Building A Better Soil: Demonstrations & Discussions Of Organic Soil Recipes

Got a wild question out of the blue. Anybody ever use ground chicory root as a soil amendment? After it has been used as a coffee substitute. Pretty sure it has many micro nutrients but not sure. I just happen to be drinking chicory as a coffee substitute the month.

Chicory/Radicchio/Belgium Endive/Cornflower... Yes it's a bio dynamic accumulator, very similar to Comfrey. So you could mix your spent root grounds as a top dress, steep it again but leave it go for several days until it becomes anaerobic (smells like manure), mix with water @ 1 cup to a gallon water in... put into compost bin/pile.

One of the major contributors from Chicory root is Inulin. That's a sugar... which will get broken down by soil micro organisms and mineralized, becoming available for uptake by plants.

Hey KB... what's your recipe for your coffee/tea??

When people start to use a plant as part of a survival strategy, that's usually a good sign its useful for gardening!

Chicory root has a long history as useful to humans that were/are suffering from malnutrition. Bio accumulators gather up minerals that we need for proper cell growth... humans and plants, so it's a good thing all around.

Next time you're headin down the trail or driving around and you see Cornflowers growing like a weed... Chicory roots are under them. Pull em up like gathering Dandelion roots and clean and dry them. Good coffee/tea when you need a little kick of something healthful. Plants same deal.

Hey KB... what's your recipe for your coffee/tea??

When people start to use a plant as part of a survival strategy, that's usually a good sign its useful for gardening!

. . .

i am on a special diet had to switch to chicory or dandelion tea. it is the 'ultimate candida diet'. i know you will appreciate, it is zero sugar. i am going on week 4 now.
i feel a great deal better. hungry but better.

thank you i figured i needed to do something with it, gonna stick it in my bin.:thanks::thanks:

i am on a special diet had to switch to chicory or dandelion tea. it is the 'ultimate candida diet'. i know you will appreciate, it is zero sugar. i am going on week 4 now.
i feel a great deal better. hungry but better.

thank you i figured i needed to do something with it, gonna stick it in my bin.:thanks::thanks:

Right on... sugar free here as well and don't do any substitutes except Coconut nectar... and only in my coffee.

Organic everything... free range grass fed meats... rarely eat beef.

hungry... over rated bro!! Berries, fruit with yogurt, nuts and dried fruit ... for a snackin.

Tried organic popcorn .... was good but rancid oils not so good ... have to go to making my own. Always looking for healthy munchies... cause I get the EAT THE HOUSE DOWN munchies some daze.

My diet despite my Doc... is high fat high protein no sugar, no wheat. Sugar and wheat now make me feel ill - last night I accidentally ate some dark chocolate with a little sugar... my joints built up fluid over night.. taking me all day to get rid of that shit.

So you're 4 weeks in, :thumb: stay away from sugar 4-ever ... won't be long now and the cravings will be gone.

Toughest part is the cravings. Fruit helps if you're allowed to eat them. Stay away from Banana's they are pretty close to eating sugar... I ONLY eat 1/2 of a banana right before I go swimming laps.. a shit ton of laps. So I burn em off pretty quick.

I just looked at the candida diet, pretty similar to how we eat. We don't label our diet but yeah very similar. We do not use any sugar substitutes.. went thru all that a few years ago... just let it go.

What probiotics are you taking? I give EM-1 to the girls and ladies and me!

Weird that people don't know that we are 90% bacteria. Our gut is extremely important to health ... just like plants, feed the bacteria and the bacteria feed us! I ate a little and I mean very very small piece of chocolate with a small amount of sugar in it.. not going to do that again. Joint pain... swelling... F that shit.

At the end of the day, your diet will help you to healing but its the long road, not the short one. Take the road less traveled... its not cliche.

not sure I explained, I am making the chicory in a french press, using 'community coffee' brand chicory. it aint great. But it will do.

NP - I ASSumed you were making your Chicory mix from scratch. There's some herbs you can add in to improve the flavor... not much experience with it other than visiting New Orleans and having coffee there! Memory foggy... actually memory blank! oopsie.

Right on... sugar free here as well and don't do any substitutes except Coconut nectar... and only in my coffee.

Organic everything... free range grass fed meats... rarely eat beef.

hungry... over rated bro!! Berries, fruit with yogurt, nuts and dried fruit ... for a snackin.

Tried organic popcorn .... was good but rancid oils not so good ... have to go to making my own. Always looking for healthy munchies... cause I get the EAT THE HOUSE DOWN munchies some daze.

My diet despite my Doc... is high fat high protein no sugar, no wheat. Sugar and wheat now make me feel ill - last night I accidentally ate some dark chocolate with a little sugar... my joints built up fluid over night.. taking me all day to get rid of that shit.

So you're 4 weeks in, :thumb: stay away from sugar 4-ever ... won't be long now and the cravings will be gone.

Toughest part is the cravings. Fruit helps if you're allowed to eat them. Stay away from Banana's they are pretty close to eating sugar... I ONLY eat 1/2 of a banana right before I go swimming laps.. a shit ton of laps. So I burn em off pretty quick.

I just looked at the candida diet, pretty similar to how we eat. We don't label our diet but yeah very similar. We do not use any sugar substitutes.. went thru all that a few years ago... just let it go.

What probiotics are you taking? I give EM-1 to the girls and ladies and me!

Weird that people don't know that we are 90% bacteria. Our gut is extremely important to health ... just like plants, feed the bacteria and the bacteria feed us! I ate a little and I mean very very small piece of chocolate with a small amount of sugar in it.. not going to do that again. Joint pain... swelling... F that shit.

At the end of the day, your diet will help you to healing but its the long road, not the short one. Take the road less traveled... its not cliche.

Taking; 'Now' 'probiotics-10' the 50 billion type. supplement are 'native remedies candidate' and nutribiotic grapefruit seed extract on schedule with the books recommendations. It took over 50 years for my gut to get to this point so it takes time to get it back to good.
It is a good book I have read through it 2 times.

Anywho not to hijack the soil discussion. I will post a little story on your 'home thread' bobrown14 : - )

So has anyone used 'real growers recharge'? I happen to have some and was curios on the general opinion.

Taking; 'Now' 'probiotics-10' the 50 billion type. supplement are 'native remedies candidate' and nutribiotic grapefruit seed extract on schedule with the books recommendations. It took over 50 years for my gut to get to this point so it takes time to get it back to good.

Anywho not to hijack the soil discussion. I will post a little story on your 'home thread' bobrown14 : - )

So has anyone used 'real growers recharge'? I happen to have some and was curios on the general opinion.

A good hijack every now and then is a good thing. Thanks for the tips on the probiotics. Just stopping sugar is just the beginning.. we have to work on the flora and fauna in our guts!

On the Recharge.. .yes its good but it's a little pricey but you get a lot of goodies there. I only buy products of this sort that actually list the ingredients WITH the quantities on the label... yeah so you get humic and fulvic acids along with kelp and the mycos.... it's got everything in one container so yes very good product (reading the label) but I have not tried it yet.

I use the BIOAG versions ....

The thing about Mycos... most all of the products you can purchase with mycos in them come from one company and they then get repackaged. So that's why you will see a vast array of pricing. The Company that is making all the mycos is Premier horticulture Inc... that's the same company that brings us ProMix and all those products. The main company has several companies, one if which is Myke's. They started all the mycos stuff a long time ago.. the company founder was a forest scientist and figured out how to make mycos products for the masses... they sell them under lots of brands and also from Myke's brand and Premier horticulture as well.

Re: Building a Better Soil - Demonstrations & Discussions of Organic Soil Recipes

I have been using Real Growers Recharge this grow instead of compost teas, and my plant is 5 weeks into flower and has shown no deficiencies this entire grow. I simply mix 1\2 tsp into a gallon of water and 1 tsp of SLF-100 enzyme every 7 days or so.

Growth has been amazing and buds are developing well. I think this combo can be used effectively in place of compost teas.

I will post photos when I get a chance...

Hey miss Sue! Got a question, I'm running Fox Farms Ocean Forest and Light Warrior at 50/50 mix, I'm wondering if there is anything I can add to that because I may be having a soil deficiency, Thanks!
Here are some pics, the smaller ones are the late bloomers and they are getting hit kinda bad, the larger ones are doing okay, but as you can see, there is something going on, I think...mind you, this is my very first grow. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

IMG_168334.JPG
IMG_168439.JPG
IMG_168235.JPG
IMG_168531.JPG

Hey miss Sue! Got a question, I'm running Fox Farms Ocean Forest and Light Warrior at 50/50 mix, I'm wondering if there is anything I can add to that because I may be having a soil deficiency, Thanks!
Here are some pics, the smaller ones are the late bloomers and they are getting hit kinda bad, the larger ones are doing okay, but as you can see, there is something going on, I think...mind you, this is my very first grow. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Those plants look fine.... time to up-pot to final containers!

Ok great, thank you guys for the help! I'm going to be switching up soil as well to help any soil deficiencies. I shall get to transplanting ASAP!

How will you know your new soil has everything the plants need?? Where I'm going with that ? is the only way to know for sure what your soil is or is not lacking is a soil test.

In the USA you can get that done thru your local county extension service. It's subsidized by your tax dollars! Great time to take advantage of it when you mix a new batch of soil.

How will you know your new soil has everything the plants need?? Where I'm going with that ? is the only way to know for sure what your soil is or is not lacking is a soil test.

In the USA you can get that done thru your local county extension service. It's subsidized by your tax dollars! Great time to take advantage of it when you mix a new batch of soil.

Well, I have been going back and forth with someone else on this forum, he has been helping out through my journal thread, he suggested I try it, it's doing actually pretty well honestly. And about the county extension, I have no idea where to find that, I'll try to find it but I can't guarantee it! Lol

Dear new friends. I'm a total newcomer to this natural living soil thing. Or not completely, I do use the highest quality soil money can buy, but I could probably make an even better one myself. I see our new land has compost. That's a good first step I guess. But from the compost to something I can grow cannabis in - that seems like a long road to go. so i was hoping I would get inspired in this thread :)

In other words - Subbed

Back
Top Bottom