Celt’s 2020 Grows

Thanks muchly Gnome, I started this journal more to share my grows with those interested and pass on my experiences and knowledge.

RC

I'm still fresh to this forum, but boy is it a great community with likeminded people that love to share wisdom. Will be very interesting to see what the Blue Dream seeds will produce, and following along with the GA3 process for the Pineapple Chunk. Question: Did you spray the whole plant, or just a few tops? I didn't see any marked branches or tops, but the photo was from above, so hard to tell.

I have this excellent Gorilla Glue that I'd love to gather some pollen from in the future. Will be taking a few clones in the near future, have been looking closer into using colloidal silver... but this might be another option to consider for producing pollen.

Btw: Found this little interesting bit of info regarding GA3 and the uses with seeds:
GA-3 should only be used on seeds that are semi-difficult and difficult to germinate.
On seeds that grow easy (such as tomato and chilli) the effect may instead be that the plant grows to death.

Edit: Had to change a few words, the translation got a bit wacky at first..

So, it really packs a punch when used together with seeds, killing it by rapid growth :)

Thanks again!

@GardeningGnome ,

Using GA3, you just spray the tops you want to produce “nuts”, the rest of the plant will continue to produce female flowers and will grow seed. That’s why I am able to use a single plant for this process.

If you look at this photo

5BD129B9-A94B-4EAF-9C65-67F12539E1FB.jpeg

You will see 3 paler green tops on the right, front and back corners, and 2 on the left, corners also. These were the treated limbs and were low down on the plant. I chose these limbs as previous experience told me that any top treated would stretch twice as much as those not treated. Choosing lower limbs meant that after the stretch, meant they should stretch enough to be taller than the untreated tops but not by much.

RC

@GardeningGnome ,

Using GA3, you just spray the tops you want to produce “nuts”, the rest of the plant will continue to produce female flowers and will grow seed. That’s why I am able to use a single plant for this process.

If you look at this photo

5BD129B9-A94B-4EAF-9C65-67F12539E1FB.jpeg

You will see 3 paler green tops on the right, front and back corners, and 2 on the left, corners also. These were the treated limbs and were low down on the plant. I chose these limbs as previous experience told me that any top treated would stretch twice as much as those not treated. Choosing lower limbs meant that after the stretch, meant they should stretch enough to be taller than the untreated tops but not by much.

RC

Boom! Nice for the details, thanks a million. And, yeah, clever idea to use one plant for the whole process!!

Within 2 wks, you should start to see pollen sacs form and they will continue to form on the sprayed tops throughout flowering. You will also have female flowers and seeds develop on those tops, but the sacs will only form on the tops sprayed.

just spray the tops you want to produce “nuts”,

Did you need to distribute/collect the pollen from the sprayed tops in any way?
I'm thinking of doing this with two plants at the same time, self-pollinating and hopefully crossing them as well. This would utilize my grow space at the max.

Couple of times I took a Q-tip and used pollen that was spilled on a leaf to pollinate a few bud, but for the most part, I left the air do the work. In that tent I use a DIY 400 w LED that is ducted to my 4” fan for cooling.

Unlike most, I use a down draft setup for ventilation even in the big tent where I have CMH lights.

There are a number of reasons I use down draft:

My basement stays about the mid 50s temperature year round so I pull cooler air in the top and exhaust out the bottom, helps cool my lights, both LED which require cooling and cools my CMH. It also keeps my big tent about 80 year round, just requires the fan at full speed in the warmer weather when the basement can rise 10 degrees some days.

If there are any mold spores (there always are, they are in the air all over the world except for the most arid climates) it keeps them low in the tent, much like a downdraft paint booth prevents overspray.

And in my seed tent, there are 4 vents in the light pointing to the corners. This creates a turbulence that moves the pollen around and down through the canopy and out the bottom, as the pollen sacs are generally on the tallest tops.

Those are my main reasons for a downdraft system.

Now that my seed tent is in the basement, I will have to put a HEPA filter on the exhaust vent so no pollen makes it’s way to the other tent even though it’s in a different room.

Hope this makes sense lol

Couple of times I took a Q-tip and used pollen that was spilled on a leaf to pollinate a few bud, but for the most part, I left the air do the work.
Sounds logical, thanks.

There are a number of reasons I use down draft
Soo perfect! Have myself gotten three fans for my bloom-tent this week, and experimenting with the optimal solution. At the moment there is also a small air-system standing inside (with a weaker carbon filter) that is distributing/circling the air at floor level. Next week I'll get a refurbish my bigger carbon-filter and get a stronger fan/ventilation to it. It will not be piped out directly, instead forcing down the air, circulating it and giving the carbon-filter several changes to clean the "aroma.
I have tested down-draft today, and with interesting result. Specially since I'm using LED's, it creates heat differently than HPS, and inturn creates different heat-zones.

Very much sense, thank you sir!!

Couple of times I took a Q-tip and used pollen that was spilled on a leaf to pollinate a few bud, but for the most part, I left the air do the work. In that tent I use a DIY 400 w LED that is ducted to my 4” fan for cooling.

Unlike most, I use a down draft setup for ventilation even in the big tent where I have CMH lights.

There are a number of reasons I use down draft:

My basement stays about the mid 50s temperature year round so I pull cooler air in the top and exhaust out the bottom, helps cool my lights, both LED which require cooling and cools my CMH. It also keeps my big tent about 80 year round, just requires the fan at full speed in the warmer weather when the basement can rise 10 degrees some days.

If there are any mold spores (there always are, they are in the air all over the world except for the most arid climates) it keeps them low in the tent, much like a downdraft paint booth prevents overspray.

And in my seed tent, there are 4 vents in the light pointing to the corners. This creates a turbulence that moves the pollen around and down through the canopy and out the bottom, as the pollen sacs are generally on the tallest tops.

Those are my main reasons for a downdraft system.

Now that my seed tent is in the basement, I will have to put a HEPA filter on the exhaust vent so no pollen makes it’s way to the other tent even though it’s in a different room.

Lots of great info here! :yummy:

@Fredwak ,

I learned a lot from others when I came here 5 or 6 yrs ago, and made some good friends.

Since recently returning to the site, I felt I should pay-it-forward, especially as it’s in my nature (and current job description) to be a mentor.

:high-five:
Wish everyone had a pay-it-forward attitude!

Puttering around here this morning, doing some reading, drinking coffee and planning my day, I realized it was near 9 so decided it was time for a shower and get this day under way.

When I finished showering and came out to the kitchen, one of my favourite smells hit me.

9am the lights come on in the seed tent, and the smell of fresh flowering cannabis was wafting up from the basement. That smell alone is enough to motivate me into action.:morenutes::morenutes:

Ok, as motivation struck, time for a quick update on plants and plans going forward, then back to drywall and painting lol

First up, the seed tent with the PC momma/daddy

36B71486-BC60-42AC-8B2B-622A8253285B.jpeg

5EA344A8-DF72-4792-9121-D55990B6F594.jpeg

As the pictures show, the treated tops way out stretch the untreated, just like they were on steroids and will continue to do so although at a slower pace now.

Now that the major stretch is over, I have turned the light up to 430w, the max I will drive it. This gives us about 26500 Lux. With conversion to PPFD, we get 464 PPFD and a DLI of 20. This is actually low for what I would like in flower but we can increase the DLI (more important than PPFD) by now increasing the day length, quite safe after the initial 2 weeks of 12/12.

By increasing the day length to 14hrs, the DLI goes up to 23.4, still not optimal but will grow nice bud, or in this case seed.

As the plants flower, and get closer to the light, those numbers will near double, giving us more usable light than most outdoor grown plants receive in sept/oct here in North America.

I know many will have no idea where I got these numbers, and may not even know what some of them mean, have no fear, in the near future, I will give a full rundown of how to determine what your plants are receiving for light. And you don’t need an expensive Quantum meter to measure it, a cheap simple light meter that goes to a minimum of 100k Lux will work just fine. My light meter on my multimeter only goes to 40000 Lux, so I bought a cheapie on Amazon for $25 that goes to 200000 Lux, doubtful I will ever max it out.

Next up, the 20 Blue Dream girls.

9A616A2B-C9C4-48CF-A325-F0A4CA30BA98.jpeg

These girls are near ready to be potted up but are going to be in these pots for, hopefully, not over a week more. Aside from finding time to finish building the new pots, the soil still needs about a week to cook, as well as , the parts for the auto watering system are still lost at sea somewhere. Damn slow boat from China. Parts are cheap from China, but don’t expect timely delivery.

Speaking of pots, I had been saying I was using 14g pots, that had been my plan, but had decided to shorten them by 3” (75mm) making them about 11.5gallon. Every inch counts in tent grows lol.

4868C5EA-6EA1-4AF4-AFF4-505F84B65016.jpeg

And lastly, the soil.

Last time I posted the temps, it’s above somewhere, I believe they were in the 40s C 110s F. Since then I put a temp probe in the centre so I wouldn’t have to keep turning it, something I avoid while it’s cooking hot.

For the past week, the internal temps have held about 38 C (100 F). The micro herd were feasting like Romans. Yesterday the temp had dropped about 10 degrees C and this morning we are at :

6B43244E-9378-46AF-8FDB-9E016603D210.jpeg

That’s about 70 F.

The feast is nearing its end and the soil will be ready to use in a few days. Once the temperature holds stable at ambient temperature, the gluttonous feast is over, some of the micro herd have died and gave up their lives to make nutrients available to our plants, others have gone for a nap and will wake and feed more as needed by the soil, yet others just continue munching away.

Point to remember, once established, the micro herd is always there, feeding, crapping, sleeping and dying, all the while feeding your plants. No need for additional nutrients, and many commercial fertilizers will actually kill off your micro herd.

At some point during this Journal, I will show you have to make organic liquid feeds for your micro herd and plants. ACCTs are one way and help to increase the micro herd population, but there are others that you can easily make at home with nothing more than a few bottles and organic matter and can be tailored to the plant stage.

That’s it for today guys, keep it green :passitleft:

Morning all,

A few pics of Mrs/Mr PC

16265251-B026-4AAA-AE8B-7DFD30F4FC81.jpeg

The treated tops still outpacing the untreated. The tall tops on the left, the ones treated with the 3 month old GA3 solution have caught up to those treated with fresh solution, so maybe it doesn’t degrade as much as I thought, just slower to react.

The next 2 pictures show the difference in calyx between the treated an untreated limbs.

Treated

A68A6271-F2CC-47DE-95A3-9632D15E6333.jpeg

Untreated

95E1B9E8-211E-4CD7-810E-44635A22BDB5.jpeg

Still a female calyx, but the treated tops will get larger/longer and not have any pistils formed. Before long, the calyx higher up will form and release pollen.

The micro herd were feasting like Romans.
Haaa! Luv it!!

The tall tops on the left, the ones treated with the 3 month old GA3 solution have caught up to those treated with fresh solution, so maybe it doesn’t degrade as much as I thought, just slower to react.
Interesting, didn't think about that. Makes sense.

Thanks for the update and the photos!
Very interesting, and bonus points for the difference between treated and untreated.

Peace&Carrots!

Brief update guys,

The Blue Dream girls, 19 left, I culled one as I put it under the big light too soon and the first true leaves turned yellow and stopped growing before they really began whoops lol

Of the 19, one more will be culled before the weekend when I Hope I can get them into the big pots and start their training regimen.

8838F0D8-2E18-433C-9A9A-64D203227BC6.jpeg

The 3 in round pots, centre top, are about 10 days younger than the rest, any guesses to which one will be culled before the weekend ;)

Although this will be a pheno hunt, 18 plants is a small population hunt phenos. As I mentioned before, there were 3 phenotype in the original 4 plants I grew from Humboldt Seed and these seeds are descendants of one of the 50/50 phenos.

I am looking for the Sativa dominate pheno as it had the sweetest smell and best smoke of the 3. All 3 were good though.

Still too early to judge, but as a betting man, I’ll wager the plant top left is a likely suspect and maybe the 3 that are 10 days younger but have caught up to the majority in size.

Lovely! Another sativa hunter. Same here. :)

Top left looks like a sativa dominant for sure, from what I can see. Tall almost lanky plant, wider and narrower leaves. Nice!!

Perhaps stupid question, but have you had any issues with hermaphrodites or other strange issues with the seeds grown from a GA3 treated plant? I've read a few tales about strange plants from seeds coming from plants treated with colloidal silver.

Back
Top Bottom