Bud Washing

I suppose it's the nature of stoners to take something simple and effective and make it complex and mysterious.
:rofl: I'm guilty! Luckily I usually realize this when I wake up and think "What was I thinking!" :laughtwo:
My paying job I live by the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle when designing systems and writing code. Only add complexity when absolutely necessary. KISS can be applied to so much more than just engineering.

I've been fortunate to come across this thread from the start of my first grow. Thanks to Doc for sharing and Hiker for starting this! All my friends and family who like to dabble with the leaf have no complaints.

Quote:
"I suppose it's the nature of stoners to take something simple and effective and make it complex and mysterious."

This is usually the case when someone offers a different explanation on an entrenched idea... Shoot the messengers....
I can't figure out why stating a fact is crazy?? Cite something supportive of your combining the two.. Then I'll lay down and roll over

Since i also suppose, I suppose your supposition that a re-dox reaction between an organic acid and baking soda produces any thing else but bubbles, water and salt... is just that, a supposition... In re-dox reaction you degrade both the acid and base.... I don't mind getting my tongue stepped on for a valid reason, you don't have one doc...

Quote:
"I suppose it's the nature of stoners to take something simple and effective and make it complex and mysterious."

This is usually the case when someone offers a different explanation on an entrenched idea... Shoot the messengers....
I can't figure out why stating a fact is crazy?? Cite something supportive of your combining the two.. Then I'll lay down and roll over

Since i also suppose, I suppose your supposition that a re-dox reaction between an organic acid and baking soda produces any thing else but bubbles, water and salt... is just that, a supposition... In re-dox reaction you degrade both the acid and base.... I don't mind getting my tongue stepped on for a valid reason, you don't have one doc...

No...but I have clean buds. You will too if you copy me. You can have your own reasons, but they won't take grime off buds. Baking soda and lemon juice will.

What revolutionary method of washing buds did you "invent?"

Feel free to do whatever you want to do, like I said in my post if it makes you happy go for it. All I'm saying, as someone who has done this for a much longer time than you is that it works.

Feel free to change it as you see fit. I'll stick to simple and effective.

Sorry if you feel violated by my post....I didn't invent any new bud washing tech, just trying to add to it with a little clarification of what could be happening... but if you want inventiveness, check out the off topic forum, miscellaneous projects, it's not bud washing, but you'll find a couple my ideas done from scratch ... not all but a couple... hard copies no less..

Sorry if you feel violated by my post....I didn't invent any new bud washing tech, just trying to add to it with a little clarification of what could be happening... but if you want inventiveness, check out the off topic forum, miscellaneous projects, it's not bud washing, but you'll find a couple my ideas done from scratch ... not all but a couple... hard copies no less..

I had no problem at all with your post. I'm just making sure people don't go off and make things more complicated than they need to be.

There was a "genius" on here a while back who took some of the discussion about chlorinated water being OK for budwashing (RO for rinsing) and ran with it......claimed he was going to use bleach in the first bucket!

Another person decided that vinegar would be superior to lemon juice! They had some kemistry philosophy behind their ideas and I had to step in so that people didn't actually try that nonsense.

No, that wasn't you! I'm just saying to people that what we're doing with the washing works very well AS IS. There's science behind it. The lab tests prove it works.

Feel free to change it, etc. I seriously doubt you'll be able to improve it to an appreciable degree, but have at it man!

As for me, I know what works and will stick with it and share it. Most people thought I was CRAZY putting buds under water like that when I first started.

Turns out I am crazy, but still high-functioning enough to know how to wash produce. :Namaste:

There was a "genius" on here a while back who took some of the discussion about chlorinated water being OK for budwashing (RO for rinsing) and ran with it......claimed he was going to use bleach in the first bucket!

Another person decided that vinegar would be superior to lemon juice! They had some kemistry philosophy behind their ideas and I had to step in so that people didn't actually try that nonsense.
:Namaste:

Experimentation is great, its how we have most things we know today, including a multitude of strain, but I am NOT going to bleach my bud LOL Vinegar would work, likely as well as lemon juice, but if there is any residue left behind, I would sooner taste lemon in my bud than vinegar LOL

Experimentation is great, its how we have most things we know today, including a multitude of strain, but I am NOT going to bleach my bud LOL Vinegar would work, likely as well as lemon juice, but if there is any residue left behind, I would sooner taste lemon in my bud than vinegar LOL

Vinegar will RUIN your crop. Please don't try it.

It's not as simple as making fizzies with baking soda and whatever. The lemon juice has other properties besides free hydrogen ions!

It's kinda the same mentality that thinks Marinol is equal to or better than Cannabis, because the former is pure THC. Yes, it is pure THC, but that doesn't make it better.

I'm going to wash in lemon, lime, and orange juice and finish in grape kool-aid for that grapey color and taste. :laugh:
(Edit: do not use fruit punch, orange juice, or grape kool-aid this was not a serious comment!!!!)

KISS...since the wash method presented here works as is I will just do that. Celts method makes sense also but I believe both will do the trick.

There is a problem doing Fish's method. It's a pretty big problem too.....but I don't want to spoil anyone's ideas.

Like my crazy uncle used to say:

Good judgement is a result of experience but Experience is a result of bad judgement.

One bucket of base plus one bucket of acid/surfactant.....which one comes first? Oh....soak them in soda and then add the lemon juice? Or the other way round?

What if your crop requires more than one dunk in the bucket? Pour out the water and start over?

Again, I do this professionally and work with other pro's and teach them what to do. These folks make their living doing this stuff. It needs to work.

I thought I'd show you my one man bud washing technique. All photos taken at the end of washing.

A semi-circle of 5 gallon buckets around a swivelling stool.
From left to right:
Branches bucket - branches are hung by their hanging hooks on the side of a bucket. If the branch is too long to hang on the bucket, it won't wash well.
Wash bucket - 1 cup baking soda, 1 cup lemon juice in tap water (hot out of the faucet,)
First rinse bucket - cool tap water
Second rinse bucket - cool tap water

20151009_153810.jpg

I take a handful of branches in each hand and fan them to fit within the water buckets (These happen to be extra short branches at the end.)

20151009_152906-1.jpg

Using both hands I go from bucket to bucket dunking each handful 30 times (1-2345, 2-2345 ... 6-2345) lifting to (partial) drain on each 5.

20151009_153420-1.jpg

I didn't notice my drip dry cords were removed until I was standing with two handfuls of dripping buds, so I hung them on an (outdoor rated) power cord.

20151009_153827.jpg

This and the other photo total 6 handfuls of branches (3 2-minute trips down the line of buckets.) Total washing and hanging time was 10-15 minutes.

20151009_153838.jpg

This little girl is probably only 1.5 oz, but a 4-6 oz plant takes about the same time. Slghtly more or less time based on the number of branches.

Washed my first harvest this week. Was going to just wash some of it but spidermites came back right before harvest! Although very mild and they only caused minimal damage to a couple branches, but still, wasn't going to take the chance of smoking mite eggs or some crap like that. So I washed it all, even the popcorn buds, just threw them in a strainer and dunked it in the buckets.

To be honest, I don't even care if I lost some trichomes, just knowing that my buds don't have mites on them, or animal hair, or dirt, or dust or any "foreign" matter helps me sleep better at night lol. I kinda wish I would of saved a nug to compare the two but eh whatever, I've smoked plenty of unwashed buds already.

For anyone that cares, I used 3 buckets:

1st - Tap water w/ baking soda/lemon juice (Luke warm)
2nd - Tap water (room temp)
3rd - RO water ( slightly below room temp)

For branches that had a little bit of mite damage I had another bucket of warm tap water that I'd dunk them in first before the other three, just to try an pre-rinse any bugs or anything off before going through the main wash.

Big ups to Doc and all the people that contributed to this thread :Namaste:

Bud washing injury

After partaking of Marijuana for 40 years, I have suffered my first bud related injury! After washing my bud, I noticed for the first time that there was baking soda residue at the bottom of the lemon juice/baking soda bucket. After 24 hours, I noticed a burning sensation on my left pinkie under my ring. I failed to remove my rings before bud washing. My left pinkie ring is a large Lapis Lazuli. Unbeknownst to me, Lapis Lazuli and acid form Hydrogen Sulfide. Aparently my ring in the water for several minutes combined with the lemon juice (acid) forming hydrogen sulfide and chemically burning my skin. Ouch.

The moral: Cleaning agents can be harmful! Don't wear Lapis Lazuli while exposing yourself to lemon juice - even dilute lemon juice!

20151010_162422-2.jpg

H2S can be EXTREMELY lethal and I am not even joking. I was in drilling and needed to learn about it. " Atmospheres containing high concentrations (greater than 100 ppm) are considered immediately dangerous to life and health (IDLH) and a selfcontained breathing apparatus (SCBA) is required. "

Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S)

You should have a sample lab tested before sending anything to patients lest the nugs may contain small amounts that can vaporize when smoked.

H2S can be EXTREMELY lethal and I am not even joking. I was in drilling and needed to learn about it. " Atmospheres containing high concentrations (greater than 100 ppm) are considered immediately dangerous to life and health (IDLH) and a selfcontained breathing apparatus (SCBA) is required. "

Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S)

You should have a sample lab tested before sending anything to patients lest the nugs may contain small amounts that can vaporize when smoked.

I've never lab tested my cannabis, but this is an excellent reason to start!

Bud washing injury

After partaking of Marijuana for 40 years, I have suffered my first bud related injury! After washing my bud, I noticed for the first time that there was baking soda residue at the bottom of the lemon juice/baking soda bucket. After 24 hours, I noticed a burning sensation on my left pinkie under my ring. I failed to remove my rings before bud washing. My left pinkie ring is a large Lapis Lazuli. Unbeknownst to me, Lapis Lazuli and acid form Hydrogen Sulfide. Aparently my ring in the water for several minutes combined with the lemon juice (acid) forming hydrogen sulfide and chemically burning my skin. Ouch.

The moral: Cleaning agents can be harmful! Don't wear Lapis Lazuli while exposing yourself to lemon juice - even dilute lemon juice!

Wow, what an interesting thing to learn! I love lapis and I had no idea it could produce sulfuric acid. :laughtwo: Duly noted - thanks!

Doncha just love common gemstone? I have some basketweave onyx mosaic tile walls - lovely material. :cheesygrinsmiley: Got an itch to do something with lapis.

Wow, what an interesting thing to learn! I love lapis and I had no idea it could produce sulfuric acid. :laughtwo: Duly noted - thanks!

Doncha just love common gemstone? I have some basketweave onyx mosaic tile walls - lovely material. :cheesygrinsmiley: Got an itch to do something with lapis.

I placed the hanging harvest into a garbage bag, but I haven't yet thrown it away.

I do love my Lapis Rings. Since I have been wearing this pinkie ring 24/7 the last few years, it was a simple oversight that I left my rings on for the bud washing.

The daughter is the gemstone expert. She has multiple gemstone spheres and such exotica as a green flash labrodite massaging stone.

For Mosaic walls, you might take a look at the Chapel of the Princes, Church of San Lorenzo, Florence. It took about 100 years to plan, and another 400 years to complete, but I think they did a might fine job with their mosiac tile walls and floors :green_heart:

With 82 pages of posts i am not going to read through it all to get the info that is probably there. Just some questions. Whye use hydrogen peroxide for part of the washing process? Also where do you get it from? I'm in scotland, uk, so some places may or probably wont stock it. The first post here says to use lemon juice and baking soda so would this be sufficient enough? Do you trim your buds first then wash or do you just remove fan leaves and then wash, wait to dry for a day or two then trim? Also if you trim after washing i assume that trim can be used for bubble hash? Also what about the water that you use to wash which will enevitibly have trichomes in it.... can that be used during the bubble making process so as not to waste any trichomes?

Am gonna have to do a side by side run of this to see if there is any difference. Personally i have always trimmed my plants as soon as i pulled them down, placed in a cardboard box or on a large piece of wood and dried out for around 5-7 days then placed into jars for curing. I now cure better than i once did and try to wait at least a month before sampling my product. When i first started i trimmed, dried and started to smoke it without a cure - bad mistake and my stuff always smelt like hay but the smoke was good.

My current grow is being done in a forest clearing. Not been sprayed with anything just fed with some all round fertiliser, fed with black treacle water (pretty much the same as molasses) and also pk 13/14. Have been leaving nature to take its course and seen as it a first grow (well outdoor guerilla grow) i have done no bad. Made some mistakes but will learn for next time. So if plants have not been sprayed is washing really neccessary? I only ask as time is against me due to family coming up and my eldest son's birthday. Cant exactly start washing, drying, trimming while i got peole visiting.

Back
Top Bottom