Building A Better Soil: Demonstrations & Discussions Of Organic Soil Recipes

Show-off time! Yesterday I took the tops off some White Widows I have growing in my hugelkulture-inspired beds (discussed a little on pg. 56 of this thread). It was tough choosing one for a "lunker" photo, because there were so many contenders. I settled on this one:

IMG_3976_1_.jpg

It's hard to tell the exact size - maybe next time you can get your beard right up in there against the bud :)

(I end up with beard hairs on my buds all the time :) )

Hey there Fert... on the burnt tips .... it looks like your soil is still hot... are you adding in amendments during the grow or was the soil "cooked" for a few weeks or more before planting??

Reason for the ?? - the amendments you are adding (that dr earth stuff) needs to cook... if you add in to an ongoing grow, what happens is the micro herd start breaking down those amendments. If your roots of the plant are in there while this process takes place.... the roots will also get broken down. That's what it looks like to me when that happens.

Cure is to just let it happen and just water with PH neutral water (I use a RO filter for that) and don't let the pots dry out. These plants once after say the 4th node will drink a lot more water than you think, specially if its dry arid and warm temps. By watering more, that in itself will raise the RH due to the plants respiration process. Just don't over water... it's hard to do once the plants get a bit larger.

Hey there Fert... on the burnt tips .... it looks like your soil is still hot... are you adding in amendments during the grow or was the soil "cooked" for a few weeks or more before planting??

Reason for the ?? - the amendments you are adding (that dr earth stuff) needs to cook... if you add in to an ongoing grow, what happens is the micro herd start breaking down those amendments. If your roots of the plant are in there while this process takes place.... the roots will also get broken down. That's what it looks like to me when that happens.

Cure is to just let it happen and just water with PH neutral water (I use a RO filter for that) and don't let the pots dry out. These plants once after say the 4th node will drink a lot more water than you think, specially if its dry arid and warm temps. By watering more, that in itself will raise the RH due to the plants respiration process. Just don't over water... it's hard to do once the plants get a bit larger.

Yeah I let it cook for a good 4 weeks before I planted in it. The temperatures have been dropping though so I'm not sure that it was really at a good temp through the whole process. Plus the interesting thing is the tips were showing those signs without the amendments at all and just with the EWC, Peatmoss and Perlite mix.

I'm wondering if my input water being slightly above 7 could be the reason?

Hell of a plant there Timmo. Congrats bud!

I know what you mean about beard hairs on bud. Happens all the time to me as well as my beard ending up covered in resin during flower. Smells good though!!!

Hell of a plant there Timmo. Congrats bud!

I know what you mean about beard hairs on bud. Happens all the time to me as well as my beard ending up covered in resin during flower. Smells good though!!!
Never had that problem, couldn't grow a beard if my life depended on it LMAO.

Yeah I let it cook for a good 4 weeks before I planted in it. The temperatures have been dropping though so I'm not sure that it was really at a good temp through the whole process. Plus the interesting thing is the tips were showing those signs without the amendments at all and just with the EWC, Peatmoss and Perlite mix.

I'm wondering if my input water being slightly above 7 could be the reason?

Likely not.. temps during the "cooking" process doesn't matter much, my compost bin works 24/7 all year long even in the winter time with freezing temps. Yes it slows down and the worms "hibernate" but the bacteria are still active.

I don't worry much about plants getting a few yellow leaves down low, it's all part of the deal for me. Leaves that look like the ends are burnt off is usually not an issue unless it continues and plants slow down growing. At this point your plants should be getting larger every day, you should notice the growth.

Water ph @ 7 should be fine... that's neutral. RO water has a PH of 6.5 and what I use. The thing I worry about with water is all the crap thats in there (we have city water) it will kill my plants and why we use RO filters. I found a use for my PPM meter - measure the RO water... anything over 10ppm and its time for filter replacement. I can taste it tho so really no need to test other than verification.

Here's my yellow leaves... I think it's called Acapulco gold! hehehehehe it's the plant in the back (75 days flower) and the green one in the front just went into flower. It's a big yellow plant... 4' wide and 7' tall...

DSC_0005161.JPG

Likely not.. temps during the "cooking" process doesn't matter much, my compost bin works 24/7 all year long even in the winter time with freezing temps. Yes it slows down and the worms "hibernate" but the bacteria are still active.

I don't worry much about plants getting a few yellow leaves down low, it's all part of the deal for me. Leaves that look like the ends are burnt off is usually not an issue unless it continues and plants slow down growing. At this point your plants should be getting larger every day, you should notice the growth.

Water ph @ 7 should be fine... that's neutral. RO water has a PH of 6.5 and what I use. The thing I worry about with water is all the crap thats in there (we have city water) it will kill my plants and why we use RO filters. I found a use for my PPM meter - measure the RO water... anything over 10ppm and its time for filter replacement. I can taste it tho so really no need to test other than verification.

Here's my yellow leaves... I think it's called Acapulco gold! hehehehehe it's the plant in the back (75 days flower) and the green one in the front just went into flower. It's a big yellow plant... 4' wide and 7' tall...

DSC_0005161.JPG

Well, I suppose I should just leave burnt tips lie then. They're growing pretty fast and don't seem to have any other signs of distress aside from those lower leaves yellowing, which I agree I always felt was pretty natural.

This is 7 days growth under a 400w MH (that probably needs replaced).

IMG_20171018_122907.jpg
IMG_20171011_210034.jpg

I'm actually just getting worried about whether I will run out of room in this tent when I flip.

Never had that problem, couldn't grow a beard if my life depended on it LMAO.

I am coming up on a foot long beard, and not cutting or trimming until I am cleared to go back to work. No telling how long the beard will end up. Next stop, ZZ Top cover band.

I am coming up on a foot long beard, and not cutting or trimming until I am cleared to go back to work. No telling how long the beard will end up. Next stop, ZZ Top cover band.

Dude, sign me up, I just got back into guitar and have been wanting to learn those sweet ZZ Top harmonic licks!

Dude, sign me up, I just got back into guitar and have been wanting to learn those sweet ZZ Top harmonic licks!

It was funny, me and Ms Stank went to a Jamey Johnson concert not too long ago and after the concert I had people coming up asking me to take pictures and for autographs.....LOL, guess they thought I looked like Jamey. Now my beard is longer than his though. We are both about the same size.

It was funny, me and Ms Stank went to a Jamey Johnson concert not too long ago and after the concert I had people coming up asking me to take pictures and for autographs.....LOL, guess they thought I looked like Jamey. Now my beard is longer than his though. We are both about the same size.

Lol sounds like he needs to hire you on as a decoy when he wants to make it back to the tour bus faster :p

I don't know what LABS does in soil, but it looks to me like something is making a ton of nitrogen available. I wrecked a bunch of flowering plants this spring, some by planting them beds that had way too much still-hot donkey manure at the bottom, some, I suspect, by watering with compost tea that unleashed a tidal wave of N in some pots. When it started in both the beds and the pots, they all looked just like yours. 5, 3, 1; crazy long, skinny leaves. You've probably already told us, but are you watering with anything but water?

Looks like the plant is trying to go back to VEG... are your lights going off at night? Anytime you see leaves like that its re-veg, its a light issue. The plants look fine other wise. Too much N usually the leaves start to cup down and get darker green and droop a little.

I see good color and everything looks great. check your timer and the light schedule.. then keep an eye out for hermies! yikes.

Definitely light, and why you see leaves coming out where there should be pistols/flowers popping....she got cornfused.

Looks like the plant is trying to go back to VEG... are your lights going off at night? Anytime you see leaves like that its re-veg, its a light issue. The plants look fine other wise. Too much N usually the leaves start to cup down and get darker green and droop a little.

I see good color and everything looks great. check your timer and the light schedule.. then keep an eye out for hermies! yikes.

Definitely light, and why you see leaves coming out where there should be pistols/flowers popping....she got cornfused.

That's what I initially thought too! But it's actually swarming with pistils, I guess it's just hard to tell in the picture because they do look like they could be tiny little leaves. But no it seems to be showing all signs of flower growth, just went down in leaf-finger number.

The timer COULD be off, the little plastic tabs can be kind of hard to line up with the dashes corresponding to the numbers so the only thing I can think is that my lights on at 6:00 to 18:00 is actually set at 6:00 to 17:45 because one of the plastic tabs is off. I'll double check.

The thing with the timer though, is that it's just this ONE particular plant giving me problems. Light leaks... Well, it's in a corner of a tent that would be the most protected from them.

Here's a different shot I took of another branch showing the same symptoms, but you can make out the pistils better.

IMG_20171024_130515.jpg

I don't know what LABS does in soil, but it looks to me like something is making a ton of nitrogen available. I wrecked a bunch of flowering plants this spring, some by planting them beds that had way too much still-hot donkey manure at the bottom, some, I suspect, by watering with compost tea that unleashed a tidal wave of N in some pots. When it started in both the beds and the pots, they all looked just like yours. 5, 3, 1; crazy long, skinny leaves. You've probably already told us, but are you watering with anything but water?

Just the LABS, but I've been putting a little in EVERY watering which is probably too much. But as far as too much N goes, I did use a lot of neem seed meal which I had been concerned about from the get-go.

Also, I believe the general downward sloping appearance of the leaves was due to me having just watered them pretty heavily. Most of the time they're pointed up praying.

Here's a pic of them today

(The plant in question is WAY in that back right corner)
IMG_20171025_173815.jpg

Glad you mentioned about nitrogen and your watering because your leaves looked like they were sloping down and the leaves underneath them look like they had some signs of nitrogen burnt tips.

That was going to be my recommendation. Looks like its revegging. Same leaves I had when I took clones at day 21 in flower. Check your light timer for sure!!

Took some better pics today. Here's one of the timer... Looks all good to me.

IMG_20171026_105836.jpg

Here's a close up of the meristem on the plant that's in trouble.

IMG_20171026_110447.jpg

So far this seems like the only plant that's doing the 1 leaf thing. Here's some more random shots of other plants for asessment. I see a couple of 3-finger leaves but so far none of the others have reduced down to 1.

IMG_20171026_110833.jpg
IMG_20171026_110512.jpg
IMG_20171026_110505.jpg
IMG_20171026_110500.jpg
IMG_20171026_111048.jpg

I'll have to check for light leaks tonight, but I'm just doing that to be thorough, I don't see how one could have developed unless there's like a hole torn in my tent or something.

Could it possibly be related to the way I sexed them? I had a bunch of males in there and flipped to 12/12 and just waited about a week and threw all the plants I didn't see pistils on out, then flipped back to 18/6 for about 3 or 4 weeks. Just flipped them back to 12/12 about a week ago, give or take a couple days. So technically they've been flipped twice.

Back
Top Bottom