Northern Lights - 250W CFL - 600W Grolux

redeyestaylor

hey everyone im new to the forum so i just thought id post my latest journal if anyones interested.

ok well im pretty restricted on space so i had to try out a growtent (1m x 1m x 2m) heres what other kit im planning on using:

vital earth organic seedling compost
plant magic soil and perlite
120w greenhouse tube heater
250w cfl (envirolight)
600w growlux (dual spec)
tt extractor fan + clip on moving fan
(5 fem nl seeds) pre soaked and put straight in moist soil + heated propogator.

Re: northern lights.....250w cfl/600w grolux

ok so 2 later after i had 5 little seedlings :) which went straight under the 250w cfl bulb and in my heated propagator.

IMG_013510.JPG
IMG_013416.JPG

Re: northern lights - 250w cfl/600w grolux

They look fine. It's better to let them stretch a little than get burned by the lamp. Hold your hand under the lamp at the distance you would like to place your plants. If you can't feel any heat on your hand, that is a safe distance. If it feels hot, then that is too close.

You can also try moving the lights a bit closer each day and see how the seedlings react. They can't get too much light, but you definitely don't want to overheat them.

Keep posting pics and the traffic will pick up!

Hi ggrant thanks for the advice, ive moved the light up to 6 inches now (better to be safe than sorry)

Quick question, a few of the plants have a very slight yellowing/ stain patchy pattern on some of the leaves? Il post pics in a min but any ideas what it could be? Idont think its heat burn because doesnt look like like it ( from looking around pics). Im thinking it could be either caused by my mini fan blowing directly onto plants or something to do with the water im using? I notice that when i have a shower it leaves a white powdery residue ( maybe hard water)?? Any advice would be great, i am really worried it could get worse.

ive been doing a bit of research and i think it is due to me living in hard water area (even though i do leave the water 24hrs before using) i think its the beginning of foliage chlorosis (build up of hard water minerals/chemicals) im thinking of switching to bottled water from now on, has anyone else had this problem in hard water area? thanks for any advice btw

im experimenting with plant magic oltimer organics nutrients range beginning next week,
old timer grow
plant magic catalyst
plant magic root stimulant
plant magic bio silicon ( not organic)
organic seaweed extract (for misting)
half doeses of course until they show signs of a NEED, hopefully they start rapid growth soon. will update next weekend with progress, keep gardening :)

Quick question how do i control a more regular temps in my tent? Ive got a tt extractor fan and a 10 inch clip on fan but hot weather and heat from the light is pushing temps up to 35.c do i need a bigger fan? Or a stronger extractor?

Sorry to say an easy answer may not be possible. To be of any real help I need to know all about your system.

Fan size and type and CFM rating
Light wattage and type of hood if any
size of tent
ambient temps outside of tent

Give me as much detail as you can, and pictures help a lot.

The single most significant thing one can do is separate the light with its own exhaust system to cool it. Never letting the heat into the grow room in the first place. I will more than likely do so in mine this summer, even though I have A/C as well. Why add the heat load and pay to cool it?

Ok my tent is 1m x 1m x 2m
I have a tt fan that supposedly pulls 180 cfm mounted at the top of room.
A 10 inch clip on fan sat on the floor blowing directly up at bulb.
A sun king 80cm parabolic reflector with a 400w mh bulb vertical mounted.
Room temp outside tent is 24.c with good airflow .
Temp range has been 32 to 37 since i started using the mh bulb. Il post a pic so u can visualise it better, so you use a cool tube light? I only went for a parabolic hood because of light spread. Thanks again smokzalot for the advice :)

IMG_015818.JPG
IMG_015514.JPG

I doubt that your tt fan is big enough. You also need to have at least an equal size intake down low on the side wall. I may suggest this working with what you have... remove the fan blowing up at the light. Instead use a fan on the intake. Draw, push or pull air into the tent. Continue to draw the heated air from the top as you are. The fan blowing at the light is only spreading it about before the fan can exhaust it. You want to get a flow of air thru the tent. The leaves will move about at that point.

Are there any vent holes in the top of the reflector?

Back
Top Bottom