CaptainFrost - Deep Purple Kush - Supersoil - SCROG - 250W CFL & HPS - Indoor #1

CaptainFrost

1st Grow - Indoor

Hi everyone! :welcome:
This is my first ever grow/journal and I thought it would be a damn good idea to document it.

I would first like to establish that although I've done my research, I'm still a novice so please leave positive or negative criticism so that I can further develop my growing techniques :)

The Setup

Strain: 2x DPK (Deep Purple x Reserva Privada OG 18)
Medium: 50% Subcool's Supersoil + 50% Potting Mix [50% Roots Organics Soil + 16.6% EWC + 16.6% Perlite + 16.6% Sphagnum Peat Moss]
Pot Size: 3-5 Gallon [Still deciding which one to use]
Lighting: Veg - 18/6 [250w CFL] + Flower - 12/12 [250w HPS]
Grow Space: Secret Jardin DR90 II [3x3x6] *Currently I just got a "grow box" haha but the tent is coming 10/9/14*
Fan and Filter: 200 CFM No Brand Fan + CAN33 Filter
Air Circulation: 3x 12v PC Fans w/ a Speed Controller
Hygrometer: Avg. Room Temp/Humidity [72-80 Fahrenheit/51%]

*SCROG Net Will Be Installed Within a Few Weeks*
*Since i'm using supersoil I'm not using at nutrients. I may use some bud candy during flower sometime but not 100% sure*
*Planning to Veg for about 6 Weeks and Flower for 8. Give or take.*

That's all I can think of right now if you want specification or more info on what I got goin on, let me know below!

Photos

*Both plants are receiving NO nutrients, just plain tap water [didn't check the pH but plants are doing fine].*

Bigger one is DPK Pheno #1 [2 Weeks 2 Days]. The smaller plant is DPK #2 [~Week]:
IMG_098521.JPG
IMG_098723.JPG
IMG_098825.JPG
IMG_098922.JPG
IMG_099218.JPG
IMG_099420.JPG
IMG_099621.JPG

250w CFL Bulb 6500k:
IMG_099820.JPG

Hygrometer Readings:
IMG_100013.JPG

Red Stem [Deficiency]:
IMG_098619.JPG

Constant Wind To Stress and Thicken the Stem:
IMG_099719.JPG

Just like to thank anyone who checked this thread out! :thanks:

Again, I encourage anyone to give me some criticism with what I'm doing right now! I would be very helpful!

Anyways, i'll update again with some more photos in a couple days. :peace:

Re: CaptainFrost | Deep Purple Kush | Supersoil w/ SCROG | 250w CFL + HPS | Indoor #1

Looks good so far buddy! I'm subbed and along for the ride my friend. Have a look at my current grow ;) you'll be drooling lol

Re: CaptainFrost | Deep Purple Kush | Supersoil w/ SCROG | 250w CFL + HPS | Indoor #1

Are you going to be giving them nutrients at all? Or just leaving it to the soil?

Good plan ;) I did a ton of soil grows before I upgraded to coco. Had to build up to it I guess.

I just let my run off evaporate, the humidity in the room is at a constant 30%. It dries up quick.

I just let my run off evaporate, the humidity in the room is at a constant 30%. It dries up quick.
Looking great wish I could control my temps to the 70's its just a bit too hot in LA. but its definitely cooling down. But my plants seem to do pretty well in the 80-92 F heat. Must be the high airflow giving a good amount of CO2.

Looking good so far. Don't worry on the red stems its normal especially on the top fan leaves. its not a deficiency. (just from my experience). One thing I did notice is that half of one of the leaves is a different shade? You may wanna keep an eye on that

how the hell do you sub on a comp?

Looking great wish I could control my temps to the 70's its just a bit too hot in LA. but its definitely cooling down. But my plants seem to do pretty well in the 80-92 F heat. Must be the high airflow giving a good amount of CO2.

Looking good so far. Don't worry on the red stems its normal especially on the top fan leaves. its not a deficiency. (just from my experience). One thing I did notice is that half of one of the leaves is a different shade? You may wanna keep an eye on that

how the hell do you sub on a comp?

You sub by commenting ;)

and my grow is in the valley. Same area pretty much :)

@BrokeSmokes Thanks for coming along!

and for the red stems I think it's apart of the strain's genetics so i'm not too worried about it
Oh also the half shaded leaf.. I have no clue what's wrong with it and it's pissin me off haha. It may be some kind of deficiency but I don't know for sure. It's not just one leaf actually it's multiple leaves, I'll post a close up picture so you guys can see it better. It's kinda white and blotchy.

I just wish one other plant was up to speed with #1 so that I can compare :(

Subbed up,
Sweet, forget about bottled nutes, you don't need a single one!
+reps

Yeah, red stems petioles are common with some genetics, others not. I wouldn't worry about it. All ya gotta do is not over or under water and apply a tea in veg, tea at the beginning of flower and watch the magic happen.

UPDATE 10-8-2014

1. My Secret Jardin DR90 II tent just came in and is all setup.
I've noticed that the room is about 3-5 degrees fahrenheit warmer but overall, it's great! I won't need to worry about space at all, especially since i've only got 2 plants and will be using the SCROG net method.

2. DPK Pheno #1 has been topped

3. Pesky little fuckers called fungus gnats.. :( For about 2 weeks there were no signs of gnats but today when I checked, I killed two gnats and i'm pretty sure there are a bunch of larvae still in the soil.
Can someone PLEASE HELP me with this issue. I don't want these critters lurking in my room, especially my smaller plant as it will most likely damage it's roots. I'm gonna get myself some neem oil but I don't think those work to well alone after reading about it online.

*I need a fungus gnat remedy that is 100% organic and will not kill any beneficial microbes in the soil*

Again, thanks if you checked out this thread. :peace:

Photos:

Close up of the half colored leaf:
IMG_100826.JPG

Topped:
IMG_100125.JPG
IMG_100223.JPG
IMG_100324.JPG

Secret Jardin DR90 Tent [Not 100% Lightproof but my plants are inside a tent which is inside a closet w/ a door so it should be fine]:
IMG_100519.JPG

IMG_101527.JPG

IMG_101724.JPG

IMG_101232.JPG

IMG_100626.JPG

DPK Pheno #2 Growth [4 Serrated leaves LOL]:
IMG_101333.JPG

Exhaust atm because I don't feel it's necessary to use my 200 CFM fan Exhaust right now:
IMG_101022.JPG
IMG_101118.JPG

They look really good. Don't worry about that one fan leaf, the new growth is fine. :goodjob:

@Sphnx yeah I think the problem has to do something with the tap water i'm giving it, maybe some sort of chlorine or pH. Buying distilled water isn't my top priority though haha i'm just gonna let the tap water sit in a bucket for +24 hours then use it

@COorganics thanks for joining me on my journey!! Lol do you have any grows I could check out? Just by your name i'm interested haha

That's exactly what it is. I've seen it on my plants before when I was only using tap. Chlorine is a beast.

Make sure the water sits in a dark closet. Leaving it in the light changes the pH and slightly turns the water.

What you need my friend is an organic IPM routine. Integrated pest management. Me and a couple others are working ours out as we speak coincidentally.

Long story short, for gnats, you wanna have an equal parts mixture of crab/neem/kelp and top dress with that. There are compounds in neem and kelp that inhibit growth and my understanding is they keep the larvae from feeding and the cycle is broken, gnats are not an issue any more. The crab meal has chitin which gets converted by the plants to chitinase (sp?) which does same thing. After top dressing with this mixture cover with and inch of worm castings and that's it. Worked like a charm for me and for anyone else who's tried it.

Anyway enough with my weaker explanations, here it is from source.
Don't just do what I did and address the gnats (which what I told you does quick work of), get into a rhythm of doing the other things those gentlemen on the show discuss.

Back
Top Bottom