Brightlight's Strain Fest: Organics & LED

re: Brightlight's Strain Fest - Organics & LED

Mining for gold! Right on Woody.

Hey Doc how do you tell which seed chuckers are the real deal??

FOR ME, it's all about results and I have to give it a name so I go with the breeder I bought them from. Then over time, cream floats and the bullshit stinks. So it gets parsed out.... coin gets spent .... this is a HUGE industry and the $$ is in genetics. Think about it.... with seed there's much less risk that growing flowers all year.

The Arjan vs Mr Nice thing has been going on for how long .... forever... sometimes I think it's all a bunch of hooey to promote themselves and keep their names out there. Wait till som BigAg Corporation offers a shit ton of cash for Mr Nice's seed bank and see if he doesn't cave and sell out.... just sayin... I think Arjan is just a step a head of Leo seems to me. Who's pissin in who's cornflakes this week blah blah.... nothing new really.

There are some good seedbanks out there not just 1 or 2 there are several. I'm sticking with the ones I now that are in the States and when I get a keeper I keep it that easy. I don't care the name, I have to call it something.

Many of the original old school genetics need to be worked to get them up to today's standards. Chemdawg @ 32% THC.... that's not the original version. It's been tweaked. The genetics in each plant are VERY diverse and very easy to change just with environmental conditions. Chances you grow out the original version of the plant the seed came from, very very difficult to do. Take a cutting, soak it in chemicals .... even a clone can grow different than its mother when they are treated like that.....

The one thing is for sure, once the humans get finished mucking about with this plants genetics, all the original genes will be there and plants left to their own devices, will go back to its genetic beginnings and the round ball will keep turning..

Doc not arguing here... I agree with what you're saying 100%. The $$ brings out the BS ... human nature. Just need to find credibility as in everything else in life. The search for Truth.... the path I choose. Not for everyone unfortunately.

Pisces Genetics Cookie Tang
Here's one that I've been enjoying. Cookie Tang is Forum cut GSC x Sour Tangie. My 1st Pisces strain didn't disappoint. This one is the 1st Forum cut GSC in the ongoing "cookie tour". I've seen some polls where growers listed their favorite cookie cut....Forum is usually at or near the top. The OGKB in the DoSiDo's is excellent, but the Forum got my attention. The Sour Diesel always adds great things to any hybrid in my opinion, & the Tangie is reliable to provide that distinctive citrus taste & smell. To me the Tangie high really isn't anything terribly exciting....I think it's used for the extreme citrus/orange traits. Taste is so astringent it's reminds me of Listerine. The smell was the most potent somewhere ~6-7 wks. where I got a short period of unmistakable orange blossoms. Breeder Jimmynitz has written where he only releases hybrids that match up together perfectly. I can see his philosophy in this strain. Superb potency, excellent high type & quality, & very pretty buds of army green with purple interiors. High level frost. Grew like a wild branchy sativa w/ only medium yield. Overall I like it & will grow it again.
IMG_324115.jpg
IMG_324717.jpg
IMG_334615.jpg
IMG_334814.jpg

:circle-of-love::Namaste:

Hey there BL - really digging that Chemdawg you have there... wow she's a big one. That tall pheno is a surprise... all of a sudden 3x stretch and the fun begins. I like the way you let your plants grow and the Chem-d looks about perfect! Thats going to be a big yielder too.

Congrats on the Journal of the Month too... nice!

New lighting is always a big ?? for me... we never know, just gotta take a leap of faith. I think you will be fine, it looks like you are getting great penetration and for me that's what I look for in a good light ... that and produce! You have that in spades!

The Brightlight Mega is working fine....love its even coverage & seeming penetration so far. Frost levels ok for 4 wks. Only thing noted so far is only faint appearance of color on a single plant. May be too early but I do have one other strain in there that should be blasting out purple but not yet. So far so good. I keep a close watch on yours & CareStaker's Timbers.

Congrats on the journal of the month BL! Nice!
I thought the same thing about big top leafs over the big bottoms but Im not sure. When you take them off the top they look so butchered. It will just be the damaged ones off the bottom. Funny how theres so many opinions on defoil. I like the looks of Manifolding and Im wondering if youve done a side by side experiment with it?? Camera angle or not your grow looks great!!
Thanks.

Don't take off any top fans 4D until it's obvious that you should....shading/covering bud tips below. Leave the bottoms....they will eventually fade by supplying its N to rest of plant then die off on its own. I think that mainline or manifold technique calls for topping very early & ending up w/ fewer but fat, huge colas. Right? I prefer many laterals that I try to grow up into a somewhat even canopy except for the main apical stem. Old school I guess. Indoors I just tried to replicate smaller versions of my outdoor plants. Old man...old habits.

Firstly, this thread, which I just found, is excellent! .

Now, to address the above...
The reason that more Chemdog related hybrids aren't available, is because not that many people have the actual, original P1 clones. The Chem D clone, for example, trades for huge $$$$$, if it can even be sourced through verified channels. There are huge Colorado grows offering big money for the real deal but family out there that holds the D clone lol at that silly shit. Dilute the quality, dilute the legacy, not a chance. The vast majority of "chemdog" and "sour diesel" seeds being sold, simply aren't "as labeled" and most are generated from polyhybrid crosses made by cash hungry pollen chuckers to begin with.
Also, fuckery from shops like Greenhouse Seed Co., who simply co-opt names to cash in. Arjan has been unapologetically doing it for years. OG Kush, Sour Diesel, Chemdog, he's "borrowed" the names without bothering to acquire the genetics. Barney's Farm, the same shit. The Dutch are crooked as fuck-if you don't believe me, look up "Dutch East India Company/opium wars" or tulip bulb market manipulation, and the seed business is just a 21st Century version of that. Back to topic: When people buy the wonky-named seeds, they of course stick with the name, so a "chemdog" clone that isn't, goes around mislabeled, pissing in the gene pool, diluting the name.
I've had the Chem D clone, Sour D, and many others, for decades. They don't get sold, they don't get traded, and a person has pretty much gotta' be family or have some sick credibility to have them offered. When buying seeds, today "CAVEAT EMPTOR!" is the bottom line. If a grower sees pretty pics on a seed site, remember: They're likely pinched from Instagram & not indicative of what your results will look like-in fact, the picture probably doesn't represent the genetics being sold at all. For solid genetics, I recommend Mr. Nice Seeds. Shanti has original P1 stock from Neville that goes all the way back to Sam the Skunkman and Positronics-Serious OG genetics. The market right now is 97% garbage poly-polyhybrids/fems and autos, and (imo) polys are okay if you can ascertain lineage (which is rare) & like unicorn hunting, but fems have No Place in the picture & autos are only good if you're CBD focused or have a hemp fetish. All righty, end rant .
Again, killer thread man, fun stuff!!

- Doc

Welcome DoctorGonzo. Thanks for joining us. Congrats on having a true Chem D cut. You are very lucky. I agree with much of what you say but as a strain fiend I actually love the modern genetics scene. Poly-hybrids are all over the map in terms of genetic expression but without them I wouldn't be able to try all the exotics & rare cuts. Sure there are some shysters out there but there are also some talented true pothead breeders who love the plant & are honest in their breeding. No guarantees but if one does his/her homework, good genetics are out there to be found, grown, & enjoyed. I've had more successes than failures w/ a good number of decent but just ho hum strains in the middle. I recently got some nice Chemdog crosses where Joe Brand, Chemdog, Pbud et. al. close to the real deal Chemdog scene are posting on the breeders IG. So I'm excited to have some seemingly reliable authenticity there.

Congrats on the win.. My 'Old Lady' stole the vap pen from me.... We've brought alot of the pens for flowers and none have worked as well as this one does,, and to my surprise,, is still working great.. All the others never gave ya a hit or burnt out in acouple days of half ass working.. Miss J has been using it for a month now.. Garden is looking great my friend..

I tend to agree with what Doctor said, I have no faith in names.. It's mostly what one person breeding has done to creat their version of what they think it should be. Even if they don't have any of the true strain.. But these people doing these seeds,, like Greenhouse and about all the others, have access to massive breeding areas to produce seed stock and keep genetics alive..They have alot more going on than I care to do, so it's worth it to buy seeds,, I'll enjoy some and be disappointed with others.. I don't feel like making my own seeds nowadays.. Beleive me,, in the past long before the net,, seeds were gold too.. Wasn't anywhere to get genetics in the 70's and 80's,, unless you knew someone,, you picked seeds outta bag weeds.. To me three kinds of weed,,, bad weed,, good weed, and better weed.. A name is a name,, a good pheno is gold.. I'm still out prospecting for my gold.. Keepem Green

I'm looking forward to trying out that TruVa vaporizer. 1st arrived & was DOA. Wouldn't even charge. So waiting for a replacement. The design puts the tip of the mouthpiece very close to the bowl so I wonder if it vapes hot? My everyday machine is a couple of Arizer Solos...one charging while other is in use.

Mining for gold! Right on Woody.

Hey Doc how do you tell which seed chuckers are the real deal??

FOR ME, it's all about results and I have to give it a name so I go with the breeder I bought them from. Then over time, cream floats and the bullshit stinks. So it gets parsed out.... coin gets spent .... this is a HUGE industry and the $$ is in genetics. Think about it.... with seed there's much less risk that growing flowers all year.

The Arjan vs Mr Nice thing has been going on for how long .... forever... sometimes I think it's all a bunch of hooey to promote themselves and keep their names out there. Wait till som BigAg Corporation offers a shit ton of cash for Mr Nice's seed bank and see if he doesn't cave and sell out.... just sayin... I think Arjan is just a step a head of Leo seems to me. Who's pissin in who's cornflakes this week blah blah.... nothing new really.

There are some good seedbanks out there not just 1 or 2 there are several. I'm sticking with the ones I now that are in the States and when I get a keeper I keep it that easy. I don't care the name, I have to call it something.

Many of the original old school genetics need to be worked to get them up to today's standards. Chemdawg @ 32% THC.... that's not the original version. It's been tweaked. The genetics in each plant are VERY diverse and very easy to change just with environmental conditions. Chances you grow out the original version of the plant the seed came from, very very difficult to do. Take a cutting, soak it in chemicals .... even a clone can grow different than its mother when they are treated like that.....

The one thing is for sure, once the humans get finished mucking about with this plants genetics, all the original genes will be there and plants left to their own devices, will go back to its genetic beginnings and the round ball will keep turning..

Doc not arguing here... I agree with what you're saying 100%. The $$ brings out the BS ... human nature. Just need to find credibility as in everything else in life. The search for Truth.... the path I choose. Not for everyone unfortunately.

You're right bob....as the US pot scene is opening up there are now many US seed banks. I've been using a local CA seed bank where I'm getting my seeds 2 days after ordering. I don't miss the customs, the waiting, paying for "insurance" that the overseas seed banks involve.

As far as the genetics I've found some very good, nice younger breeders out there....one in particular took the time to write several times to my questions & explaining his genetics. He is also a close neighbor of another breeder that I buy through him & asked the latter about some genetic origins that weren't on the web at the time. So like in all of life there are good people. He's in PNW like the Exotix guys you favor. Some great breeders up that way.

:love: :passitleft:

Welcome DoctorGonzo. Thanks for joining us. Congrats on having a true Chem D cut. You are very lucky. I agree with much of what you say but as a strain fiend I actually love the modern genetics scene. Poly-hybrids are all over the map in terms of genetic expression but without them I wouldn't be able to try all the exotics & rare cuts. Sure there are some shysters out there but there are also some talented true pothead breeders who love the plant & are honest in their breeding. No guarantees but if one does his/her homework, good genetics are out there to be found, grown, & enjoyed.

I've been exploring the Phylos Galaxy, and it gives a very good perspective on breeding. Just by examining the reports and the related genetics, you can often see how a strain got polluted or confused, For instance, there's a Thai sample that is closely related to Colombian Gold. ... :hmmmm: ... so either someone thought their Gold was a Thai, or they're both genuine and Colombian Gold was exposed to Thai genetics at some point. In other places, you see completely bogus genetics. :laugh:

One thing I enjoyed seeing - WW is truly a Brazilian cross, and I luvs me some Brazilian - gotta try that strain sometime.

I've been exploring the Phylos Galaxy, and it gives a very good perspective on breeding. Just by examining the reports and the related genetics, you can often see how a strain got polluted or confused, For instance, there's a Thai sample that is closely related to Colombian Gold. ... :hmmmm: ... so either someone thought their Gold was a Thai, or they're both genuine and Colombian Gold was exposed to Thai genetics at some point. In other places, you see completely bogus genetics. :laugh:

One thing I enjoyed seeing - WW is truly a Brazilian cross, and I luvs me some Brazilian - gotta try that strain sometime.

Yes agree strains very mixed & jumbled nowadays. Conradino likes PG too. I do a lot of reading to get a scant amount of info that sometimes ties together, sometimes not. Surprised what you say about WW coming from an old pot vet like you. Most people like WW. I'm an anomaly when it come to Widow....don't like it pure but I do like it a lot more when it is crossed. Very stoney pure but little head involvement almost every sample I've ever had. Black Widow is best by far imo. A very easy call for me. :high-five:

"Very stoney pure but little head involvement almost every sample I've ever had"

That's what has been holding me back. :hmmmm:

I also read about people who don't mention the very stoney part - it's clearly not the same plant from all breeders - but I'm realizing that most people don't mind, and even search for, a dull-headed high. I'm still trying to keep on top of any new breeding with a Brazilian, but there sure isn't much, and Brazil x Nepal seems like a very pleasant cross. Dunno. I'm booked for a year (years) anyway :laugh:

It was confirming to hear you say Black is "better". I had thought so from what I read. That might be the original pheno with the right high.

"Very stoney pure but little head involvement almost every sample I've ever had"

I also read about people who don't mention the very stoney part - it's clearly not the same plant from all breeders - but I'm realizing that most people don't mind, and even search for, a dull-headed high. I'm still trying to keep on top of any new breeding with a Brazilian, but there sure isn't much, and Brazil x Nepal seems like a very pleasant cross. Dunno. I'm booked for a year (years) anyway :laugh:

It was confirming to hear you say Black is "better". I had thought so from what I read. That might be the original pheno with the right high.

What most people don't know, is original White (now Black) Widow is a true F1 hybrid. Landrace indica x landrace sativa. In order to breed true Widow, one must own the original P1 parents. Only Shantibaba at MNS has those parents. Everything else, including Greenhouse's "white widow" is at best an f2 in-cross resulting in non-homogenous, wildly varying offspring not displaying the perfectly mixed traits of the original P1 out-cross.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I'm gonna do a run once through Cookies, Gelato and all this fresh stuff cause I'm really curious. Funny what you say about Tangie cause it's a hit in Cali now after Crockett's Farms released it and scored high prizes for it. But then it's basically Skunk #1 x Skunk #1 :laughtwo: So I don't think there's anything for me there. But Orange Bud aka. California Orange aka. Calie-O was great in the 90s, first Dutch produce I genuinely enjoyed :bong:

"...dull headed high" Perfect description Gray. :laughtwo: Speaking of Black Widow there's a Mr. Nice hybrid of BW x Mullumbimby Haze Madness that you might like named La Nina. The Mullumbimby is Thai & Columbian based & is of high repute. Not Brazilian but plenty exotic & sativa. I've gotten to try many Mr. Nice strains from friend who favors MNS. La Nina is a good one. He's a collective owner but grows mostly MNS for his personal stash.

What most people don't know, is original White (now Black) Widow is a true F1 hybrid. Landrace indica x landrace sativa. In order to breed true Widow, one must own the original P1 parents. Only Shantibaba at MNS has those parents. Everything else, including Greenhouse's "white widow" is at best an f2 in-cross resulting in non-homogenous, wildly varying offspring not displaying the perfectly mixed traits of the original P1 out-cross.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” - Albert Einstein

You sound like a breeder Doc....what are you cooking up these days? Some Chem D crosses?

I'm gonna do a run once through Cookies, Gelato and all this fresh stuff cause I'm really curious. Funny what you say about Tangie cause it's a hit in Cali now after Crockett's Farms released it and scored high prizes for it. But then it's basically Skunk #1 x Skunk #1 :laughtwo: So I don't think there's anything for me there. But Orange Bud aka. California Orange aka. Calie-O was great in the 90s, first Dutch produce I genuinely enjoyed :bong:

Might as well con....gets all the attention these days. Most of the new exotics seem cookie based/connected. Now that I have a few under my belt I can say the cookies crossed w/ sativas have been the most appealing. Tangie seems to win a lot of extract competitions due to its terpenes & flavor. I've only grown 3 crosses that were dominated by the heavyweight strain it was crossed with. Been wanting to mention to you that another friend bought one of those Aficionado Seeds glass cased blunts sealed w/ wax seal. Cost him $30. It was Oil Spill strain w/ their Chemdog Reserve hash sprinkled over it. He shows it to me when he bought it, then last Sun. he shows me the empty case forgetting that he already showed it to me. He's not much for evaluating & describing so all I got was that it was good.

A few last pics from the dead battery camera.
Dead Banana
IMG_184234.JPG

Luther Dogman x Trainwreck
IMG_185429.jpg
IMG_185131.JPG

From the current run....day 32 & some frost starting to show up in earnest.
Frosted Strawberries
IMG_336717.jpg

:circle-of-love: :Namaste:

Brightlight's Outdoor & LED Gardens

I've just been at it forever, Bright. And mj botany fascinates me. When one loves the plant, one tends to suck up related data like a sponge . Knowledge is power .

True that. Frosted Strawberries looks real promising. :love:

Dead banana is best banana. ;) Wow, she looks real vibrant & healthy. Your buds structure looks slightly more fat/swollen on these last few. Am I seeing it right? If so do you attribute it to the new Ca/water approach or the new light?

How is the ECSDH curing? I'm curious about your pheno. I've gone through a few, and have not seen that one. It's pretty close to the one I kept that is medium tall, haze leaning, but a good dose of the clone in the flowers. Yours is a bit shorter, denser, closer, and the leafs a bit wider maybe. :Namaste:

Beautiful flowers B.L. I wish I could get my hands on some of those strains.

Love the cannabis information. Didn't get anything like that growing up in TX.
Finding a grow book was like that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
There was no strain talk, just weed , in a trash bag loaded with sticks rocks and sometimes bubblegum.
Keep it up guys.

Beautiful my friend.. You been cranking out some hella buds there bud.. Keepem Green

Beautiful flowers B.L. I wish I could get my hands on some of those strains.

Love the cannabis information. Didn't get anything like that growing up in TX.
Finding a grow book was like that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
There was no strain talk, just weed , in a trash bag loaded with sticks rocks and sometimes bubblegum.
Keep it up guys.

Early strain talk was mostly about color, smell & taste, if the herb even had any, & then where it came from. I was lucky to live in area where there were a lot of early entrepreneurs....either high enough in the food chain or the actual importers. In high school I took Latin American History & had to memorize all the Mexican states. Finally pot gave me reason to make use of such valuable info. :laughtwo:

Beautiful my friend.. You been cranking out some hella buds there bud.. Keepem Green

Slowing getting better at this indoor stuff brother. And always getting inspiration from your top shelf produce.

True that. Frosted Strawberries looks real promising. :love:

Dead banana is best banana. ;) Wow, she looks real vibrant & healthy. Your buds structure looks slightly more fat/swollen on these last few. Am I seeing it right? If so do you attribute it to the new Ca/water approach or the new light?

How is the ECSDH curing? I'm curious about your pheno. I've gone through a few, and have not seen that one. It's pretty close to the one I kept that is medium tall, haze leaning, but a good dose of the clone in the flowers. Yours is a bit shorter, denser, closer, and the leafs a bit wider maybe. :Namaste:

Dead Banana sure seems like a heavy producer based on single plant I've grown. That grow was a jumbled effort that ended well.....tap water & pH issues most of way, learning curve for RO, changing soil to include some peat w/ coco, excess N in flower from long lasting dairy cow compost, integration of some Nectar line in flower.

If nothing else, I could always grow hard buds due to the high mineral content of my tap, which is mostly ground water. The drought raised it to an unworkable level for my small pots. After going to RO I noticed somewhat softer buds on select strains. So I started serious Ca supplementation. Hell I've always added high levels of Ca throughout grow even with the tap water. Now it's almost freakish how often & much I add Ca using RO. Payoff on this current grow as even at 5 wks. we have rocks forming. Yet the leaf tip end & margin turn down with flat leaf back indicative of Ca shortage has begun to show up again. I haven't been finding any info on Ca toxicity so will continue the high Ca. Nectar line philosophy organic & Ca focused so a good pairing for me in flower.

New BL2 light has only been used on current flower group. Even coverage....rated for 5x5 flower so even better in my 4x4. Penetration exceeds BL1. Frost showing up so that can be checked off. Waiting for our good friend anthocyanin to show up. Have a couple in there that should be colorful by now but only green.

ECSDH is a fine strain so thanks for getting me interested in it. Very clear sativa on 1st bowl, then gets noticeably stonier on ensuing bowls. Best smelling buds of grow w/ complex, multiple fragrances. I'd say my plant is a Sour Diesel lean so no problem there for me. I did some comparison w/ my old stand by Dedoverde Haze. DH is more mood elevating & motivating but each great as the day's first strain. It only grew to ~24"....for comparison in same grow Gorilla Dosha was topped & super cropped & still ended up over 40".

East Coast Sour Diesel Haze
IMG_335613.jpg
IMG_336516.jpg
IMG_336315.jpg

:circle-of-love: :Namaste:

Was thinking the same.

Yea have ya??? Going to have to go hunt him down soon.. Keepem Green

Hey there BL some mighty fine looking buds there buddy! I love your description of the Sour-d you posted ... I love that feeling. Why I guess I like Chemdawg so much kinda reminds me of your description.

Lately I've been smoking a lot of weed that's pretty stony but I have a high tolerance so it's only stony for so long. I like you description of the Sour-d that's the way I like to feel and gravitate to those strains that do that for me.

Loved the discussion on different cultivars, thats always exciting to read first hand stuff I don't know or haven't seen before. I've been around weed for a long long time ... had access to the goodness in the 70s, took it all for granted, then war on drugs... and it was all about white powder and history repeating itself despite the hippy wisdom.

I've actually been looking at some strains from Northern India and Nepal. One is Malana Cream... there's a new grower from India here and he's growing it and started a journal ...Once he gave me the name of the strain he was running, google to the rescue. Yeah wow... I'd love to go back and get some of the traditional strains .... the black hash we used to smoke back it the day was outta this world.

Yeah so check out Malana Cream - pure Himalayan Charas Plant.. these are plants that humans used for meds for centuries until Amerika.

I love to read up on the history of this plant... South America/South East Asia/Himalayan region/ NorCal too ... they are all unique and exciting to find the sources of all our goodness we are growing today.

Back
Top Bottom