Blessings to all! First timer looking for grow advice

justa noob

420 Member
Hey fellow 420'ers!

It's great to be apart of your community :)

I've done a fair bit of research and learnt the fundamentals (could still learn a whole lot more) but I was wondering if I could get some help with a few questions.

I basically ordered a 4x4 tent with 2000w LED and 6'' ventilation kit as a complete bundle from greenfingers hydroponics here in Australia - my research suggested 2000w was overkill but the company I made the purchase off insisted it would be perfect for this space and actually clarify this in the fine print of their product listing details which I will include at the bottom of this post, (the link is a little long sorry).

I'm looking at going with this DWC bubbleponic system here - DWC Bubbleponics Bucket Kit with 300mm Net Pot

If anyone has any objections with this choice of system or can find something better suited from these guys (their shop is in close proximity of me) please feel free to let me know, another option off the top of the head (if I were to go with 4 plants that is) is to purchase two of these systems - DWC OxyPot XL Bubbleponics Kit | 70L Deep Water Culture Kit | 1-2 Plants

The seed strains I have at disposal are 3xGelato, 3xGrand Daddy Bruce and 3x Alien Gorilla Glue.

With the details of equipment provided what would be the optimal amount of plants go to for?

I was thinking of buying 6 of the single DWC bubbleponic system in the first link and growing two of each strain, would this be achievable for a first timer or a recipe for disaster? this would also mean I would have 6 separate air pumps, (brace yourselves for a potentially stupid question) do these all require mains power individually and would they draw too much power?

Which brings me to my last question - am I looking at a pretty large increase in power bills moving forward?

If anyone has any input and suggestions they would be appreciated greatly!

Here is a link to the tent, lighting and ventilation bundle I will be running - Greenfingers Hydroponics Grow Tent Kit LED Grow Light Ventilation Kit Filter Fan | eBay

Thanks a million in advance and kindest regards to all!!!

Welcome @justa noob I don't know too much about tent grows or hydro but there are guys and gals here who do, so be patient and pretty soon folks who can help will do their best to give some advice if needed.
I'm from SA.

I had a look at your link and it looks like a pretty comprehensive kit all round. As to the power usage, I have no idea about exact usage but LED's are generally not high usage lights. I don't think you will have a major spike in power usage with those.
What do you guys think @Smeegol , @FoNz , @Old Salt , @Katins

High there! I don't think you're looking at substantial bill increase. Can't tell for sure without the data sheet of those lights, but I would say they shouldn't draw more than 200 watts from the wall. Real watts that is.
Regarding amount of plants, well I think you COULD grow all 9 in there. Shouldn't though :) 4 big plants would be optimal, I'd say.
Regarding DWC, if you feel confident, go for it. What can happen at worst? You lose a few seeds and some time, but gain some knowledge. However, having a few grows under my belt, I still wouldn't go with DWC. Just too many things to control, that can go wrong at any time. But that's just me :)

Kit is amazing for a first time grow, i would look into the different strains you have and maybe not mix too much, I'm growing an Alien Gorilla atm and its the shortest plant I've ever had.
Might be a headache with plants at different heights to begin with, "keep it simple" :)

Legends!

Glad to hear the equipment is good as it was a pretty spontaneous purchase, those normally don't work out for me lol, the company have a great reputation so that always helps!!

It's a huge relief knowing the power bill won't be through the roof too that's for sure!!

I guess I should do a bit more research on different systems, only reason I was leaning towards DWC is its supposedly easy for beginners and it apparently has great yield potential.

Will definitely look into the coco system suggested.

It felt all a bit daunting just a few hours ago but Iv'e had a browse through this forum and along with all your comments I'm soaking up a lot of invaluable knowledge so it's good to know I'm in good hands :)

Yeah mate that'll pretty much do you :)
The light is 380w+/-5%.
Ideally, you want 35-50w per square foot with those sort of lights.
4x4 is 16 square foot.
top end, 16x 50 is 800w. So you wouldn't go amiss getting some more power but there's plenty there for your first grow.
Make sure you get a decent pH meter and a decent ppm meter. The trick to growing hydro is to follow the numbers on the meters. All there is to it in a nut shell.
I'm pretty handy with a Res so feel free to ask any questions you might have.

I'd probably lean towards Coco or some other peat based soil-less mix for simplicity. Probably cheaper to get started too. From what I've heard, Coco is easier to source down under.

I'd probably lean towards Coco or some other peat based soil-less mix for simplicity. Probably cheaper to get started too. From what I've heard, Coco is easier to source down under.
Coco yes, other soiless media no. If it's not Coco then there's a million and one things go wrong with it and nobody can agree on how to fix it.
All these mad hybrid media that folk are using are no good. Coco and Pete together is no good as they both have completely different pH ranges and different behaviours.
Ie Coco should be fed as often as possible. Twice a day, 5 times a day, 24/7 if you want.
Pete does no like that sort of treatment.
It's closer to soil in its watering preferences even though it's a hydro method so nobody can ever agree on how to treat it. Or how to fix the problems that then arise from us all giving out different opinions.

I say stick to DWC. I grow hydro and I grow in pots. Hydro is a million miles easier in every aspect and the growth rates/yield are incomparable.
There's also very little variation on how hydro growers grow. We all pretty much do things the same way, regardless of what sort of system it is. They all follow the same rules so generally a lot easier to keep people right cos were not always arguing about how often to water or how much to feed.
We don't have to water them and the ppm meter tells you how strong to make the feed.
Can't get much more straight forward than that :)

Attached is a picture of the space I will be setting everything up in, I might to have dismantle the shelving to the right of the first photo to make extra room for fitting everything in, giving me more space to move around etc.

In the second photo you can see a vent leading directly outside being exposed to the elements, would it be advised to block this off entirely or would it be fine?

Also with it being currently exposed to the elements should I fumigate the room before setting everything up? Iv'e noticed a fair bit of spiders, mosquitoes and other creepy crawlies at times.

The room is a basement but it is ground level so it's not underground.

I will be sure to clean the whole room thoroughly before hand too! :goof:

Attachments

• vent.jpg
    vent.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 147
  • vent.jpg
    vent.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 153
I'd be inclined to vent my tent to the outside using your vent hole in your foundation. Cut a piece of drywall that will fit in your vent hole then cut a circular hole in that drywall to fit your tent exhaust ducting. I vent my tent that's in a closet to an attic space that way.

All these mad hybrid media that folk are using are no good. Coco and Pete together is no good as they both have completely different pH ranges and different behaviours.
Ie Coco should be fed as often as possible. Twice a day, 5 times a day, 24/7 if you want.
Pete does no like that sort of treatment.
It's closer to soil in its watering preferences even though it's a hydro method so nobody can ever agree on how to treat it. Or how to fix the problems that then arise from us all giving out different opinions.

You learn something every day... I'm using a coco/peat mix with my current grow, everything is great atm but will keep a closer eye on it now ,cheers :)

Brilliant ideas! thanks a mill guys :)

Do you think I will get away with not fumigating the room for pests or should I do it anyway just incase?

You learn something every day... I'm using a coco/peat mix with my current grow, everything is great atm but will keep a closer eye on it now ,cheers :)
Some folk can use it mate. It's just that it's one of these things that none of us can agree on.

Brilliant ideas! thanks a mill guys :)

Do think I will get away with not fumigating the room for pests or should I do it anyway just incase?
Do it anyway.... when you have a blank space its the best time for cleaning/fumigation

Back
Top Bottom