Buds shooting bananas...why?

supertoke

420 Member
Had this chunky cheese strain for about 5 years and i noticed on the last batch it is shooting out little banana looking , i guess pollen sacks. Last batch it had one or two,...no seeds in the end product and everything was fine. This batch im noticing even more,..still no seeding going on. Is the strain played out? Why is it doing this,..definitely not a hermie, yet. One of my favorites and hate to do away with it, but then again i dont want it to pollenate anything else either. Any insight would be appreciated. Will next batch be worse? Can it go away in the future? None of the other strains are doing it,..so im kind of ruling out stress.:helpsmilie:

if its shooting nanners its a hermie or is on its way to. It will start producing seeds. No need to worry if your close to harvest. And you say you had the strain for 5 years it could had burnt out.

This just happend to me: I am pretty sure they are called specious staminate flowers.
P10001451.JPG

Females can Change
Even pure female plants have the potential to turn male or hermaphrodite. This can happen if the plant is stressed too much through bad treatment or if hormones are applied to the plant to induce male flowering. Often near the end of flowering unfertilised stressed out females will produce one or two male flowers in a vein attempt to continue the species. Over cloned mother plants kept for too long can also suddenly start producing clones that change sex.

From same article:
Please note that occassionally specious staminate flowers will appear in the last days of flowering of a female marijuana plant. These do not drop pollen and their appearance is not considered evidence of deleterious hermaphroditism.

My mother plant herself is a clone. Also these only got plain water for about 3 weeks. This picture was taken day of harvest (day 56 of 12/12) and hte banana had been there at least 2 days. No seeds found.

Congrats! Its a HERMIE!! :p you should pluck all the nanners off you see carefully!

It was the first time in 5 grows with this same genetics/clone that this happened. I believe it was induced hermie from only giving it plain water for 3 weeks. It popped out 2 days before harvest and I didn't find any seeds.

It was the first time in 5 grows with this same genetics/clone that this happened. I believe it was induced hermie from only giving it plain water for 3 weeks. It popped out 2 days before harvest and I didn't find any seeds.

I doubt the plain water caused the hermie. Sometimes, things just happen. It shouldn't effect your grow though being this late in the game.

I had a plant hermie late in flowering and she was still very good smoke. dont lose any sleep over this, i also agree with roadlizard, plain water for 3 weeks wouldnt cause it, alot of people water with just plain water for a week or 2 before harvest. It is usually caused by stress, usually light leaks, high temps, or even just the fact if your letting it mature very late she will try and self reproduce so she doesnt die.

Here is some additional info for you
R U confused about hermies and 'nanners? - Cannabis Culture Forums

good luck and happy tolking brotha!

I had a plant hermie late in flowering and she was still very good smoke. dont lose any sleep over this, i also agree with roadlizard, plain water for 3 weeks wouldnt cause it, alot of people water with just plain water for a week or 2 before harvest. It is usually caused by stress, usually light leaks, high temps, or even just the fact if your letting it mature very late she will try and self reproduce so she doesnt die.

Thanks for the info!

this is pretty much what I was going to say. I have a clone forward plant that is in like the 10th generation, last gen I had a nanner or two. I found it was me both f'ing up with light and a couple of power outages that f'ed up the light cycle. Next gen was fine. You have a 5 year old mother...this girl could be trying to propagate herself at that age, next gen will tell.

Back
Top Bottom