Bud Washing

The lemon juice is a crucial step in the wash with the baking soda..

DrZiggy is right

Bottled lemon juice is great for bud washing :)

eat the fresh...

DrZiggy is still right :rofl:

I'm hitting up homewares and groceries tomorrow friend, for a couple of larger basins/ buckets, (my trial was in large pans) a new strainer to examine debris, and a bag of lemons. I have seen vids with people using the bottled lemon juice. Is there a difference? I'd prefer to go with real lemons myself. Here's the girl in question. Ima gonna miss her...
Here she is, sorry photo is sideways
rsz_1rsz_week9.jpg

P.s- Leds not really that close, I was in the middle of fixing wires at top.

THAT is a pretty cola ! Enjoy your washed buds :)

DrZiggy is right.
Thank you both. :)
I'm pretty amazed at it as well. I've only ever gotten an oz or so from a plant before. I'm super happy, but I'm really going to miss her, she's lived in my en-suite shower for 4 months. I talk to her, and play her music. I reconcile myself that her purpose is to make beautiful flowers for whoever nurtured her from seed.

DrZiggy is right.
Thank you both. :)
I'm pretty amazed at it as well. I've only ever gotten an oz or so from a plant before. I'm super happy, but I'm really going to miss her, she's lived in my en-suite shower for 4 months. I talk to her, and play her music. I reconcile myself that her purpose is to make beautiful flowers for whoever nurtured her from seed.

grow another one, different, better :thumb:

Cheers, I will try.
I harvested yesterday after I found some bottled lemon juice in about the 5th shop I went into. I really wanted to video it, or at least take photos-but my hands were either wet or wearing gloves. I harvested in the kitchen, and it felt like preparing vegetables. I got into a good rhythm with it, listening to my fav sounds made it go quicker.
I found I had to top up the 'warm' basin with hot ro water a few times, just to keep it around about 100 degrees. Left the buds drying overnight with constant airflow and a fan, dehumidifier on anytime rh went above 60. Just got a loan of the neighbours kitchen scales and it's 1.2lbs after 1 night drying. I did a good bit of trimming before i washed, but I still have to remove most sugar leaves and some stalks.
After the foliars the plant got in veg, it makes perfect sense to wash.
And for those that worry about bud rot, it's no worse than foliar feeding, most were dry in 3 hours, the main cola took 12 hours to dry out. Now the wait begins. I have to buy meds this evening looking at all that hanging up, ya gotta laugh... :thanks:

Cheers, I will try.
I harvested yesterday after I found some bottled lemon juice in about the 5th shop I went into. I really wanted to video it, or at least take photos-but my hands were either wet or wearing gloves. I harvested in the kitchen, and it felt like preparing vegetables. I got into a good rhythm with it, listening to my fav sounds made it go quicker.
I found I had to top up the 'warm' basin with hot ro water a few times, just to keep it around about 100 degrees. Left the buds drying overnight with constant airflow and a fan, dehumidifier on anytime rh went below 60. Just got a loan of the neighbours kitchen scales and it's 1.2lbs after 1 night drying. I did a good bit of trimming before i washed, but I still have to remove most sugar leaves and some stalks.
After the foliars the plant got in veg, it makes perfect sense to wash.
And for those that worry about bud rot, it's no worse than foliar feeding, most were dry in 3 hours, the main cola took 12 hours to dry out. Now the wait begins. I have to buy meds this evening looking at all that hanging up, ya gotta laugh...

Dobbi, congratulations!! (+) reps for trying washing :bravo:
100F is a little too warm, IMO. Some lower b.p. terpenes although may not be very soluble in colder water, may evaporate in warm to hot water.
try a test of the same plant ..some in room temperature water side by side with 100F temps..
:)

Thank you. I had this thread open like a recipie book whilst washing, and I was sure that it said that number but I was s bit stressed so most likely got it wrong. The Ro tap dispenses water quite slowly, so I'd be waiting an hour a gallon.
it was in the 80-90s mostly, tbh I thought I hadn't it hot enough as I couldn't keep it at 100-, it was v cold weather-wise, thankfully in retrospect of what you've said.
Re: last paragraph, I washed all in one 2 hour (including preparation) session. So I can't compare. I should also have left one unwashed as a test. Thank you for all your helpful advice. I understand what you said about terpines and they are different from trichs. Had a look with my mini scope and there seems to be as many, and the same profile (25% amber) as before. And they smell great too. Thanks

Sent from my happy grow room.

I did plan to wash but never planed on using Hydrogen Peroxide. I hated the idea of using that since it sounds so, well, chemically. At any rate, after conradino and Doc Bud diagnosed some PM on my ladies, it's a must now. Coincidentally, I went to whole foods today to get some groceries and they had "food quality H2O2". Having no idea how that differed from regular H2O2 found in most stores, my intuition screamed at me "dummy, this is food quality H2O2 3%. Cannibus is food. GET IT!! ", so I did.

Turns out the difference is that on the brown bottle, or one meant solely for topical use, regulations do not require it list all ingredients. Some of those ingredients not listed are toxic, consisting of metals. Check out this video below created by the manufacturer of the product I selected. The approximate cost of 1.5 gallons of this stuff, which is whats needed in a 5 gallon tub I use, is about $75. That's pricey, no doubt, but in the scheme of things, I consider it a bargain when it's only adding to the cleaning and sterilization of the product with no potential metals or toxic stabilizers being introduced. I never intended to even use H2O2 unless I had some PM, which I do on the Vanilla Kush, but after learning about the food quality H2O2, I am thinking of using it from now on, regardless. I'll see how this run goes and what you all think.

Apologies if this has already been covered. Don't recall reading about it and have read all 100+ pages of this awesome thread. Will be interested in your comments, but for me, personally, I'm sold. No way would I use a non food-quality H2O2 after learning this...

[video=youtube;BrODKapEp7c]
[/video]

Will take pics tomorrow and share.

Namaste all,

Zafu

Does anyone else have any information regarding food grade vs regular H202, and if it would be harmful to use regular 3% H202 to wash? I definitely don't want toxic ingredients to contact the meds.

I'm glad to see people are adopting my bud washing technique!

Yes, I "invented" it. I shared it with you folks here on 420....and nowhere else. I've never met, spoken to, or heard about anyone else doing it before I tried it.....and I enjoy freaking people out by putting fresh buds in a bucket of water....

But as many have said here, the results speak for themselves!

Let me put it to you like this:

Let's say I grew lettuce, cucumbers, tomatos and carrots in my basement. It's dusty down there, I've got fans flowing all around....battled with some PM, had some mites.....every now and then I get some rot or other disease on my plants....bugs flying around, dead skin cells, hair.....and I spray the plants with compost tea, fish fertilizer, kelp meal, etc.

So, you wanna come over for a salad? We'll just pull the veggies out of the ground, plop 'em in a bowl and start eating! No need to wash.....right?

The first time you wash your harvest and see all that brown crap left behind you'll begin to see the light! Then, when you smoke your first washed harvest, you'll understand.

For those who are new to this, here's my method:

4 buckets total. (5 gallon buckets are perfect)

Bucket 1: 3 parts RO water to 1 part 3% H202.
Bucket 2: 5 gallons of RO with 1 cup baking soda, 1 cup Lemon Juice
Buckets 3 and 4: RO only.

Cut down plants, pull off fan leaves by hand, remove any necrotic leaves. Leave sugar leaves and anything with frosting on the plant.

Fully submerge in bucket 1 (H2O2) for 30 seconds. Submerge for a full minute if you had ANY sign of PM or bud rot. Let water drip from buds and then.....

Fully submerge in buckets 2 through 4 for 30 seconds each...lightly agitating the whole time.

Allow produce to drip dry. You can blow a fan on it if you like, just make sure it's blowing clean air.

Hang and dry per usual.

Final manicure of buds is best done after they dry. It goes very fast and you're left with washed, highly resinous trim....makes superb joints. I'm also educating my customers to select untrimmed buds, which are actually better than the manicured ones because they still have sugar leaves attached. The trichomes in the leaves have more THC than those in the buds.....so it's good to get the whole spectrum in there.

I give instructions for this in my journals, as I do it every single week, on every single harvest. Once you try it, you'll never go back.

This works so well for a couple reasons:

1. takes off dirt, foliar sprays, bugs, fiberglass dust, etc.
2. fully hydrates the leaves, allowing photosynthesis to occur for a day or two on cut and trimmed buds. I recommend leaving a light on the buds for the first day or two after washing.

This results in very, dense, clean burning, smooth tasting produce! That's the basic recipe....and I'm tweaking and changing it all the time.

Warning: Do NOT use an "organic produce wash" that is based on oils! They sell these in grocery stores and health food stores, and while they might be good for lettuce and cukes....the oil removes resin from the plants.....don't use it!

Water will not harm resin....oil can and does.

Anyone who wants to know more about my methods is welcome to ask me about them anytime!
Doc bud when you say you recommend leaving a light on the washed buds for a day do you mean a little light or full blown washed buds under my led panels?

anything that occurs in nature cannot be unnatural!
The Birth & Evolution Of A Dragon

Unknown Strain From Seed - First Time Grow

But what's going to wash out all the minerals from the tap water. seems to me in this situation, distilled water would be the way to fly ? I don't harvest till about Xmas., and have to do this to get the azamax off, used for mite infestation .

Hi Slowpuffer :)
I hope you are doing well!
PTSDgrower is having a bit of a Mite issue at the moment. I suggested Azamax, as it worked well for me in veg. PTSD is well into flowering and my concern was leaving residue on the flowers. I was thinking it might be ok, provided a nice thorough bud washing was done after harvest. I came across your post while looking into this.
Your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

KGB
✌️..

-------------------------------------------
What you think, what you feel, and what manifests is always a match.. Every single time, no exceptions.
:Namaste:

.KGBs Multi-strain Manifold.
KGBs Multi-Strain Manifold
420magazine mobile app

I don't remember where I read it, maybe the 420 news feed, but the article was about concentrates being full of pesticides when tested. This is the stupid shit that gives our hobby/business a bad rap. I would hate to know how many chemicals are sprayed all over crops every single day. Yuk! Dunno how much washing is happening these days, I would never have heard it if it wasn't for 420mag. I've been in a room while a batch was being trimmed and it went straight to a drying line. From there it goes straight to our local dispensaries. That's a practice I'll never follow. Full on WASHED top shelf for moi (and friends).

I don't remember where I read it, maybe the 420 news feed, but the article was about concentrates being full of pesticides when tested. This is the stupid shit that gives our hobby/business a bad rap. I would hate to know how many chemicals are sprayed all over crops every single day. Yuk! Dunno how much washing is happening these days, I would never have heard it if it wasn't for 420mag. I've been in a room while a batch was being trimmed and it went straight to a drying line. From there it goes straight to our local dispensaries. That's a practice I'll never follow. Full on WASHED top shelf for moi (and friends).

Part of the reason Massachusetts took so long to get their Medical dispensaries up and running is they set up standards for contamination and pesticides. None of the early applicants grew to the purity standards. The state eventually gave an exemption for the first dispensary after their 2nd or 3rd testing failure. I believe everyone else eventually got the same exemption.

The original standards were more stringent than Colorado and California standards - but still, no bud passed the test.

Part of the reason Massachusetts took so long to get their Medical dispensaries up and running is they set up standards for contamination and pesticides. None of the early applicants grew to the purity standards. The state eventually gave an exemption for the first dispensary after their 2nd or 3rd testing failure. I believe everyone else eventually got the same exemption.

The original standards were more stringent than Colorado and California standards - but still, no bud passed the test.

Our High Brix buds will pass every test, provided they are washed. Not a problem.

Thats why I'm doing brix and washing, to step away from the status quo. Someone will get hurt someday and serious regulations will come out of congress, both good and bad.

I would like to fill my lungs with exquisite smoke and nothing else. Now back to the wash.

As Zigs and Rad have already posted, the bottled lemon juice is groovy. Used it with all of my washing with zero issues. My flower was tested in a lab and received a clean bill of health.

Well I tried it. There hanging in the tent now drying. Some how I miss read and only used a half cup of baking soda and half cup of lemon juice. Shouldnt be a big deal tho. I never sprayed anything on them and they lived there life inside a tent. Only took them out to water them. All air intakes have filters on them ect.
So I dont think I hurt anything using half the recommended baking soda and lemon juice. Excited to see how they turn out. Looking at pigeons420 vids, his buds seem to keep there shape and doesn't shrink up tight like normal buds. Not sure if this is because of bud washing or something else.

Well I tried it. There hanging in the tent now drying. Some how I miss read and only used a half cup of baking soda and half cup of lemon juice. Shouldnt be a big deal tho. I never sprayed anything on them and they lived there life inside a tent. Only took them out to water them. All air intakes have filters on them ect.
So I dont think I hurt anything using half the recommended baking soda and lemon juice. Excited to see how they turn out. Looking at pigeons420 vids, his buds seem to keep there shape and doesn't shrink up tight like normal buds. Not sure if this is because of bud washing or something else.

congratulations on taking the leap of faith!
they'll be great!!

:)

Congrats on your wash. I'm sure you got some fizz out of the half-strength wash. :)
Out of 8? strains I have washed and dried, one of them did not shrink.
I don't know why it didn't shrink. It wasn't the washing. Probably in the genetics as it had a short, opened pine cone shape before and after the dry. My other strains were a 'normal' lumpy hairball shape :)

Congrats on your wash. I'm sure you got some fizz out of the half-strength wash. :)
Out of 8? strains I have washed and dried, one of them did not shrink.
I don't know why it didn't shrink. It wasn't the washing. Probably in the genetics as it had a short, opened pine cone shape before and after the dry. My other strains were a 'normal' lumpy hairball shape :)

Heya Rad hope all is well in your world our friend. We're sold on the bud washing but hope few will follow these truely valuable instructions because we're very happy to supplie our sub par washed bud to our local crew. Some of these tools that bash our Doc are truly so jealous that they can't come close to Docs gear. Hell, it's our second grow an we can see how much Doc has advanced us! We're not smarter than any one else here by any means, we are sub rookie status to be honest, our second grow ever and Doc made us kill it.

Blessed Buds our friend :passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom