Bud Washing

I saw the test results, very interesting, so the washed sample was 17.5% THC and the unwashed was 14.7%.

We need to figure out why there's such a difference, I can't imagine he removed enough dirt and dust to result in a 3% increase.

Were the sample buds from different parts of the plant? Even if they were I don't think the THC varies enough to make that big of a difference.

and your sure that the samples were labeled correctly right?

I know the samples were labeled correctly. I know that. The samples were taken,, from the same plant ;) next time I'll document better. But I feel very confident in the process..... Who knows!!

Nice research MMM.

Wouldn't the 3% increase in THC indicate that 15%-20% of the unwashed bud is foreign material? Or is my head too far into friday already;)

Either way Bud Washing is awesome and I'm doing it whether it increases or decreases the THC - The buds are just much cleaner and more colourful, and the smell and taste improves so much.

I would just like to add a....Big Ups!! To the Doc for starting this thread. And also say to all the nay sayers... that if a plants gets a thorough drenching from rain outdoors which is a beating without losings its trichs. Why would u think a gentle rinse would do much more. No different than getting washed lettuce or fruits before you consume them. Ill also ride on the coat tails and say let pass this knowledge on to all growers to promote healthy medicine and prevent any goverment officials saying non regulated crops are "poisining/harming" consumers.

Hey all, just thought I would pop in and post a picture of washed bud for those who think we are doing damage to them.

Bud washed and let drain over night before trimming
IMG_20151003_105031.jpg

Freshly trimmed bud ready for hanging
IMG_20151003_180205.jpg

Close ups of bud after trimming and prior to hanging.
IMG_20151003_165815.jpg

IMG_20151003_165620.jpg

Doesn't look damaged to me, and if there were a few lost trichomes, its well worth the loss knowing I killed any mold/spores.

So it's been a few weeks of drying and curing and I gave the washed/unwashed bud a try on separate days to see the difference. The washed bud is definitely smoother. It tastes better and the washed bud just looks better and more vibrant. I harvested a blue widow today and once again, the washing resulted in the bud releasing it's bouquet smell on the drying rack. Needless to say, this is a great method for giving your bud that little bit of extra quality.

Just another .02 cents worth, so i guess i'm up to .04 cents now..... I still think acid and base should be in separate buckets... Ran across this on Naked Scientists .com

"The other product of reaction between sodium bicarbonate and organic acids is the sodium salts of these acids. These salts are, of their own nature, surfactant soaps and detergents, which do not have to find their way into the contamination, as externally applied soaps or detergents would; they are already in position when they form, particularly well placed to perform their detergent action and lift dirt from the surface."

To me this seems to suggest that one or the other needs to be place when it is exposed to its neutralizer...

Just another .02 cents worth, so i guess i'm up to .04 cents now..... I still think acid and base should be in separate buckets... Ran across this on Naked Scientists .com

"The other product of reaction between sodium bicarbonate and organic acids is the sodium salts of these acids. These salts are, of their own nature, surfactant soaps and detergents, which do not have to find their way into the contamination, as externally applied soaps or detergents would; they are already in position when they form, particularly well placed to perform their detergent action and lift dirt from the surface."

To me this seems to suggest that one or the other needs to be place when it is exposed to its neutralizer...

I'm gonna need a more layman's explanation tbh!

Good evening Klinger

In layman's terms: When you mix an acid and a base (lemon juice and baking soda) in the right ratio, they neutralize each other leaving you with neutral water and a salt. During the reaction a gas is released creating a foaming action.

When you mix the 2 together before washing, the foaming is usually over and done before you start washing. If you separate them into separate buckets, say lemon in the 1st bucket and soda in the second, here's what happens.

Wash the bud in the lemon juice 1st and when you pull it out, it will be covered with a film of lemon juice. When you then put the bud into the soda bucket, the soda reacts with the lemon juice, still on the bud, causing the foaming action adding to remove foreign matter.

Hope this help in a better understanding :)

Good evening Klinger

In layman's terms: When you mix an acid and a base (lemon juice and baking soda) in the right ratio, they neutralize each other leaving you with neutral water and a salt. During the reaction a gas is released creating a foaming action.

When you mix the 2 together before washing, the foaming is usually over and done before you start washing. If you separate them into separate buckets, say lemon in the 1st bucket and soda in the second, here's what happens.

Wash the bud in the lemon juice 1st and when you pull it out, it will be covered with a film of lemon juice. When you then put the bud into the soda bucket, the soda reacts with the lemon juice, still on the bud, causing the foaming action adding to remove foreign matter.

Hope this help in a better understanding :)

infinitely!

I suppose it's the nature of stoners to take something simple and effective and make it complex and mysterious.

The re-dux reaction of lemon juice and baking soda isn't over with the bubbles. It still works extremely well as a surfactant and cleanser after it's been mixed.

Ya'll can get as crazy as you want to, but I started the whole washing trend and between myself and my close associates we've washed and hung hundreds of pounds of cannabis over the last 2 or 3 years using 3 buckets or tubs.

1. lemon juice/soda
2. RO
3. RO

I haven't had PM on a crop, but I also tested the peroxide bucket and it works great. Keep it simple! There is no need to make it complex or difficult unless it's what makes you happy.

There are many paths to the same destination guys, that's what makes life interesting :)

For me, I do have issues with bud rot as well as an allergy to fungi. I may be over cautious but if an extra step ensures I have killed any mold/spores, its well worth it in my case to prevent any allergic reactions :)

Good stuff guys!

I also was using tap for all my wash buckets and don't have RO, but I do have distilled a/c dehuey runnoff, think Ill try to use that for my final bucket next time.

I suppose it's the nature of stoners to take something simple and effective and make it complex and mysterious.

The re-dux reaction of lemon juice and baking soda isn't over with the bubbles. It still works extremely well as a surfactant and cleanser after it's been mixed.

Ya'll can get as crazy as you want to, but I started the whole washing trend and between myself and my close associates we've washed and hung hundreds of pounds of cannabis over the last 2 or 3 years using 3 buckets or tubs.

1. lemon juice/soda
2. RO
3. RO

I haven't had PM on a crop, but I also tested the peroxide bucket and it works great. Keep it simple! There is no need to make it complex or difficult unless it's what makes you happy.

I may be new to the world of growing/bud washing. but i have plenty of experience with cleaning, and using natural products to clean varieties of problems.
its a known thing in the world of cleaning (and even home medicines) to use baking soda, mixed TOGETHER with lemon/vinegar. it has so many cleaning uses that you wouldnt believe. i dont understand why people seem so freaked out by it, and are trying to seperate it.
the whole point, is for them to be together to get it to work. this is not some new revelation of rocket science. go to any organic family that knows a little, and ask them about the uses of soda with lemon/vinegar. its old school method for cleaning. and youd be surprised what wonders it works on an upset stomach, and nausea. (half cup of water with half of a squeezed lemon juice. then throw in 1 teaspoon of baking soda, mix, and drink immediately. instant relief)
Just do it ;)

I'm a fan of Doc's method, but I also appreciate the experimentation of others as it is those kinds of minds that took us from the simplicity of soil growing to the more complicated hydro growing, not to mention the vast other subject matters that experimentation has led to, like the wagon vs the auto, walking vs riding a horse etc etc etc. Sometimes it takes many other failures by others to prove the original method is still the best. Me personally though (when I grow that is) will wash with both in the same bucket and also use chlorinated tap water in the first 2 buckets and RO for the final until I see better results elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom