Buren's First Hydro Grow: Blue Mystic, 2016

Thanks! I think the girls are doing pretty well too! I just wish I can fast forward time and see how my harvest is already haha!

Time for a quick update again! I see a few more have joined the journey so welcome! :welcome:

Alright so it's only been about 4 days since my last update. Here's a photo of how the girls are right now! Sorry I left the disco lights for these two pics, but I think they look good with the lights on and I figured it's a wide shot not like I'm not using it for diagnosis reasons anyways lol. Second pic is to show how flat my girls are, because the late bloomer in the back!
20170125_181528_resized.jpg
20170125_181505_resized.jpg

So I mishandled and split another stem :/ but now I know how to remedy it and if I learnt anything, it is that the stem will grow back stronger than ever!
20170125_181621_resized.jpg

These next two pic are a close up of the defoliated girls. I think they are reacting well, the late bloomer actually showed a little "speed up" on her growth.
20170125_181716_resized.jpg
20170125_181710_resized.jpg

Lastly, this is the birds-eye-view of my crown jewel. I like how flat I got to keep her.
20170125_181721_resized.jpg

I have a new problem now and that is condensation inside the tent! So I opened up the active intakes a little and will see if that helps balancing temperature.

:thanks:

Hello! It's been a little almost two weeks since my last update, but I've been busy with life so just didn't had a chance to update :/

Anywho, I had two more defoliating session since then and the girls are growing beautifully. Here's a pic of before and after the latest session.

20170207_184705.jpg
20170207_220002.jpg

and here's a picture of a beautiful leaf :)
20170207_185639.jpg

I think I'm about a week or two from switching to flower, can't wait!

Hello friends!

First thank you all for your continued support! It makes the journey much more enjoyable when I can get positive feedback from peers!

Right now I have a problem and would like some input. I am planning to switch to flower tonight :)high-five:) since it's getting close to the half desired height. I did just defoliate again yesterday but they seem to have recovered pretty well today so I will check again later tonight if not I'll wait til tomorrow or something.

Anyways, the problem I have is humidity. Right now humidity is about 55%~93%, way too high for flowering. So I need suggestion on a dehumidifier or one with ac combo. I am hoping the 1-2 week for them to switch to flower will be enough for me to find one. So any suggestion and advice is welcome! I will be cleaning out the reservoir later tonight or tomorrow (before switching).

Hey buren

Sorry I can't help you with the humidity as my issue is always not enough humidity. I'm curious though what the humidity is in your home. I ask because to me it seems no matter what I do to try to get the humidity up in my tent, it stays at the exact level as my home. I would assume because the exhaust fan is moving so much air in and out of the tent.
I'm curious how others control this issue.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using 420 Magazine Mobile App

You could try the Eva Dry mini dehumidifier. I use one and it keeps the humidity pretty steady. Sometimes it gets kinda high but over all its not bad. Pretty cheap too I got mine on Amazon for like 80$

CannaBomb62000000

Thanks for the suggestion! I just bought two so I can rotate them while one recharges :)

Hey buren

Sorry I can't help you with the humidity as my issue is always not enough humidity. I'm curious though what the humidity is in your home. I ask because to me it seems no matter what I do to try to get the humidity up in my tent, it stays at the exact level as my home. I would assume because the exhaust fan is moving so much air in and out of the tent.
I'm curious how others control this issue.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Hey Mittin! I have the same problem as you with the RH in my home being very low (I live in MA and have hot water radiators, which dry out the air completely). To get my RH higher than the rest of my house, I keep a big bowl of water in the bottom of my tent. I put a hand towel half in the water and the other half just laying on the tent floor to wick water out. I also have a small clip-on fan attached at the bottom of the tent blowing directly on the bowl of water, which helps to evaporate water into the air. That keeps my RH at 55-60%, as long as I keep the bowl filled.

Hey Mittin! I have the same problem as you with the RH in my home being very low (I live in MA and have hot water radiators, which dry out the air completely). To get my RH higher than the rest of my house, I keep a big bowl of water in the bottom of my tent. I put a hand towel half in the water and the other half just laying on the tent floor to wick water out. I also have a small clip-on fan attached at the bottom of the tent blowing directly on the bowl of water, which helps to evaporate water into the air. That keeps my RH at 55-60%, as long as I keep the bowl filled.

Hey Tim,

Thanks for your suggestions. I have tried a water bowl, and also a soaked towel, but they didn't help much. I'll try exactly what you suggest and hopefully that will help a bit.

Thanks!

Hey Tim,

Thanks for your suggestions. I have tried a water bowl, and also a soaked towel, but they didn't help much. I'll try exactly what you suggest and hopefully that will help a bit.

Thanks!

Hey Mittin,

I don't know if you found a fix for your low RH yet, but I would be happy to give you some of mine lol.

Anyways, you should invest in a humidifier or swamp cooler if your area is dry majority of the year (i know... spending money ugh).

Or try a heat mat with the water bucket, you need heat to evaporate the water to increase humidity.

Another option is restrict your air exchange. Plants transpire a lot and by restricting air exchange you can keep the humidity in. My fans are temperature controlled so during dark period they're rarely on, which is when humidity spikes. I am investing in dehumidifier so I can keep the fans off longer, and save on water "a little".

Hey Mittin,

I don't know if you found a fix for your low RH yet, but I would be happy to give you some of mine lol.

Anyways, you should invest in a humidifier or swamp cooler if your area is dry majority of the year (i know... spending money ugh).

Or try a heat mat with the water bucket, you need heat to evaporate the water to increase humidity.

Another option is restrict your air exchange. Plants transpire a lot and by restricting air exchange you can keep the humidity in. My fans are temperature controlled so during dark period they're rarely on, which is when humidity spikes. I am investing in dehumidifier so I can keep the fans off longer, and save on water "a little".

Thanks buren,

I've pretty much tried everything. Had a small humidifier going and tried to restrict the air flow, but that didn't help either. It only made my exhaust fan louder...lol.
I don't think I can do anything about it right now. I think if I would get LED lighting, then I could use a less aggressive exhaust fan which would be the key. LEDs are on my list, as I will have heat issues when the weather starts turning warmer.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I appreciate it!

Oh, would you be interested in some Mars600 leds? I have two extra that I was planning to use for a veg tent but I think I might skip on that.

Hello!

First off, sorry Mittens but I ended up selling the lights to someone who picked up local.

Second, sorry I disappeared! I've never been good at writing stuff and work got busy for me :/

But I like to finish what I started so let's get you all updated!

My girls are actually close to harvest and I'm excited and not at the same time. I am not looking forward to the hours of trimming and cleaning up :/

Over this grow, I've learned that it is really easy to grow! I look forward to more grows but I think I'll skip on growing indoor over summer. I'm hoping one day I'll move into a house and grow outdoor :)

The one thing I'll do better is control the growth. I didn't move the lights slow enough so the buds are spaced too far apart. Also I let too many "heads" grow out I think which lead to small buds again.

Other than that, I can't complain much for my first grow. I think I'm over my head for storing over 20 seeds when I'm only growing over winter and 4 at a time haha.

And as I said, not much of a writer... but a picture is worth a thousand words right?!

20170327_214843.jpg
20170327_214847.jpg
20170327_214904.jpg

BONUS!

I just got my usb camera/microscope today and man, I enjoy not having to squint my eyes to look at trichomes through the jewelry loupe anymore. The only hard part is finding a way to stabilize the camera but that wasn't hard with some ingenuity haha.

Looks like most if not all trichs are at least cloudy, and I don't think I see any amber yet. I know harvesting when all trichs are cloudy gives the highest THC, and more amber trichs give more sedative attribute. I don't know what I want exactly so something in between will be good I think... Do you think I should start flushing now or waiting a little more?

WIN_20170404_22_23_04_Pro.jpg
WIN_20170404_22_24_19_Pro.jpg
WIN_20170404_22_23_44_Pro.jpg
WIN_20170404_22_22_41_Pro.jpg

Back
Top Bottom