Bud issue need help please

The leaf in that photo above is a different shade of yellow than a leaf that is suffering from a Nitrogen deficiency.

Are you talking about this leaf?

IMG_7600.jpeg

That’s K in my experience. The serrations, necrotic tip and thinning base are all pretty strong signs

I’m confused by the wording here. Are you saying all of your plants did this or only the one specific one I was referencing?

There’s a whole lot of variables that can come into play with lighting. Is this the light you’re using?

IMG_7599.jpeg
Yes that is the light.

But what I am saying is yes only one plant is doing this. Well three. But one of those three are upstairs in my closet and it went bad but is still producing strawberry sized buds so I let it go just to see what would happen and the other sister plant was given to a friend and his is doing the same thing.

But the mother plant these seeds came from was a plant strain I grew called pistachio.
It was an auto and I didn't know it at the time. But it auto bloomed while under 18/6 lights. So it is a pistachio auto.
But....because the mother plant of these three plants grew all its undergrowth to the top it makes me believe all it's daughter plants have genetic issues. And that could be because the mother plant was also grown next to three other plants which one of them was stunted four times. It was a blueberry pancakes plant and I think the one that was stressed out four times fertilized the female plant and it produced ten seeds that I've found so far.

Again . .the mother plant had issues. Under fertilized.... and it lightened up bad before ever producing a bud.... Yet it produce 30 or so half ounce buds.

This post is about the daughter of that plant.
only one because the other sister upstairs is horrible looking. And the other one I only see in photos here and there when my friend sends me a photo of it because his sister plant and my sister plant that is actually budding properly but just has that issue of 1/3 of the bottom larfing and dying.

Which is why I think it's genetic as well as light penetration issue. Three plants all dying naturally how most people lollipop their plants by pruning the lower 3rd? But the mother of the three didn't do that? It has to be genetic in some way.

Oddly I topped the plant that went bad and the sister plant I gave my friend and his plant only grew back ONE top! And the sister plant I have that popped within a day of the one I gave my friend I didn't top because I wanted to see what this plant grows like if not topped.

If this is confusing.....just say I have one plant acting this way. Because the other one I probably should have tossed but I won't give up on it and as stated my friend has the other of the three. But they all died 1/3 on the bottom only. Two are doing fine on the canopy and bud development looks very promising.

In fact here is a photo of the canopy and a bud on the plant as of right this moment...

20240306_141554.jpg

20240306_141604.jpg

Yes that is the light.

But what I am saying is yes only one plant is doing this. Well three. But one of those three are upstairs in my closet and it went bad but is still producing strawberry sized buds so I let it go just to see what would happen and the other sister plant was given to a friend and his is doing the same thing.

But the mother plant these seeds came from was a plant strain I grew called pistachio.
It was an auto and I didn't know it at the time. But it auto bloomed while under 18/6 lights. So it is a pistachio auto.
But....because the mother plant of these three plants grew all its undergrowth to the top it makes me believe all it's daughter plants have genetic issues. And that could be because the mother plant was also grown next to three other plants which one of them was stunted four times. It was a blueberry pancakes plant and I think the one that was stressed out four times fertilized the female plant and it produced ten seeds that I've found so far.

Again . .the mother plant had issues. Under fertilized.... and it lightened up bad before ever producing a bud.... Yet it produce 30 or so half ounce buds.

This post is about the daughter of that plant.
only one because the other sister upstairs is horrible looking. And the other one I only see in photos here and there when my friend sends me a photo of it because his sister plant and my sister plant that is actually budding properly but just has that issue of 1/3 of the bottom larfing and dying.

Which is why I think it's genetic as well as light penetration issue. Three plants all dying naturally how most people lollipop their plants by pruning the lower 3rd? But the mother of the three didn't do that? It has to be genetic in some way.

Oddly I topped the plant that went bad and the sister plant I gave my friend and his plant only grew back ONE top! And the sister plant I have that popped within a day of the one I gave my friend I didn't top because I wanted to see what this plant grows like if not topped.

If this is confusing.....just say I have one plant acting this way. Because the other one I probably should have tossed but I won't give up on it and as stated my friend has the other of the three. But they all died 1/3 on the bottom only. Two are doing fine on the canopy and bud development looks very promising.

In fact here is a photo of the canopy and a bud on the plant as of right this moment...

20240306_141554.jpg

20240306_141604.jpg

So cannabis will larf even when grown outside with full light hitting its branches. It’s just the way it grows. Apical dominance. It’s going to give the majority of its resources to its growing tips then everything below that is second priority. This is why a lot of people remove everything below the top 3-5 nodes on their colas. Everything below that will larf in comparison.

You can bulk these larf flowers up with better nutrition and better light but in the end, they’ll still be markedly smaller than those growing at the tips. This is why growers remove them, they prefer to have those resources in their growing tips.

Cannabis usually doesn’t start producing nice big colas until the third node on the main stem, so the nodes below that often are just larf.

That’s a little bit about larf.

The images you’ve posted of the plants just now look fantastic. This lower 1/3 branch issue you’re having, is it occurring during veg or does it only happen once you’re in flower?

I am now 100% certain this plant is part pistachio and part blueberry pancakes.

I know what they both smell like and the answer is....not anything like each other.

Today the scent rose so much I can smell way more blueberry pancakes than anything resembling pistachio.

But what is wild is to see the buds forming. The plant is shaped like a pistachio. But slightly taller in the center and the leaves just around the buds are shaped exactly like bb pancakes and the buds are trending much larger than pistachio.

I even know which of the two bb pancakes it was. It was the yellowing retarded bb pancakes plant. And I believe this because of the way the trichomes are showing up on the leaves. Much more on the edges like a margarita rim. And not nearly as much in the center of the sugar leafs. One of the pancakes plants did that and the other did not. That one had very even Trichomes.

20240308_192013.jpg

20240308_192000.jpg

So cannabis will larf even when grown outside with full light hitting its branches. It’s just the way it grows. Apical dominance. It’s going to give the majority of its resources to its growing tips then everything below that is second priority. This is why a lot of people remove everything below the top 3-5 nodes on their colas. Everything below that will larf in comparison.

You can bulk these larf flowers up with better nutrition and better light but in the end, they’ll still be markedly smaller than those growing at the tips. This is why growers remove them, they prefer to have those resources in their growing tips.

Cannabis usually doesn’t start producing nice big colas until the third node on the main stem, so the nodes below that often are just larf.

That’s a little bit about larf.

The images you’ve posted of the plants just now look fantastic. This lower 1/3 branch issue you’re having, is it occurring during veg or does it only happen once you’re in flower?
I believe it started slightly before but it was growing well when it began. But the plant ended up being an auto and went into flower under 18/6 light.

It's sister plant just failed.
And what I mean by that is everything ok it was perfection. It literally looked like a big green afro when it stretched. It was huge and wide. Then I saw one day down the bottom a branch I know on its mother plant made it all the way out horizontal and then turned and comes up the outside of the plant until it nearly reaches the top of the canopy.
then a few days later that one branch was weak leaves slightly wrinkled and wilting.
then five days later it was like 10 bottom branches. So I cut them all off and the next day all the buds little white hairs burned. But what was odd was the hairs were never long before the. It's started forming. Even while the plant looked great up top but the bottom third of the sister plant was just eating itself. I mean badly. Drippy soaking looking leaves hanging and pull them off when dead and the next day it did it again. And again. About ten leaves a day so I flushed it. Then nothing. So I peroxided it. Then it bounced back. Still a crappy plant but I got it to recover finally and it produced large strawberry sized buds instead of the 40 large half ounce colas it could have grown.

Sad deal. But it is what it is.

SO basically when this plant started doing it I got worried. But these white hairs did what they were supposed to and got puffy and the buds grew. Onjy different thing I did was when I realized it was starting with this plant I ripped the 5 gal felt pot off and transplanted to a 7 gal. I think that saved it. I didn't fail from there but leaves just started dropping here and there.

I know this plant will yellow. Everywhere but the leaves around the buds. And I don't know what they will do. May yellow too.

Photos of the plant today under the canopy.

So odd. It's rising. The wilting. It's right on the cusp of teaching the top bud area.

Am I concerned at nothing or is this going to reach the top?

Remember.....the yellowing leaves on top of the canopy I knew was coming even if all the lower growth made it to the top.

But when leaves burn on the edges and yellow that concerns me

As a reference for size....my floor tiles are 12x12's

Almost forgot the question I wanted to ask y'all....

Do you think I should pull the yellowing leaves on this plant or let them yellow and fall off? I mean the ones that are yellowing now. Not the one thatau yellow around the buds. if I defol will it stunt the buds at all?
If so I won't do it.
20240309_131446.jpg

20240309_131441.jpg

20240309_131438.jpg

20240309_131432.jpg

20240309_131428.jpg

20240309_131425.jpg

20240309_125653.jpg

20240309_125451.jpg

20240309_114918.jpg

20240309_132839.jpg

those probes are best left for alien use. it's one of the few places they can be inserted that will return a usable value.

Photos of the plant today under the canopy.

So odd. It's rising. The wilting. It's right on the cusp of teaching the top bud area.

Am I concerned at nothing or is this going to reach the top?

Remember.....the yellowing leaves on top of the canopy I knew was coming even if all the lower growth made it to the top.

But when leaves burn on the edges and yellow that concerns me

As a reference for size....my floor tiles are 12x12's

Almost forgot the question I wanted to ask y'all....

Do you think I should pull the yellowing leaves on this plant or let them yellow and fall off? I mean the ones that are yellowing now. Not the one thatau yellow around the buds. if I defol will it stunt the buds at all?
If so I won't do it.
20240309_131446.jpg

20240309_131441.jpg

20240309_131438.jpg

20240309_131432.jpg

20240309_131428.jpg

20240309_131425.jpg

20240309_125653.jpg

20240309_125451.jpg

20240309_114918.jpg

20240309_132839.jpg
I'd pluck the larf and let the leaves stay, don't pluck leaves.
Here is the meter buddy.

Screenshot_20240309-173905_Chrome.jpg

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

I'd pluck the larf and let the leaves stay, don't pluck leaves.
Here is the meter buddy.

Screenshot_20240309-173905_Chrome.jpg

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

it's a good idea but i recommend having separate ph and ec/tdc meters.

ph meters rely on the bulb. i've yet to meet anyone that hasn't broken one at some point. the good news is those meter ends are replaceable, the bad news is the all-in-one ends are a lot more expensive to buy over the dedicated ph end alone.

the ec/tds part never breaks, it is a pair of metal diodes.

it's a good idea but i recommend having separate ph and ec/tdc meters.

ph meters rely on the bulb. i've yet to meet anyone that hasn't broken one at some point. the good news is those meter ends are replaceable, the bad news is the all-in-one ends are a lot more expensive to buy over the dedicated ph end alone.

the ec/tds part never breaks, it is a pair of metal diodes.
I've gone through a ton of meters.
@bluter :ciao: has a good point. :thumb: :passitleft:
The only reason I recommend that particular one is durability.
I'm not gentle with my girls or my equipment.
Bull in a China shop with 10 thumbs. ;)
That meter lived through the greenhouse and VIVOHUT grows..
Still works like new.
@VIVOSUN 3 in one meter has been a nice little unit for me.
Don't get the one's you stick in the pot.:Namaste:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Plant today. Top bud and the yellowing.

I expected those leaves to yellow. The top leaves though will yellow but will stay till the end and the leaves around the buds will probably then turn red or brown in late bloom. If it follows it's parent plants.

20240310_140227.jpg

20240310_140651.jpg

20240310_140643.jpg

20240310_140728.jpg

20240310_140732.jpg

This is NOT the plant this post was made regarding.
But it's same day old sister that I gave a friend. My friend I gave the plant to sent me these photos this am..

When I left the plant with him before flowering the plants were identical in color and size and issues

His plant looks way yellower but it missed an entire all purpose cycle because it was nitrogen toxic. So it got flushed instead.

but I think overall this plant is progressing exactly as it should.

I have four seeds left of this mix of pistachio and blueberry pancakes.
Id like to send a good grower one of these seeds to figure out the best way to get the undergrowth to come up. Because it did on the plant in these photos. Maybe because it was half topped. Meaning it was topped but it only grew one side back and it was leaning so light penetrated to the bottom and it all grew.

IMG_9456.jpg

imagejpeg_0(1).jpg

IMG_9458.jpg

imagejpeg_0.jpg

How the plant is doing today ....

Well it's yellowing but the bud sites look great.
Buds are large.

I've not pulled a single leaf. So it's got some brown leaves on it.

20240316_184151.jpg

20240316_184208.jpg

20240317_135555.jpg

20240317_135416.jpg

20240317_135120.jpg

20240317_134711.jpg

20240315_195818.jpg

20240315_195759.jpg

20240317_140326.jpg

20240317_140331.jpg
Incredible buds nice work. :thumb:
How is your air circulation around them.
Those big colas hold moisture inside.
Make sure you keep going air flow going when they are sitting.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Indoor cannabis plant should always be as close to the light source as possible and remove all growth below light canopy to avoid die off issue. When leaves do no receive maximum light they will slowly die off. Nitrogen lack and transfer will also cause lower leaf yellowing as the plant moves mobile nitrogen to new growth. No stem and all bud is my result.

Incredible buds nice work. :thumb:
How is your air circulation around them.
Those big colas hold moisture inside.
Make sure you keep going air flow going when they are sitting.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎
Thanks!
I have to keep turning my large floor fan off the plants to blow the air out of the grow space because humidity kept rising to 70.

But.....RH is 45 now. If it drops to 44 I will turn the humidifier on.
Usually It has 3 fans circulating.
And even when I blow the air out the door I have two smaller fans blowing on the plants around the bases up through them just enough to keep the plants moving a little.
It smells like fruity pebbles. It had the blueberry pancakes scent and yet it still does. But as it matures the scent is more fruity than anything else and fruity pebbles cereal is a close description.

Thanks!
I have to keep turning my large floor fan off the plants to blow the air out of the grow space because humidity kept rising to 70.

But.....RH is 45 now. If it drops to 44 I will turn the humidifier on.
Usually It has 3 fans circulating.
And even when I blow the air out the door I have two smaller fans blowing on the plants around the bases up through them just enough to keep the plants moving a little.
It smells like fruity pebbles. It had the blueberry pancakes scent and yet it still does. But as it matures the scent is more fruity than anything else and fruity pebbles cereal is a close description.
That's great fruity pebbles ;)
Just keep an eye on those thick colas. :Namaste:
It's the perfect hiding ground.
In the 50's would be great.
Sounds like you have a handle on it.:thumb:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

That's great fruity pebbles ;)
Just keep an eye on those thick colas. :Namaste:
It's the perfect hiding ground.
In the 50's would be great.
Sounds like you have a handle on it.:thumb:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎
I think through this grow and the last one I will have the nutrients down. Finally my non stop headache is over!

I think I can get it close to perfect on another grow. With nutes that is. If it's not this strain that seems to just be a yellowey plant as soon as flowering begins.

There has got to be a way to avoid that. Dialing it in? That's what I figured out this grow. How to.

Also...I think I'm in the harvest window already.
Now I'm waiting to see a few more ambers and then it's harvest time.

Top trichomes have red stems.

If I wait three more weeks that would be when I harvested it's mother plant. But that one has more amber on it and I don't want all that amber.

2024_03_19_14_23_26_886.png

2024_03_19_14_23_23_140.png

2024_03_19_14_24_25_214.png

20240319_142301.jpg

20240319_141801.jpg

2024_03_19_14_16_08_615.png

2024_03_19_14_16_24_761.png

20240319_115148.jpg

20240319_130124.jpg

I think through this grow and the last one I will have the nutrients down. Finally my non stop headache is over!

I think I can get it close to perfect on another grow. With nutes that is. If it's not this strain that seems to just be a yellowey plant as soon as flowering begins.

There has got to be a way to avoid that. Dialing it in? That's what I figured out this grow. How to.

Also...I think I'm in the harvest window already.
Now I'm waiting to see a few more ambers and then it's harvest time.

Top trichomes have red stems.

If I wait three more weeks that would be when I harvested it's mother plant. But that one has more amber on it and I don't want all that amber.

2024_03_19_14_23_26_886.png

2024_03_19_14_23_23_140.png

2024_03_19_14_24_25_214.png

20240319_142301.jpg

20240319_141801.jpg

2024_03_19_14_16_08_615.png

2024_03_19_14_16_24_761.png

20240319_115148.jpg

20240319_130124.jpg
Nice. :thumb:
As a rule of thumb I don't start checking trics until there aren't any white pistils left.
Be patient. :Namaste:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Back
Top Bottom