Brightlight's Strain Fest: Organics & LED

re: Brightlight's Strain Fest - Organics & LED

Hey there BL some mighty fine looking buds there buddy! I love your description of the Sour-d you posted ... I love that feeling. Why I guess I like Chemdawg so much kinda reminds me of your description.

Lately I've been smoking a lot of weed that's pretty stony but I have a high tolerance so it's only stony for so long. I like you description of the Sour-d that's the way I like to feel and gravitate to those strains that do that for me.

Loved the discussion on different cultivars, thats always exciting to read first hand stuff I don't know or haven't seen before. I've been around weed for a long long time ... had access to the goodness in the 70s, took it all for granted, then war on drugs... and it was all about white powder and history repeating itself despite the hippy wisdom.

I've actually been looking at some strains from Northern India and Nepal. One is Malana Cream... there's a new grower from India here and he's growing it and started a journal ...Once he gave me the name of the strain he was running, google to the rescue. Yeah wow... I'd love to go back and get some of the traditional strains .... the black hash we used to smoke back it the day was outta this world.

Yeah so check out Malana Cream - pure Himalayan Charas Plant.. these are plants that humans used for meds for centuries until Amerika.

I love to read up on the history of this plant... South America/South East Asia/Himalayan region/ NorCal too ... they are all unique and exciting to find the sources of all our goodness we are growing today.

Agree bob...the Chem & Sour highs are as much about the pleasant & warm head high as the raw power.:high-five: Sour Diesels & Chemdogs are like interchangeable parts for me. Never tire of either. The ECSDH Haze side added some Haze clearness & sense of well being. It's the go to 1st bowl of the day strain of this last run.

I grew Barney's Farm Violator Kush outdoors. It's the Malana Charas crossed w/ Hindu Kush. Squat, kush structure, leafy buds but serious sativa influence in the high. Landrace sativa from 7000+ elevation. Something about high altitude herb. A likable & memorable strain. Check out some pics of Malana Valley. Like Shangri La. Regional people have different appearance that some say came from Greek soldiers way back when. Some even say from Alexander the Great's army. :Namaste:

Quick garden look at 42 days.

IMG_338913.jpg
IMG_338618.jpg
IMG_338518.jpg

:circle-of-love: :Namaste:

These look quite tasty :passitleft:

Hello BL, your plants look wonderful and Im like wow 42 days and mine are at 31 days and dont look as developed of course but Im just curious how much bigger/better mine will be in 10 days. Lets see what 10 days does.
I wonder the yellow paper in your pic?? It looks like sticky paper for bugs and I see black specks? I dont notice anything flying around my tent. I figure if you do it I should too but what is it??
Thanks Brightlight.

Hello BL, your plants look wonderful and Im like wow 42 days and mine are at 31 days and dont look as developed of course but Im just curious how much bigger/better mine will be in 10 days. Lets see what 10 days does.
I wonder the yellow paper in your pic?? It looks like sticky paper for bugs and I see black specks? I dont notice anything flying around my tent. I figure if you do it I should too but what is it??
Thanks Brightlight.

A 10 day span in the 5th to 6th wk. range is dynamite time for bud development. Based on bud appearance alone, a couple could be picked right now so I have some early birds in there. The "yellow paper" is a sticky trap. That one was started last grow & used again this time as gnat problems have been workable lately. They won't trap enough to eliminate or control but good as a barometer of how bad the situation may be. Female fungus gnats lay 200+ eggs so every one I catch helps. Hope you never get them but as far as pests go, they are "better" than most others. I use BT, chitin, Rosemary & Clove oil to treat & control. They can get out of control fast so population has to be kept to a minimum. Insidious little bastards are hard to totally eliminate. :Namaste:

I don't think we will ever totally get rid of them little buggers.. It's funny as hell,, I'm not sure if it's fungus gnats or a fruit fly,, but every once in awhile I'll get one buzzing me while on the pc.. I always thought it was just from being awake too long.. Cus I can never catch the sucker.. But all in all them gnats seem to like coco and organics.. But like you said,, we can live with 2 or 3 gnats... Keepem Green

Yeah me too, they seem to like the bright light of the computer screen. Or near the bathroom sinks close to water. When they start showing up around the house, it's time to get into a more serious battle in the grow room. Cooking dirt in the garage is hot bed & ground zero for my little band of gnats.

Couple of pics of buds from latest grow.
LA Affie
This is the Cali Connection version. Haven't tried the DNA version. Grew it outdoors in 2014 & liked it a lot. Fine head high even though 100% indica. Mellow sense of well being. Indicas get a bad rap imo. All this talk about couch lock. If thats what's desired, they will deliver, but if grown & harvested carefully, there is always a enjoyable head high at the outset to most indicas. Not like sativas for sure but few mention this aspect of indicas. LAA will deliver a fine balanced high...don't worry, the sleepiness if that's what's desired, will come as w/ most indicas after a few bowls. Fat round buds but overall not a great yielder. Lanky for indica. I was inattentive & she grew a few seeds down below but no real detriment.
IMG_332418.jpg
IMG_332616.jpg

Purple Afghan Kush
A Dinafem freebie. Another of my 1 gal. plants wedged in between the others. Well suited for purpose as she grew pretty much as a single cola, laterals stayed tight to main stem. As w/ most Dinafems I've grown....a good but not great strain. DinaChem is an exception. Best Dinafem to date & only one I've bought. High good but no match for in overall complexity & effect to other preferred indicas....for example like the LA Affie. Color & fragrance get top grades but less so on effect. Strong enough but just kind of a dull stone as Graytail aptly described. Strong berry, grape, floral fragrance that held through term & harvest. Not a strain that I'd actually buy seeds to grow, but a fun to grow freebie.
IMG_331814.jpg

:circle-of-love::Namaste:

I've been noticing just what you describe, after growing my first indica in some time. There a head high for sure, but it's like a real clear sativa in a sense - where it's not buzzy or stoney, just elevated and calm. They both look gorgeous, and oh so tasty. Missed that indica flavor intensity too. :thumb:

Nice work Brightlight. I noticed my Chemies laterals are growing close to the stock too and looks like a small yielder. Im thinking it will make up for it with quality. I wonderd if they had more room would they be bushier. Im thinking no. Im looking foreword to its smoke.
No gnats for me in the tent but last yard harvest I had these flying around while trimming in the kitchen. I think its a fungus gnat?
Thanks BL.
20161119_153344.jpg
20161119_153228.jpg

Nice work Brightlight. I noticed my Chemies laterals are growing close to the stock too and looks like a small yielder. Im thinking it will make up for it with quality. I wonderd if they had more room would they be bushier. Im thinking no. Im looking foreword to its smoke.
No gnats for me in the tent but last yard harvest I had these flying around while trimming in the kitchen. I think its a fungus gnat?
Thanks BL.
20161119_153344.jpg
20161119_153228.jpg

Good photos.

That looks more like a carpenter bee or a leaf-cutter bee than a fungus gnat. But maybeit's just the stance.

I've been noticing just what you describe, after growing my first indica in some time. There a head high for sure, but it's like a real clear sativa in a sense - where it's not buzzy or stoney, just elevated and calm. They both look gorgeous, and oh so tasty. Missed that indica flavor intensity too. :thumb:

Great to hear. Believe me, wondered why I don't hear more about this nice aspect of most indicas.

You take great bud shots.
Is your secret bright light ?

Natural light is always preferred. Dried bud shots taken on kitchen counter that has large window. Live plant & bud shots taken in grow room also using window light. Taken on iPad. Harvest plant & bud pics w/ full black background use flash since I run light period until noon, allow 6-8 hrs. dark, then harvest. So it's either dark or getting there by that time & I have to use little point & shoot Canon that has flash. To me flash changes the actual colors somewhat.

Awesome journal and description of the high u get from the Indicas. If u don't mind me asking what were your favorite indica dom/ strains you've tried

Sensi Star comes to mind easily. A long time fav that I try to always keep in stock. Mendo Purps is another favorite, like SS a noticeably up indic a. To me always more up than her close relative Purple Urkle. No seeds for the longest time, now available. Used to grow from clone. Shows up a lot in crosses. Gonna have to think more about your question & get back to you. Include OG's or Chems? Post a few you like or qualities you seek, might be able to match up w/ some similar strains. Others can add too. J....always feel free to ask whatever you wish.

Looks fantastic! .

Welcome Skunk. Thanks for joining us....& join right in anytime you wish.

:circle-of-love: :Namaste:

Brightlight Thank you for showing those amazing plants to the world. I honestly don't understand how you seem to harvest a plant so often. The colors on them are amazing. Organics right? :thumb:

Thanks BL.
20161119_153344.jpg
20161119_153228.jpg

It's a fly that mimics bees. I see them outside around my basil plants all the time. I think they feed on the nectar of most plants like bees.

Back
Top Bottom