Bud Washing

hey Doc, can i use deionized water instead of RO water?

Many, many people think this - just like the "drunk standing on the corner under a street light" - but that stigma of pot users is (smoke every minute of the day and sitting in a park crossed-eyed) is going by the way side - now that pot use has reached out to all social, levels of society

Here's a focus stacked image of the underside of a sugar leaf.

It really shows what's under these sugar leaves we all trim off. On the right is a calyx with a brown pistil.
Stack_0.jpg

Note all the missing trichome caps on the top edge of the leaf. This is pretty normal if the leaf rubs against other plants.

BTW. This was not washed. It's shown as it came off the plant.

Beautiful photo!! :)

I prefer to jostle the buds as you described Conerd, but some branches are too thin and buckle under the on coming force, so I then would swing the branch side to side, or in a swirl to try and work the liquids into the inner recesses of the buds. But normally, I aim for the quick in/out motion.

Edit - My RO filter has the deionizing stage that I have discontinued. The DI is just a final stage that really gets the PPM to a lower value, in my case was 002 or 001 ppm. This was proving to make my res water unstable in PH, so I discontinued it for that reason. My reservoirs have since stabilized. I don't see any reason why we can't use DI water if we so choose.

Just set out with lid on (cap on a gallon jug or cover a 5 galllon - but never let water set longer than 3 days. I f you want you can "burp" it one time

What's the reasoning behind that safeman? I regularly fill a 5-gallon bucket with water and let it sit until I've used it up watering my plants, which can take a month or more. It also seems to help if the tap water has a high level of sediment, like ours did after the floods around here a while back, and allows the particulates in the water to really settle out.

Just set out with lid on (cap on a gallon jug or cover a 5 galllon - but never let water set longer than 3 days. I f you want you can "burp" it one time

Remember guys, a lot of the benefits of washing come from removing bacteria and fungi. Tap water with chlorine is designed to kill most bacteria. If you use water without any antiseptic capacity, then the bacteria that washes off does not die in the tub. In fact, it can start to grow very rapidly. You want to avoid making bacteria soup, but in a gentle way. Tap water does just that. Unless you have terrible tap water, you should use it without delay in your wash recipes and rinse tubs. If you use RO or other water without chlorine, then be sure to change the rinse water often. Think about what you are trying to accomplish and use your common sense.

Never leave rinse or wash water in the buckets for reuse. They should be cleaned and left dry until the next wash session. I'm washing buds in 1/2 gallon mason jars and I send them through the dishwasher.

If you have any mold issues, it's important to scrub all surfaces in the buckets with detergent and bleach.
Plain soap and water will not kill mold spores. Washing Soda or Borax can also be used in place of bleach. 3% or higher Peroxide works too. There's lots of bathroom cleaning products with all the right stuff for killing the fungi clinging to the walls of the wash buckets. Rinse well and store dry.

Here's a focus stacked image of the underside of a sugar leaf.

It really shows what's under these sugar leaves we all trim off. On the right is a calyx with a brown pistil.
Stack_0.jpg

Note all the missing trichome caps on the top edge of the leaf. This is pretty normal if the leaf rubs against other plants.

BTW. This was not washed. It's shown as it came off the plant.
Wow looks great! What strain is that?

A friend just left after showing me some just harvested bud with some pink, blue fluffy stuff on it.
He grows in his basement, no tent, 12-15 feet from his washing machine and dryer. you're getting an image..
I hand him my small bong with washed Kwazulu in it. 2 Hits..wow!! Smooth.. Washed, under 2 weeks cure. Grown in HB soil
Wash your buds unless you like smoking the new strains Levi's and Fruit of the Loom :)
BTW the Kwazulu was kick butt! ;)

A friend just left after showing me some just harvested bud with some pink, blue fluffy stuff on it.
He grows in his basement, no tent, 12-15 feet from his washing machine and dryer. you're getting an image..
I hand him my small bong with washed Kwazulu in it. 2 Hits..wow!! Smooth.. Washed, under 2 weeks cure. Grown in HB soil
Wash your buds unless you like smoking the new strains Levi's and Fruit of the Loom :)
BTW the Kwazulu was kick butt! ;)

I can't imagine smoking fuzz bud now that I've looked at what can be stuck in them.

If I wanted to design the ideal airborne fiber trap, I would mimic the cannabis trichome fields.
They are very effective traps. They are far better than the yellow sticky traps.

A friend came by with some "special" bud a grower gave him. It looked and smelled pretty good.
However, I immediately saw small white specks and put in under the scope.
The grower was insulted because I wouldn't even try it.

WhiteSpots1.JPG
WhiteSpots2.JPG

What do you think this is? Is it some type of foliar or insect spray? What are growers using that drys milky white?

I can't imagine smoking fuzz bud now that I've looked at what can be stuck in them.

If I wanted to design the ideal airborne fiber trap, I would mimic the cannabis trichome fields.
They are very effective traps. They are far better than the yellow sticky traps.

A friend came by with some "special" bud a grower gave him. It looked and smelled pretty good.
However, I immediately saw small white specks and put in under the scope.
The grower was insulted because I wouldn't even try it.

WhiteSpots1.JPG
WhiteSpots2.JPG

What do you think this is? Is it some type of foliar or insect spray? What are growers using that drys milky white?

Spider mite webbing that was recently sprayed with Doctor Doom or similar product. I'll bet you find a nearly empty can of that in or near his grow room!

Back
Top Bottom