Blueberry Kush Strain Review - Plant of the Month - September 2011

(SOURCE: Early Sample Harvest - August 2011)

This early sample harvest of BBK bud has been slowly curing in humidity controlled glass mason jars for exactly a year.

I figured that now is time to give this bud a serious look! Over the last 12 months, the color of the plant material has changed from a predominently blueish green, to a more lime green with hits of brilliant red interspirsed within the bud.

Here is what some of my BBK plants looked like while they were still alive in early September of 2011...

P1011403.jpg
P1011402.jpg
P1011404.jpg

The 12 month cured bud...

P10131931.JPG
P10131961.JPG
P1013201.JPG
P10132021.JPG

Now on to the review...

When I first sampled this strain soon after harvest, I didn't personally care for it. The THC content was very high, and the buzz was a bit too racy to suit my tastes.

However... Fastforward a year hence, and we find a totally different effect/experience. Just as the buds themselves have morphed into a far more interesting color scheme, the medicinal effects have mellowed consierably!

Instead of the "Five Cups of Espresso" effect, the smoke is now much more mellow. True, there is still a bit of an energy rush right after a toke... The overall effect is much more sedate and smooth. The smoke through a bong is sweet a pleasant with hints of Lavender and Strawberries. No harshness to speak of! Just a very nice satisfying smoke!

I have to say that I misjudged this strain at first taste. If left to cure for a respectable period of time, this strain produces a very impressive result! The buds are sticky and moist to the touch, as though they had been dipped in honey! The color is inviting and the buzz is very enjoyable!

I give this grow of BBK and strong 5 stars!

Very nice buds, Bro! And I remember them when they were just seedlings! :morenutes:

Hey Mr. K!

Don't I know it! You were right there following their progress for that entire grow, start to finish! I remember it well! :high-five:

Now I kinda wish that I had kept a few of them around for this season, but I never expected the buzz to change so dramatically. Definitely something to be said for a nice LOOooong cure!

Its standard practice with cigars to let them age for long periods of time, in climate controlled conditions to get them to taste their best! Guees the same can be applied to weed! LOL!

I know most folks don't have the patience to wait that long before consuming their harvests, but good things do come to those who wait! ;)

damn thats a nice plant mate, im trying to find a decent colourful strain also, the gdp looks good for that, might need to order me some new seeds

Thanks Man!

If you can find Blueberry Kush seeds or clones, I would definitely give them a try! They don't change color as dramatically as GDP does at harvest time, but as you can see from the final photos, that multi-colored look of BBK buds gets very deep and distinctive during a long cure after drying.

The medicinal effects are also very nice indeed! In fact... I just had a bowl of some before I started this reply session! :cheer::Namaste:

gorgeous looking plant! nice tacky flowers, so sugary and sweet looking... the bud looks great, a flav i will def have to try some time soon! :D yeah dude, im a BIG fan of long cures.. esp if i have a good quantity i always put a jar aside for later appreciation and eventually freeze(after around 3-4 mnths of curing)
keep up the great work! :goodjob::Namaste:

gorgeous looking plant! nice tacky flowers, so sugary and sweet looking... the bud looks great, a flav i will def have to try some time soon! :D yeah dude, im a BIG fan of long cures.. esp if i have a good quantity i always put a jar aside for later appreciation and eventually freeze(after around 3-4 mnths of curing)
keep up the great work! :goodjob::Namaste:

Thanks Man!

They were definitely an impressive group of plants! When I purchased the clones, I had no idea that they would turn into such impressive plants!

Looks amazing. I wonder how it compares to the blue widow I used to grow which was uplifting and made you feel happy as hell.

Thanks Bonzai!

I'm not familiar with the Blue Widow strain you are referring to, so I can't comment on any possible simalarities between that and my BBK strain.

One thing that has really become evident with this strain after curing for over a year... BBK definitely benefits from a very long and gradual curing process! As I mentioned in a previous post, the overall effects have completely changed over the last 12 months. After a few months of curing, the effects were still VERY strong and intense, but now the effects have mellowed considerably to the point that this strain has now become exteremely effective for controlling anxiety symptoms. Basically just the opposite of the high this bud produced when it was first chopped and even after a 2 month cure.

I haven't seen such a radical change in the overall effect from a long cure before! Usually, the primary benefits from a 12+ month cure is all in the smoke and the flavor. The longer you let something cure, the smoother the hits are on the throat and the richer the overall flavor profile becomes.
Just goes to show that there is always something NEW to learn from this fasinating hobby of ours! :thumb:

Thanks for stopping by, and be sure to check out my primary grow journal! I am in the middle of my 2012 harvest right now with lots of photos and discussions with lots of strains. Some familiar, some brand new to our growing schedule!

Cheers. :)

Back
Top Bottom