Blessings to all! First timer looking for grow advice

@jimbobdaz beauty thanks man, by hotbox you mean seal everything off before using the insect bomb right? Do I clean the walls before or afterwards?

I made a mistake posting that twice sorry o_O

Brilliant ideas! thanks a mill guys :)

Do you think I will get away with not fumigating the room for pests or should I do it anyway just incase?
If you fumigate, you'll have to give it a really good clean afterwards. So you'd be aswell just giving it a really good clean to start with. Do it thoroughly and you'll get the same result.
Also if you're growing in hydro bugs are less of an issue anyway cos there's no soil. Still get plant eaters but they don't like hydro weed much, especially if you use liquid scillica. Been growing in various attics and rooms for 3 years fairly carelessly in that respect and never had any issues.
Also can't fumigate if there's any animals in the house. Especially cats and aquatics. Even tiny amounts of what's used will generally kill them pretty quickly. Fucks your day right up if you breath it in too. Trust me I learned that one the hard way lol. Used to do it for a living.
If you've got the time though and don't mind the extra scrubbing/ possible man flu for a day, then it wouldn't hurt.
Zero pesticides around hydro grows though so you really gotta clean it afterwards. Some things like that are safe for soil but none I know of are safe for hydro.

Welcome to :420: Justa noob, your space is a decent one to start with, as stated previously, 9 plants would be crowded in that space, 4 plants would be better suited for a first time grow, and something I wish someone had told me for my first grow is don’t grow multiple strains at once, 2 is ok but try not to do more than that on your first go, different strains like different things and cause you to chase your tail if you don’t know what to look for as far as deficiencies or toxicity’s, different strains also have different resistance to mold or bugs. Being in a basement, you’ll see more humid conditions than you would of say in an attic or a first floor. As far as pest control, a good scrubbing with a bleach solution does a good job at killing things, and if there’s cracks near the floor of the foundation once you have your room setup sprinkle a line of a mix of cinnamon and garlic powder around your grow tent, ants hate cinnamon and won’t cross it, and will keep many other pests away as well. Cinnamon around the outside of your foundation is a good suggestion too and as a doubler, sprinkling garlic powder around your yard will help keeps ticks away and is safe for animals. Welcome along and cheers mate

Ahh yeah, good point there Camaro. Definitely stick to 1 or 2 strains. 1 would make your first grow a lot easier. I've been at this a while and still struggle with sativas so choose carefully and avoid the ones that take ages to bloom.
8-9 week 50/50 or slightly Indica leaning strains are the easiest to grow from my experience. I find them to be a lot more forgiving to environment and less pernickity with nutrient requirements. Bit more manageable growth patterns too.

Welcome @justa noob LOVE that room! Tents are awesome but I'm a DIY guy, get a huge kick out of seeing repurposed spaces and no cash outlays! Did you get your lights yet? I also am light obsessed. If those are Bestva's they get pretty good reviews but be careful with the cheap/noname led's. I see lots of people reselling their recent purchases. I'm not buying any more cheapo's after this first grow is in. They're working OK...but for a few more bucks (very few if you can go used) the big name brand LED's (Mars Hydro is a sponser here, hi @SmokeSara !) use way better tech and higher quality materials. My first purchase was a used 450w (202w at the wall) dimmable from another well known brand it's producing WAY better results compared to the cheapos I bought. This performance disparity is especially apparent in bloom. Cheers mate, GL to your grow! :yahoo:

Welcome @justa noob LOVE that room! Tents are awesome but I'm a DIY guy, get a huge kick out of seeing repurposed spaces and no cash outlays! Did you get your lights yet? I also am light obsessed. If those are Bestva's they get pretty good reviews but be careful with the cheap/noname led's. I see lots of people reselling their recent purchases. I'm not buying any more cheapo's after this first grow is in. They're working OK...but for a few more bucks (very few if you can go used) the big name brand LED's (Mars Hydro is a sponser here, hi @SmokeSara !) use way better tech and higher quality materials. My first purchase was a used 450w (202w at the wall) dimmable from another well known brand it's producing WAY better results compared to the cheapos I bought. This performance disparity is especially apparent in bloom. Cheers mate, GL to your grow! :yahoo:

DIY is awesome mate! I will probably use the room in the photos and DIY if I get good enough and want to expand in the future :) I thought it was the Bestva's model re branded but I just matched the specs and I don't think that is the case as the Bestva states that it replaces a 1400w hps/mh while mine states it replaces a 1000w hps/mh so thats a bit of a bummer I was hoping they were the same! guess I'll just see how it goes.

In the light description/spec sheet it says its perfect for vegetative coverage in a 4x4 tent at 24" height but it doesn't say anything about flowering coverage height, is there a basic rule of thumb for adjusting height for flowering or do I just keep it at the same height?

is there a basic rule of thumb for adjusting height for flowering or do I just keep it at the same height?
It depends on the light but they are adjusted closer than at the veg phase and usually set at around 12" - 24" from the plant.

Attachments

• 5718ff640702b52b218f8a51e5878aefe3c0f9cc.png
    5718ff640702b52b218f8a51e5878aefe3c0f9cc.png
    239 KB · Views: 49
Back
Top Bottom