Black patches on forming buds

Hi everyone,
I'm starting to see black staining on the leaves of some of the buds forming on one of my outdoor plants.
Strain: Lemonchello Haze
Medium: Promix organic moisture mix
Nutes: MC
Outdoors, 110 days old, in flower for about two weeks.
I saw and plucked the one in the pic yesterday, and I found two more on the opposite side of the plant on two different branches this morning. I've left them where they are for now to see what develops.
The leaves are black at the base, but not deformed, and there's no visible growths like mould or fungus, but I don't really know what else they can be unless this strain turns black/purple in an unusual way. It didn’t turn purple the last time I grew it, but this one seems to be a different phenotype.

Hi everyone,
I'm starting to see black staining on the leaves of some of the buds forming on one of my outdoor plants.
Strain: Lemonchello Haze
Medium: Promix organic moisture mix
Nutes: MC
Outdoors, 110 days old, in flower for about two weeks.
I saw and plucked the one in the pic yesterday, and I found two more on the opposite side of the plant on two different branches this morning. I've left them where they are for now to see what develops.
The leaves are black at the base, but not deformed, and there's no visible growths like mould or fungus, but I don't really know what else they can be unless this strain turns black/purple in an unusual way. It didn’t turn purple the last time I grew it, but this one seems to be a different phenotype.
Looks like Blight

blight, mold rot, fungus. it's the time of year that it shows up if you are outdoor in many parts of canada.
@DeltaDubie is dealing with it as well. exact same stuff.

I've been looking up blight, and the only two suggestions (aside from prevention, which is hardly helpful to people already searching for info) have been trying a potassium bicarbonate spray, or destroying the infected plant.
I'll try the spray, since I already have the ingredients, and it doesn't seem too advanced yet.

I've been looking up blight, and the only two suggestions (aside from prevention, which is hardly helpful to people already searching for info) have been trying a potassium bicarbonate spray, or destroying the infected plant.
I'll try the spray, since I already have the ingredients, and it doesn't seem too advanced yet.

sulphur burners will halt it. it's not a solution for most home growers though. you don't see them often outside of commercial style grows.

sulphur burners will halt it. it's not a solution for most home growers though. you don't see them often outside of commercial style grows.
I thought those were only really useful for indoor spaces?
You're right though, not really an option for me.
Looks similar, though I'm not getting the twisting foliage yet.
The potassium bicarbonate spray recipe I found is 3 tbs potassium bicarbonate, 3tbs oil, 1/2 tsp castile soap in one gallon of water.
I can tell you that anything over 1/2 tbs per litre will turn your stigmas brown, but I don't really know how that affects further bud growth.
I'll post any results I get from it here.

I thought those were only really useful for indoor spaces?
You're right though, not really an option for me.

burners are used mostly outdoor or in greenhouse. they are not really indoor friendly. burner = something burning

Looks similar, though I'm not getting the twisting foliage yet.
The potassium bicarbonate spray recipe I found is 3 tbs potassium bicarbonate, 3tbs oil, 1/2 tsp castile soap in one gallon of water.
I can tell you that anything over 1/2 tbs per litre will turn your stigmas brown, but I don't really know how that affects further bud growth.
I'll post any results I get from it here.

would like to see it as well.

burners are used mostly outdoor or in greenhouse. they are not really indoor friendly. burner = something burning
The image I had was like an incense burner, or one of those oil burners used for aromatherapy.
Guess I have some reading to do, lol.
would like to see it as well.
Results, good or bad, will be posted here and in my journal.

The image I had was like an incense burner, or one of those oil burners used for aromatherapy.

you're not far off. just bigger and gas or electric powered. you can get sulphur candles as well.

I had a few indoor plants that picked up something that looked like that. Caught it when it must have first started and it looked similar to what we see in Melville Hobbes' photo. There was a bit of some leaves starting to twist but overall appearance was not as bad as what we see in DeltaDubie's photo.

Really do not remember exactly what I did but most likely it was spraying with Nuk 'Em at "Strong Strength" as shown on the label and website. Would have sprayed twice a day for 2 or 3 days, taken a break for a day and sprayed a couple times for one more day.

I do not remember throwing any plants away as part of fixing the problem so the spraying must have worked.

I had a few indoor plants that picked up something that looked like that. Caught it when it must have first started and it looked similar to what we see in Melville Hobbes' photo. There was a bit of some leaves starting to twist but overall appearance was not as bad as what we see in DeltaDubie's photo.

Really do not remember exactly what I did but most likely it was spraying with Nuk 'Em at "Strong Strength" as shown on the label and website. Would have sprayed twice a day for 2 or 3 days, taken a break for a day and sprayed a couple times for one more day.

I do not remember throwing any plants away as part of fixing the problem so the spraying must have worked.

i wondering if its a bug eating at the plant

I've had plants that showed purple that looked like that when they were unfolding. Is it everywhere? Or a few tips? I'd watch them for a few days, like you said, no twisting or growths. She doesn't look to be too far along, could always clip her tips if it's bugging you, but I'd observe first, if things start wilting or something then it's time to act.

I mixed up a batch of the potassium bicarbonate spray, and gave the Lemonchello Haze a full spraying.
Hey @Melville Hobbes, potassium sorbate is probably what you're looking for but you might've caught it already.
edit: nvm I see Lerugged cleared it up in your thread already but potassium bicarbonate might work too.
One is acidic and one alkaline in pH and some quick searching seems to suggest an alkaline one might be better because things like botrytis thrive in slightly acidic conditions more than alkaline ones. Anyway, if you stick to the baking soda I'm interested to see how it does.

Also, I see shed mentioned maybe mixing both. When you mix potassium bicarbonate with an acid it creates carbon dioxide gas which according to chat GPT (lol) "carbon dioxide treatment has shown potential for reducing spoilage caused by Botrytis cinerea in fruits like strawberries and grapes".

I've had plants that showed purple that looked like that when they were unfolding. Is it everywhere? Or a few tips? I'd watch them for a few days, like you said, no twisting or growths. She doesn't look to be too far along, could always clip her tips if it's bugging you, but I'd observe first, if things start wilting or something then it's time to act.
It's a few buds. The first one and one of the current spots are from midway along the branch, and the last one is from a tip.
They're not deformed at the moment, but they're still really small. I'm leaving them to see what happens.
I've had plants show light purple in spots like that while growing, but more uniform and never black like these. Even the Dark Devil from earlier in this grow wasn't this dark.
I don't think Lemonchello Haze is supposed to turn purple in flower either.
Hey @Melville Hobbes, potassium sorbate is probably what you're looking for but you might've caught it already.
edit: nvm I see Lerugged cleared it up in your thread already but potassium bicarbonate might work too.
One is acidic and one alkaline in pH and some quick searching seems to suggest an alkaline one might be better because things like botrytis thrive in slightly acidic conditions more than alkaline ones. Anyway, if you stick to the baking soda I'm interested to see how it does.

Also, I see shed mentioned maybe mixing both. When you mix potassium bicarbonate with an acid it creates carbon dioxide gas which according to chat GPT (lol) "carbon dioxide treatment has shown potential for reducing spoilage caused by Botrytis cinerea in fruits like strawberries and grapes".
The potassium bicarbonate is alkaline, and as I understand it the fungus that might be causing this and botrytis can't survive in a high ph environment.
I wonder how they're using carbon dioxide to treat the grapes and strawberries. In an outdoor environment I would have thought it would disperse too quickly to be effective.
Something to look into, thanks.

20230902_182937.jpg
20230902_182908.jpg

I've got a little bit of that going on too.

I too have the purpling happening on my outdoor gals, but I assume it was due to the cooler nights. Have already dipped close to single digits mark a few times (Celsius wise) I will say that my Lemonchello Hazefrom Seedsman also purpled a bit when I did a tent grow of her a few years back. Love the strain

I too have the purpling happening on my outdoor gals, but I assume it was due to the cooler nights. Have already dipped close to single digits mark a few times (Celsius wise) I will say that my Lemonchello Hazefrom Seedsman also purpled a bit when I did a tent grow of her a few years back. Love the strain
Mine didn't go purple a couple of years ago until temps dipped low enough to interfere with phosphorus uptake.
What I've got on my plant is actually black, and while I've grown quite a few plants with purple genetics, I've never seen it come in like this.

I'll try to get better pics od it tomorrow morning.

Back
Top Bottom