Bud Washing

i did use same BS/LJ bucket, I won't do that again, how long can one keep that solution before need to replace it? every day?
I did several methods some just fan leaves off, some completely. hanging on coat hangers - temp 72-75 - humidly 53-58
i never have put my buds in a paper bag method...you guys do this??
im only getting 10-12 secs underwater per bucket, just cause i'm fracking old and got's chit to do!
dis BAD????
purplegunracks plan is good idea, im try that..

The baking soda/lemon juice combo is "good" for hours, not days. I put the baking soda in first, stir it up and add the lemon juice immediately prior to putting the buds in. The washing process takes a few minutes and I'll do no more than two plants, usually one.

30 seconds minimum per bucket.

But even dunking for 10 seconds is an improvement!

This is so amazing! I can't wait to try it out. Check out these little hairs and what not in my buds now : (
20160507_181905.jpg

Cheers!

Thanks for the chime in man. I do have a full beard and have been pulling hairs off the girls for the last few hours today. I do see those strands of hairs in there but I think they are from this string I am using mostly. Either way I might end up washing them just for S&G anyways. Hoping 12 more days for harvest :D

CGM

Cogrowman, welcome to 420mag!! :welcome::420:

Thank you so much for this thread. Did some testers before i harvest next week and they sparkle magnificently after the wash and the taste, even with a quick dry, is markedly improved. I'll never go unwashed again.

Yep. They all say that. Welcome.

Hey doc read this thread and chuckle to myself, the only people with negative feedback are the ones that don't try it. I am right on track for this sat night harvest. My plan is straight from tent to wash. Why not right all it can do is make a good grow better:thumb:

I haven't smoked for years. Since high school actually (15+ years ago). I decided to try some of the washed bud after all the positive reviews and feedback I received from my patients.

The Strain: Strawberry Cake (HeavyWeight Seeds)

Washed Bud / 2 Hits from a Pipe: It was easy to smoke, not harsh at all and I didn't need to cough (which was something I remember doing a lot when I smoked years ago). The high was intense, but nice. I was able to fall asleep when I wanted to and was not paranoid at all. The ash was all white (after passing it along to someone else to finish what was left).

Then I smoked some of the bud that hadn't been washed to compare the two.

Unwashed Bud / 2 Hits from a Pipe: I coughed and coughed. The taste was close to the same, but much harsher. The finished ash was not like the ashes from the washed bud at all. The high was not the same either. It lasted for around the same time, but I couldn't fall asleep when I tried and I got paranoid about an hour into it.

I want the best and cleanest organically grown medicine for the people I grow for (I grow for patients that cannot afford their meds, but need them). So I tried this out. I didn't follow any one person's method. I kind of went off of a few different bud washing techniques I picked up on page one of this thread. For the size of my grows and the amount of help I have (which is none), I had to figure out what best suited my situation (which I believe is important with anything that involves growing cannabis).

I ended up with 2 Buckets total:

- Bucket 1: Warm Faucet Water
- Bucket 2: RO Water (cooler than room temperature)

I checked the buckets afterwards for trichome-loss that occurred during washing. I emptied the buckets through a few different screen meshes to separate the dirt, debris and trichomes.

Trichome-Loss Results:

I Counted-

- 309 Trichomes in Bucket 1
- 35 Trichomes in Bucket 2

After I dried and cured the bud properly, I had 2.1 LBS. of dry product. So the counts above were from processing approximately 2 LBS. of (finished product).

I did this all in a clean room and with a few different microscopes. The Trichome-Loss counts took me around 4 hours to do twice.

Not scientific, but I have been logging every grow like this since.

I'm sure there could be much more or less differences in trichome-loss from grower to grower, strain to strain, etc. But this is how it worked out for the tests I did an the methods I used.

Thank you to the OP's.

-ogtank

What else did you find in the meshes?

And no mention of detergents? So you merely washed in water?

In many cases, the pics I see of wash water are almost clean with a few odd things floating around. It always makes me wonder if there isn't more to the smoothness of the smoke. If it weren't exactly dirty before, then what accounts for the obvious difference? It has to also have something to do with how the plant metabolizes as it dries with extra water in the tissues.

I'm an early adopter and I'm still blown away by all the positive testimonials! Thanks for checking it out! :Namaste:

I haven't smoked for years. Since high school actually (15+ years ago). I decided to try some of the washed bud after all the positive reviews and feedback I received from my patients.

The Strain: Strawberry Cake (HeavyWeight Seeds)

Washed Bud / 2 Hits from a Pipe: It was easy to smoke, not harsh at all and I didn't need to cough (which was something I remember doing a lot when I smoked years ago). The high was intense, but nice. I was able to fall asleep when I wanted to and was not paranoid at all. The ash was all white (after passing it along to someone else to finish what was left).

Then I smoked some of the bud that hadn't been washed to compare the two.

Unwashed Bud / 2 Hits from a Pipe: I coughed and coughed. The taste was close to the same, but much harsher. The finished ash was not like the ashes from the washed bud at all. The high was not the same either. It lasted for around the same time, but I couldn't fall asleep when I tried and I got paranoid about an hour into it.

I want the best and cleanest organically grown medicine for the people I grow for (I grow for patients that cannot afford their meds, but need them). So I tried this out. I didn't follow any one person's method. I kind of went off of a few different bud washing techniques I picked up on page one of this thread. For the size of my grows and the amount of help I have (which is none), I had to figure out what best suited my situation (which I believe is important with anything that involves growing cannabis).

I ended up with 2 Buckets total:

- Bucket 1: Warm Faucet Water
- Bucket 2: RO Water (cooler than room temperature)

I checked the buckets afterwards for trichome-loss that occurred during washing. I emptied the buckets through a few different screen meshes to separate the dirt, debris and trichomes.

Trichome-Loss Results:

I Counted-

- 309 Trichomes in Bucket 1
- 35 Trichomes in Bucket 2

After I dried and cured the bud properly, I had 2.1 LBS. of dry product. So the counts above were from processing approximately 2 LBS. of (finished product).

I did this all in a clean room and with a few different microscopes. The Trichome-Loss counts took me around 4 hours to do twice.

Not scientific, but I have been logging every grow like this since.

I'm sure there could be much more or less differences in trichome-loss from grower to grower, strain to strain, etc. But this is how it worked out for the tests I did an the methods I used.

Thank you to the OP's.

-ogtank

ogtank, Welcome to :420:
Good for you for trying it out! :thumb:

What else did you find in the meshes?

And no mention of detergents? So you merely washed in water?

If it weren't exactly dirty before, then what accounts for the obvious difference?

No detergents at all. Just really warm water and cool water. I would dunk the branches in for about 5 seconds, then bring them up and dunk them back in for another 10 seconds. I would do this set of 5 and 10 about 5 times. I was not rough, but not easy either. I would change the water for each pound (dry pound).

The water in the buckets would have sort of an oily reflection on the top after awhile. Kind of like looking at a puddle at a gas station (where there was a little gasoline in the puddle and it would show that weird reflection). Not colorful, but that same kind of reflection. It was odd, but happened every time.

I Grow in 100% Organic Soil and use Roots Organics when needed. One thing I have never done is Foilar Feed with anything but Rain Water and/or RO Water. And I don't use RO/DI if that makes any difference?

I am sure that because I'm not a Scientist or an ISO-Certified Lab, that my results are not anywhere near 100% accurate.

I was more or less hoping we could get some sort of testing/results procedures in place that anyone washing their bud could use to keep track of? Like a Generic Bud Washing Log Template?

Everything else I could Identify in the Meshes:

- Small particles of dirt (from the fans blowing air throughout the grow room during all stages?).
- A small amount of tiny hairs.
- Good amount of dust particles (dead human/animal skin cells?).
- A little bit of water scale (I'm guessing from the warm bucket being low ppm faucet water?).​

Again, these are just what I had in my notes from my last Bud Wash. I will be doing this again in 42 days. So if there are any requests for specifics (from the OP or anyone else) on my next Wash, please let me know. But if this isn't the place for me to do this, then please let me know. I don't want to intrude/hijack anyone's thread. I just wanted to share what I did with the help of this great information here.

-ogtank

Great testing ogtank .

:high-five: for all the hardwork counting trichomes and debris. This seems like the best possible place to discuss this.

I don't know why you wouldn't add a little citrus juice and baking soda scrubbing action, but it is valuable to know that the smoothness and white ash seem to be related to the rinsing more than the washing step. I might try a quick wash / quick rinse / soak next harvest day.

what are the measurements for the lemon juice and baking soda to how much water?

can someone re-post the amounts please?

I would like to know this too. Need universal measurements rather than a cup of lemon and baking soda to a bucket of water. Cup and bucket sizes vary as do US and UK measurements. Perhaps done in litres or ml will save any confusion across everyones mind.

Just on another note how many plants can be done before water needs changing? I think someone said one but i assume that plant may be quite a big plant. I got 15 autos to do in a couple of months and hoping to get 1.5oz off each. Water change after 5 plants at a time or just change around the halfway mark?

Back
Top Bottom