Build Your Own LED Grow Light

I wonder if it has anything to do with the model being used, as to keep people from using the incorrect driver for their specific build and the inherent risks involved with mismatching components? I have noticed that Timbers site blanks out the model numbers on the driver's, not necessarily the brand.

THi
I wonder if it has anything to do with the model being used, as to keep people from using the incorrect driver for their specific build and the inherent risks involved with mismatching components? I have noticed that Timbers site blanks out the model numbers on the driver's, not necessarily the brand.
This is an excellent point that I hadn’t considered (though it’s never been mentioned to me in conv with the mods about it). But yeah - it would explain it. It was only the model number section that neede to be blacked out on my pics. But then, maybe Timber block it out because it contains the initials of one of their competitors... which would also make sense. But I prefer your suggestion :thumb:

My initial thought why Timber blanked it out was so that you couldn't use their site as a parts list to go source from other retailers. But it could be for safety concerns. I'm willing to entertain either as valid.

I just went and had a look (couldn’t resist :rolleyes:) and there’s the name (full name and initials) of the manufacturer of components all over the Timber website, they dont seem to care - not on their own site anyway. Maybe I’ll seek some further clarification about it in the guidelines... :nomo:

EDIT: The more times I read the full guidelines, the more I just get it and dont have a problem wth them to be honest. The 3 initials are the brand of a non-sponsor, and if that’s the rule then so be it. Illogical or inconsistent as it may be, to me the reasons all seem valid. Only my opinion of course. What we ought to do is lobby that competitor to become a 420 sponsor... ;) then everybody wins :D (except RETRIX of course, cause he lost his post).

Nice build @Amy Gardner :goodjob:

Don't know about not posting pictures with drivers in them, it's in the text people write about builds anyway...

Just like dealers not liking that you grow your own, it's pretty obvious that light sponsors don't like people building their own lights, or spreading the word of how cheap, easy and efficient it is.
420 is walking a tight rope between sponsors and members on this issue, and I don't see any easy resolution, which is why I treat it like a grey area and expect that some links will be deleted, other than that my conscience bids me to post any information as accurately as possible, and should I rub some feathers the wrong way in doing so, then that's how it must be :)

Sponsors/manufacturers kinda take the lid off Pandora's box when they start selling DIY kits. That's what started me into looking at shopping the parts from other sources and finding out I could buy the components cheaper elsewhere.

Sponsors/manufacturers kinda take the lid off Pandora's box when they start selling DIY kits. That's what started me into looking at shopping the parts from other sources and finding out I could buy the components cheaper elsewhere.

What's nice about Timber Grow Lights is you get all the parts, including the frame, and all the design work has been done for you. They're great for those without knowledge of electronics.

@PurpleGunRack :thumb: thanks. It was a pretty gratifying thing to do. I’ve soldered audio cables, but haven’t done anything electronic since high school (many many years ago :) )

I think what you say there is spot on. I actually reported my own post just to test out what those boundaries were, which was how I confirmed they don’t want the driver labeling either (which seems odd). So yeah, I agree with your take there - I just didn’t want to lose my post so I checked first (like the opposite of asking for forgiveness instead of permission :laugh:)
This is exactly how it happened for me. The kits gots me interested, then I realised I couldn’t afford it... and then I got some helpful DM’s and I was on the path!

What's nice about Timber Grow Lights is you get all the parts, including the frame, and all the design work has been done for you. They're great for those without knowledge of electronics.

That’s true and it’s great if you have income and don’t have the time, skills or interest to DIY.

Thing is right, and I know the posting guidelines say the policy is largely because of the bad practices of dodgy companies - I know, but: surely there’s enough business, in terms of customers to have both manufactured and DIY co-exist happily. I mean, even with all of us DIYing, there’s still plenty of folks who will buy a Timber rig! Hell I know I would. I think they’re stunning - and I tried my best to make mine look as good (a drill press would’ve helped a lot!).

Mine still works - phew! 10 days and counting :)

I mean, even with all of us DIYing, there’s still plenty of folks who will buy a Timber rig! Hell I know I would.
I just did, got delivered this very afternoon! :yahoo: I have a kit from them too still sitting in the box, that I just need to build the frame for. I also have a full diy kit to wire and frame up. I also have 4 GrowAnts and 4 MarsHydro lights. I guess with me there is plenty of room for diversity. :theband:

:passitleft:

I think they are “QB288 V2 using 301B diodes”. I just got super high internet surfing one night a bit ago and a few days later this kit showed up.
Lol

You will love it for sure

Back
Top Bottom