Bud Washing

1 cup lemon juice and 1 cup baking soda to 5 gal. water.
~ 12,5 ml lemon juice per litre water and 15 g baking soda per litre water.

And the amounts are nowhere near critical - close enough is just fine. :cheesygrinsmiley: I fill a sink and put in 1/4 cup - don' know for sure how much water the sink holds.

So if I were to transplant in early flower with prebuds forming and wanted to transplant but was worried about the dirt getting on to them, would bud washing remove the dirt or since it was so early in flower would the bud grow around it making the water and such never even touch it?

Hi All, First time poster and just want to thank all that have contributed - it's super informative and eye opening. Being a newb, I need some help so all replies are appreciated. Im in day 37 of flower for my critical mass cbd that has some pm. Ive been spraying a product called Mac's that has 99% citric acid and 1% dextrose, but it has been a losing battle. Im scrogging and they are way overcrowded, even after adding circulation and removing much undergrowth. Looking through a 60x scope, they trichomes appear about 45% clear, 45% cloudy, and 10% amber. All of this on day 37?? Question is should I harvest now and try to save crop or let her go for another week to see how they develop?? I plan on making all of the harvest into oil. I will do the prescribed wash, decarboxylate in oven, and after bathing in alcohol will filter through a .22 micron filter. I guess I just don't want to include any nasties in my oil, and don't want things to get worse. Sorry if this is TMI but want to be thorough. Thanks again !!!

I would like to know this too. Need universal measurements rather than a cup of lemon and baking soda to a bucket of water. Cup and bucket sizes vary as do US and UK measurements. Perhaps done in litres or ml will save any confusion across everyones mind.

Just on another note how many plants can be done before water needs changing? I think someone said one but i assume that plant may be quite a big plant. I got 15 autos to do in a couple of months and hoping to get 1.5oz off each. Water change after 5 plants at a time or just change around the halfway mark?

I try to bunch up plants to get a minimum of 5 oz (dry) washed per 5 gallon bucket. I would keep washing until the second rinse starts getting brown/ dirty (not just floating debris.) I would guess your whole harvest can be done in one setup of 5 gallon buckets.

Hi All, First time poster and just want to thank all that have contributed - it's super informative and eye opening. Being a newb, I need some help so all replies are appreciated. Im in day 37 of flower for my critical mass cbd that has some pm. Ive been spraying a product called Mac's that has 99% citric acid and 1% dextrose, but it has been a losing battle. Im scrogging and they are way overcrowded, even after adding circulation and removing much undergrowth. Looking through a 60x scope, they trichomes appear about 45% clear, 45% cloudy, and 10% amber. All of this on day 37?? Question is should I harvest now and try to save crop or let her go for another week to see how they develop?? I plan on making all of the harvest into oil. I will do the prescribed wash, decarboxylate in oven, and after bathing in alcohol will filter through a .22 micron filter. I guess I just don't want to include any nasties in my oil, and don't want things to get worse. Sorry if this is TMI but want to be thorough. Thanks again !!!

If you are going for the CBD - harvest early. Maybe as early as 10% cloudy.

If you wait, you will probably get more bulk with a lower CBD content.

I have harvested at 40 and 42 days with no amber and had strong, zippy highs.

I use one of our Sponsor's products, SNS-311 to wash my buds, been using it for years and it works fabulously. Especially if you don't feel like squeezing lemons and scooping baking soda every time you want to harvest....;)

It contains the same essential analogous ingredients as Doc's recipe, so I would recommend others to give it a try if looking for an alternative method

IMG_36102.JPG
IMG_36092.JPG

I just pour ~10 mL into the wash bucket, stir it around, wash. Then rinse those flowers in a separate pure water only bucket.

Works great for me :thumb:

Aloha :Namaste:

I was thinking of using that product also but since that one bottle only makes 2 gallons, is it cost effective compared to using lemon juice and baking soda?

I don't make it nearly as concentrated as they say to on the directions.

I only use a small amount, ~10-15 mL (or less) dissolved in multiple gallons of water, so very little is being used per harvest. One bottle has lasted me over a year by being conservative, and it's still a very effective wash. :surf:

I use organic Italian lemon juice(not concentrate), it's ~ 3 USD per bottle of 250 ml at the supermarket.
It's cheap, easy to use and certified organic by the EU, so only semi organic in my book;)

WP_20160108_18_44_37_Pro.jpg

The SNS product works super good. Perfect even.

Except one bottle per wash, making it way too pricey. I might consider using it on buds I take to a competition.

One bottle has lasted me quite awhile with several washings and several harvests :thumb:

Great testing ogtank .

:high-five: for all the hardwork counting trichomes and debris. This seems like the best possible place to discuss this.

I don't know why you wouldn't add a little citrus juice and baking soda scrubbing action, but it is valuable to know that the smoothness and white ash seem to be related to the rinsing more than the washing step. I might try a quick wash / quick rinse / soak next harvest day.
I am definitely considering this for my next wash.

It's funny how many people just don't use this method.

Many of my friends tell me they've never heard about washing/rinsing and that it's not in any of the new books, talks, blogs, etc.

But once I started washing, I noticed that there is information in the newer books about it. Maybe not the full or exact processes, techniques or steps as the one's in this thread, but they are there.

I noticed in a few of the newer books (I review a lot of books for fun and work) that they do have information on rinsing/washing.

Crazy huh?

-ogtank

I am definitely considering this for my next wash.

It's funny how many people just don't use this method.

Many of my friends tell me they've never heard about washing/rinsing and that it's not in any of the new books, talks, blogs, etc.

But once I started washing, I noticed that there is information in the newer books about it. Maybe not the full or exact processes, techniques or steps as the one's in this thread, but they are there.

I noticed in a few of the newer books (I review a lot of books for fun and work) that they do have information on rinsing/washing.

Crazy huh?

-ogtank

It was started right here on 420mag. The process of budwashing that is.

It was started right here on 420mag. The process of budwashing that is.
That's really cool. Glad I know where it came from originally.

The books I'm talking about have some other references for the methods.

But this thread has been around longer than the books, so I know it originated here.

And the books aren't exactly like yours, so it's not like they are plagiarizing your thread. But they are still similar.

For Example:

The Cannabis Encyclopedia

6eb685ead4cd8d92da6844d7d4fecaec.jpg

Excerpt*:

9437b04677cbbaf50cf39f30986e6b76.jpg

fb244660a09fc9d2464135b1003fa7d8.jpg

Not that similar, but still another type of washing.

Did you know anythjng about this method?

Citation*:
Cervantes, J. (2015). Harvest, Drying & Curing. In The Cannabis Encyclopedia: The Definitive Guide to Cultivation & Consumption of Medical Marijuana (1st ed., p. 119). Van Pattern Publishing.

That's really cool. Glad I know where it came from originally.

The books I'm talking about have some other references for the methods.

But this thread has been around longer than the books, so I know it originated here.

And the books aren't exactly like yours, so it's not like they are plagiarizing your thread. But they are still similar.

For Example:

The Cannabis Encyclopedia

6eb685ead4cd8d92da6844d7d4fecaec.jpg

Excerpt*:

9437b04677cbbaf50cf39f30986e6b76.jpg

fb244660a09fc9d2464135b1003fa7d8.jpg

Not that similar, but still another type of washing.

Did you know anythjng about this method?

Citation*:
Cervantes, J. (2015). Harvest, Drying & Curing. In The Cannabis Encyclopedia: The Definitive Guide to Cultivation & Consumption of Medical Marijuana (1st ed., p. 119). Van Pattern Publishing.

That's called water curing. I first heard of it on Overgrow circa 2005.

That's called water curing. I cried heard of it on Overgrow circa 2005.
Oh. Cool-cool. Thanks for the confirmation.

Did it really originate from overseas?

Do you know if the original idea for washing had anything to do with water curing?

Is Water Curing a more popular method?

-ogtank

Overgrow was a good site.

Back
Top Bottom