Burned sugar leaves, should I harvest now? Indoors, W10

But when i chopped a cola i saw this :(
IMG_20220710_200913.jpg

3 fans inside, 1 ventilation fan ,Rh not more than 50% most of the days of last month and temp is 30c at least,what can i say/
I throw away some very bad parts but man,what a turn down, i was waiting for this day .
ps i am sorry for double post

edit it is not like slime,buds are rock solid, crispy leaves dont come when i pull them,no ammonia smell but looks bad..
so what should i do now?throw away some rock solid buds?:(

But when i chopped a cola i saw this :(
IMG_20220710_200913.jpg

3 fans inside, 1 ventilation fan ,Rh not more than 50% most of the days of last month and temp is 30c at least,what can i say/
I throw away some very bad parts but man,what a turn down, i was waiting for this day .
ps i am sorry for double post

edit it is not like slime,buds are rock solid, crispy leaves dont come when i pull them,no ammonia smell but looks bad..
so what should i do now?throw away some rock solid buds?:(
Nickmetal, mine were much worse than what I see here. You haven't lost your whole crop. The rot is most probably localized. Even in my case, it was localized.

It's happened once to me, before this time. All I did, both times, was to cut out the rot, and then proceed to dry and cure as usual.

Worse case scenario, you could make an extraction. I usually use 190 proof alcohol. It will kill the mold.

Nickmetal, mine were much worse than what I see here. You haven't lost your whole crop. The rot is most probably localized. Even in my case, it was localized.

It's happened once to me, before this time. All I did, both times, was to cut out the rot, and then proceed to dry and cure as usual.

Worse case scenario, you could make an extraction. I usually use 190 proof alcohol. It will kill the mold.
Cut out the moldy areas and discard!!! Be careful using moldy weed for anything. If you're sure the mold is Botrytis that might be OK, but many molds produce aflatoxin (Botrytis does not), which is not rendered harmless by alcohol and only partially detoxified by heat. Aflatoxins are a class of toxins produced by some molds, they are highly carcinogenic!!

So @eggzin it is mold/rot/something bad,correct?I threw away those two parts since was the worst i saw.
Should i trim the rest and give it a try to dry ?They are drying now anyway :(
I hear you can get very sick from smoking moldy weed, though, as far as I know, I've never smoked any. It causes a lung problem.

If I were you, and I just finished drying and bottling, I would dry as usual. I used an air conditioner in my small room, set at 65* and a dehumidifier set at 60-65%. I used a couple of small fans to keep air moving in the room. I dryed for 7 days.

It's now been in bottles for the last week or so, hanging right around 61% RH, and I'm burping daily and checking the smell each time and I detect no foul odor. It actually smells great. I'll stay aware that I had mold issues as I process and smoke, just to be safe.

Cut out the moldy areas and discard!!! Be careful using moldy weed for anything. If you're sure the mold is Botrytis that might be OK, but many molds produce aflatoxin (Botrytis does not), which is not rendered harmless by alcohol and only partially detoxified by heat. Aflatoxins are a class of toxins produced by some molds, they are highly carcinogenic!!
As I wrote that, I suspected I might be corrected. Thank you very much for this information!

Mine was grey mold which I think is Botrytis. Thank you for the correction.

As I wrote that, I suspected I might be corrected. Thank you very much for this information!

Mine was grey mold which I think is Botrytis. Thank you for the correction.
Probably was botrytis, but lots of molds are grey at some point in their life cycle, and identifying which is which is is a job best left to experts, kinda like collecting wild mushrooms. I have a botany degree, and took several mycology classes, but I still don't trust myself enough to gather most wild mushrooms, some are easy to identify, but with others the consequences of a mistake are are waaay too high!

Hello.
An update,i decided to throw away ~400gr of wet flowers,it smelled bad,like earth ,i saw some webs in the top parts of a cola so
i disposed it.
I kept some minor flowers from the lower parts of the plant.
Dead sugar leaves created hot spots everywhere.Today i shall uproot the other one even thou it is not in the trichrome state i would like, probably it is infected as well.
Her fat buds did not help the situation either,untill next time in a proper tent this time and with more knowledge .
Thank you all for your time !!
IMG_20220710_184523.jpg

What is your opinion about my plant?
Do you consider it dangerous/should i discard it?
Your opinion matters,thanks!
Have you considered a four step "Bud Washing" with the first step being a wash in a mixture of Hydrogen Peroxide and water? Then a wash in a mixture of water, baking soda and lemon juice for step two. Steps three and four are basic rinses in plain water.

I just wanted to chip in here, just to make sure bud rot is not the issue.

I harvested this plant 2 weeks ago. Fuzzy Duck helped me out at that time with, what I thought was a copper deficiency, appearing on the fan leaves. It turned out that this wasn't the only issue.

Toward the end of this grow, I started to notice some upper sugar leaves starting to die back on one cola. Thought it was just end stage leaf color change. It continued, and that one cola, near the top, started to brown and get crispy. At that point I thought it was light burn and moved the light up. It was decidedly not light burn.

Pretty soon the top of that cola was just dead. Here's what it looked like:

Bud Rot Close.jpg

Sometime after my conversation with Fuzzy, I thought I had nothing to loose, and I cut the dead part of the cola off. Lo and be-fricking-hold, right at the junction of the brown and green parts was massive rotting and grey mold! The nutrients hadn't been able to get to the top of the cola, which caused it to die. I'd had plenty of air circulation, but during flowering, I had a hard time getting the humidity to go lower than 65 to 70% RH. I harvested immediately.

At harvest, I found 2 other colas were similarly infected, though not as bad. I was able to save most of the harvest by cutting out the rot. Here's a shot of the whole plant with the bad cola marked. In this picture, the farthest cola to the right and left were the two other bad colas:

Bud Rot Cola.jpg

So, I just tell this story as a suggestion to Nickmetal to check for bud rot. Maybe he should dig in a little to expose some stem right at the junction of where the leaves are beginning to brown and where they remain green. Check for mold. It can't hurt.

BTW, this is a one plant hydro set-up.

In spite of the rot, I got just over 14 ozs. of bud, no stem, no rot, out of this one plant. :laughtwo:

Oh this was a while ago & I try to help in FAQ section of forums where ol fuzzy cares to paddle on the pond, so to speak.

Now in the detective part of the work questions need to be asked to help solve the problem to which we may of missed RH aka relative humidity.

So why is this important ?

Well you most likely check RH when the lights are On.... lights Off the RH can spike to dangerous levels if you are not aware of lights Off RH, bud rot can set in on your prized herb !

So if RH is an issue during lights Off a dehumidifier is a good solution.... oh you can check RH of lights Off as soon as the lights come on or use a green light source with out any other light source effect the grow.

After all bud rot can get the best of us ;)

You probably had a drought period where your leaves didn't recover afterwards and it's not budrot.
But if it is... I wouldn't recommend a bud wash on moldy weed -
You'll just spread spores deep inside the buds and the increased moisture while hanging isn't a bonus.
Been there, wasted an entire plant doing it whereas had I not washed - I would've at least had something.

Hello,tonight i harvested my second plant,it was ok.(big bud strain)
Sadly i had to butcher most buds to check inside but at least i scored 1 of 2 :)
It had some yellow leaves inside the buds as well but at early stage,they did not die
completely.
My logic tells me that if i had left it more days to get a nice amber look it would have the same fate.
ps dried only 2 days only in a paper box the remains of mrs Haze make me very stoned
cheers to all :thumb:

Well you most likely check RH when the lights are On.... lights Off the RH can spike to dangerous levels if you are not aware of lights Off RH, bud rot can set in on your prized herb !

Yes, when temperature drops (as it generally does during the dark period), the RH number will increase if the exhaust fan is not allowed to continue to run. You can even get condensation that way, if there's enough moisture in the air to begin with and/or the temperature falls enough.

Either way, you'll almost always have localized higher humidity inside your buds. Plants transpire moisture via the stomata (tiny closeable pore-like structures) on their leaves - and that includes the small leaves that many refer to as "sugar leaves." This is how plants self-cool, by releasing moisture which then evaporates (unless the relative humidity is already very high), much like the sweating process cools us.

You can sometimes observe this in nature (with any leafed plant), when multiple leaves are in contact. When you separate them and notice that one or more surfaces of the leaves that were on the interior of the "leaf sandwich" are damp. It's not really something you can stop, merely be aware of and deal with. Much the same can be said about fungus spores (molds are fungi) - they're pretty much everywhere. If you provide a great environment for mold, it's going to grow.

Have you considered a four step "Bud Washing" with the first step being a wash in a mixture of Hydrogen Peroxide and water? Then a wash in a mixture of water, baking soda and lemon juice for step two. Steps three and four are basic rinses in plain water.

I'd separate the lemon juice and baking soda into two steps, but that's (apparently) just me. Regardless, yes, definitely rinse those buds - there are likely to be spores on all of them, at this point. Possibly even very small/minor growths here and there that you cannot easily observe.

Keep in mind what Phytoplankton wrote: aflatoxins cannot be washed off or deactivated, and can be extremely toxic. As in multiple organ destruction. Cooks have died from sniffing the steam from cooking poisonous mushrooms. Please don't risk your health for some buds. Sorry to be a concern troll, but this shit's no joke. Also sorry to see all your efforts end up this way, those were beatiful buds.

Back
Top Bottom