mainly by leafhoppers.

We have been dealing with it for about 10 years, here in North east Kentucky. We've literally lost 1000s of plants, including males. It usually happens right when plants start to bud.

It doesnt matter about the seed source ect, and w'eve had it happen to every seed source we've used. We've lost 1000s of dollars worth of seeds.

It never happens inside. YET.

Sometimes the plants grow out of it, and have no problems. But from our experience, it is usually a death sentence for the plant. And it is extremely contagious. Dont touch an infected plant, and then touch any of your other plants. And dont use tools that you have used on these plants, with uninfected plants.

Its similar to a Viroid, and there IS NO CURE. The only thing you can really do is try and keep the leafhoppers/bugs off of the plants.

That is a Phytoplasma, spread mainly by leafhoppers.

We have been dealing with it for about 10 years, here in North east Kentucky. We've literally lost 1000s of plants, including males. It usually happens right when plants start to bud.

It doesnt matter about the seed source ect, and w'eve had it happen to every seed source we've used. We've lost 1000s of dollars worth of seeds.

It never happens inside. YET.

Sometimes the plants grow out of it, and have no problems. But from our experience, it is usually a death sentence for the plant. And it is extremely contagious. Dont touch an infected plant, and then touch any of your other plants. And dont use tools that you have used on these plants, with uninfected plants.

Its similar to a Viroid, and there IS NO CURE. The only thing you can really do is try and keep the leafhoppers/bugs off of the plants.
She's had leafhoppers on her all season.
They're a problem every few years, and this year I've seen more of them, and of a wider variety of species than usual.
It doesn't seem to be spreading anymore, but with something like that it sounds like I definitely wouldn't want to bring her into the tent to finish.
Thanks Jimi!

I just did some reading on phytoplasma, and searching for images brought up this.
Look familiar?
Screenshot_20230904_082722_Firefox.jpg

Looks spot on to me. Maybe next year some kind of netting like bird netting but smaller holes will keep them out. Maybe a few manti inside the enclosure to be safe. Shitty leaf hoppers
I wish I could build an enclosure back there, but it's not really possible at the moment.
Leafhoppers are also quite small. 5 to 10mm, and slender. I've heard they have a hard time keeping them out of greenhouses.
This is going to require some thought.

Back
Top Bottom