GardeningGnome's Gorilla Glue, Jack Herer, Critical & Northern Lights: Coco & LED, 2020

GardeningGnome

Here we go 420fam

Today I got the last part of the shipment with new growing medium, pots, pesticides and nutrients. And after two days of washing, scrubbing and cleaning all of the apartment and grow spaces, cutting down house plants and finishing 25 cuttings of my Painted Nettle/Coleus collection.... finally I'm ready!

--
Specs
--

○ Lights
LED lights from Nelson Garden
Four 15W (1400 Lumen) Two 18W (1600 Lumen)

Mars Reflector 48
Mars ECO Epistar 60
Mars Pro II Epistar 80
----------------------------------------------

○ Seeds/Strains
Gorilla Glue (BSB)
40% Sativa – 60% Indica | THC: 28-33% CBD: 0.22% CBN: N/A | Genetics: Chem’s Sister x Sour Dubb x Chocolate Diesel

Critical (BSB)
70% Indica - Sativa 30% | THC: 22-26% CBD: N/A CBN: N/A | Genetics: Bigger Bud x Skunk

Jack Herer (BSB)
55% Sativa – 45% Indica | THC: 20-24% CBD: 0.15% CBN: 0.07% | Genetics: Haze Hybrid x Northern Lights #5 x Shiva Skunk

Northern Lights (Sensi Seeds)
90% Indica - 10% Sativa | THC: 19-24% CBD: N/A CBN: N/A | Genetics: Unknown Indica x Afghani

○ Growing medium
Coco coir from UGRO
Coco coir (coarse fibers) from regional shop
Perlite
Hydrograins, light expanded clay aggregate (LECA) bullets

○ Nutrients & additives
Growth Technology Formulex
Growth Technology Green Fuse Root
Growth Technology IONIC Coco Grow
Growth Technology IONIC MagCal Pro
*Blood meal (possible)
*Bone meal (possible)
*Chicken manure (possible)

○ Pots
Plastic pots for seedlings, clones and veg
3-liter plastic for "mother dear" plants and flowering weaker genetics
Three 10-liter Haxnicks Vigoroot pots for flowering (Air-pruning fabric)

○ Air system
Philips CleanAir System 40

○ Growing spaces
One closet for veg and one tent for flowering

○ Organic pesticide
Double dose of Nematodes

--
∞ Grow agendum
--

∞ Select the seeds showing the best genetics for creating "mother dear" plants, providing clones for 2020.
∞ Clones will be grown quite long in veg due to the sub-optimal lighting conditions. Time is not an issue, "speedy grow" is not necessary.
∞ Clones (and the weakest of the seeds) will be put into flowering indoors.
∞ Clones will (hopefully) be providing plants for my first outdoor grow this summer.
∞ Indoor growing strategy will be utilizing LTS and possibly a SOG depending on the results of the new 10 liters Vigoroot pots.
∞ Previous grows have provided great yields with smaller pots (3 liters) and LTS, hard pruning and "semi SOG". Possible this will be used depending on outcome of the seeds.

--
• Current state of health
--

There has been an infestation of Sciaridae (dark-winged fungus gnats) since last summer that's been wreaking havoc on my house plants and caused major problems with my last crop.

Today marks the day that I fought back.

Hopefully, it is the first and only battle of the war against them. If not, there are two more strategies that I'm going to try if this first battle doesn't end the war. I chose to go with nematodes for all house plants and the five cannabis plants plus seeds.

There is still another dose of nematodes left that will be used within a week or two.

--
• Plants
--

Gorilla Glue
To be honest, I'm not 100% sure when it comes to the age of the four Gorilla Glue's. And since we all know how fuzzy ladies can get when we get their age wrong, I've decided not to speculate. ; - )

They all were put into pure coco from a local shop, quite poor quality, but I had nothing else before getting my shipment yesterday. Better coco has been added to all plants today. The new coco mix from UGRO and second coco package with coarse fibers is without question of better quality. Perlite (25%) was added as well.

This combination of the two different coco types plus perlite looks and feels like a winning combination with a lot of air to the roots and drainage. The coco was lightly packed, not to cause clogging. The new coco-mix was treated with Formulex and Green Fuse Root. Hydrograins will be added when going to bigger pots.

The four were planted at the same time and showed leaves on the same day.
However; two look great, and two have been struggling since early on.

After all seedlings showed leaves the top coco layer was covered with a layer of coal to prevent the Sciaridae reaching the coco.
Crushed good charcoal daily sprayed with water and Formulex created a barrier that actually did a good job. Very few Sciaridae were found during the distribution of the nematodes and repotting today.
The only bugger I saw (and I've noticed this behavior before) is that they come crawling from the bottom of the pot. A bottom layer would be a good idea for the future if needed.

The charcoal layer was removed on all plants today during the nematode distribution and at the same time, a layer of new bottom and top of quality coco was added to the two weaker plants. During this time a closer inspection was done to asses the situation.
I had guessed that the size and health difference between the two groups had primarily todo with the Sciaridae but that might not be the case.

The two finest Gorilla Glue ladies were repotted today since they were getting root-bound.
I decided not to put them in much bigger plastic pots or in the final air pruning pots. Instead, they were moved to a double the current size pot to alleviate the root-bound issue and give the nematodes a fighting chance too.
Switching to a much bigger pot had given the Sciaridae a lot more space to thrive and flee the nematodes plus I'm thinking a possible stress event for the plants as well.

Since time is not really an issue, I'll give them the time needed to both get help from my new pets and recover from the slight root bound issue.

Jack Herer
The Jack planted last week is since early morning yesterday showing the first pair of real leaves.
It have been planted in pure coco and charcoal layer around the edges and towards the center. The coco is the same used as for the Gorilla Glue but with added perlite.
It got a dose of nematodes as well.

---
• Seeds
---
Since there was enough nematodes left I decided to spread it over coco used for five new seeds.
One Northern Lights, two Critical and two more Jack Herer.
The seeds got the new coco-mix with an extra-fine selection of UGRO coco around the actual seeds.
The coco-mix was treated with Formulex and Green Fuse Root.

---
• Random ramblings
---
The Jack Herer is perhaps my favorite strain to smoke, never grown it before.
I've had great success with the Gorilla Glue from BSB last year. Looking forward to doing even better this time around, with your help!
Northern Lights and Critical are new strains for me to grow. Luv to smoke em both.

Woohooo, finally the grow is getting the love, care, focus and time it deserves.

Much is due to the decision to become a member of the community and the warm welcome I was given. (If you haven't read my introduction, take a few minutes and get better acquainted with this gnome here.) Thanks again ya'll. And I was asked to mention/tag a few people when starting the journal so here we go: @DrCannaCanadian , @Modest grower , @bluenoserjoe

--
• Last words
--
I'll give the plants and seeds 18/6 light during the next week to start with. Will be keeping a close eye on the development. The lights will be put a bit higher to avoid stress and give the nematodes a bit less light. Sounds reasonable?

Watering will be done maximum once a day, possibly every second day to allow the nematodes to stay in the coco. What is your suggestion for the best effect? Should I continue watering as normal perhaps?

pH is about 7.0.

I've rigged the house with glass jars with apple-vinegar, water and a drop of shampoo to break the surface tension. This have been a great trap to catch the Sciaridae. Let us see if there are any left at the end of next week.

During previous grows I've used organic nutrients such as compost-tea, blood-meal and dried chicken manure. The compost-tea is out of the question until I get my garden going. I've dissolved the blood-meal and dried chicken manure in hot water and watered with it last year. I'll keep this on standby and try the other/new nutrients for now.

I got a lot of Aloe after chopping a few plants down today. I've used it once when taking cuttings/creating clones. At that time I added it to the coco. But, I was thinking to mash some of it up and use it as a spray with the Formulex. Anyone here tried using it as a foliar spray?

- The Gardening Gnome

(Updated with a bit more details on the strains)

Photos

GG_group.jpg

Group photo of the Gorilla Glue.
Notice the major difference between the two groups, even that all seeds were planted at the same time.
Also clear on this picture is the top-layer of charcoal.
All of them showing signs of the inner leaves "preaching" due to lack of good light this day. The lights were on a low setting due to adding the nematodes. This will be addressed in the coming days.

GG_big_01.jpg

Picture of the first big Gorilla Glue. Looking fab with dark green big leaves and showing the typical thick and "bushy" Indica style leaves.

GG_big_02.jpg

Second big/good Gorilla Glue. Showing a bit more Sativa type with more narrow leaves.

GG_big_inner.jpg

Showing the inner parts of the second GG. Looking very good for future cloning!

GG_small_01.jpg

This is the first smaller GG. Noticeable smaller than the two above, also showing slight burning at the edges and brighter green leaves. This should be due to an iron deficiency. Right?

GG_small_02.jpg

Second smaller GG. Also showing brighter green leaves. This one also have a (what I'm guessing) is a nutrient burn on the leaf on the left side.

JackHerer_seedling.jpg

We end this first photo post with my little Jack Herer. Only about one day with real leaves. Looking strong and beautiful.

That is it for now!
Keep your fingers crossed for me, that the whole process with my new housepets gets rid of the pest.
As soon as any of the other seeds planted shows the first signs of green = I'll upload some photos.

- The Gardening Gnome

Great start. Nice strains. Good luck!
Thanks!!
Just added a few photos as well.
Do have a look if you have the time, and would love to know if I nailed the different issues with the smaller GorillaGlue plants. Hope you have a great weekend!

Hey GG, nice start, I will be popping in to watch and learn as you go. I am not and never been an indoor grower but there's always something one can learn. All the best! :hookah:
Thanks @Stunger !! So, I take it you grow outdoors? My plan is to grow 'em clones (first of all from the Northern Light and Critical) for putting outside this summer. Might I ask for your help with some advice, when the time comes for that? I've never tried an outdoors grow but got some great locations scouted.

Thanks @Stunger !! So, I take it you grow outdoors? My plan is to grow 'em clones (first of all from the Northern Light and Critical) for putting outside this summer. Might I ask for your help with some advice, when the time comes for that? I've never tried an outdoors grow but got some great locations scouted.
Yes I have only grown outdoors and still barely past beginner level, mostly super soil with some sort of stealth training involved, last season I did Fluxing, and this season currently Quadlining two photos and LST'ing an auto, just learning with along the way experience. Cloning I've not done either which sounds great too. Of course I am happy to give my 2 cents worth wherever I can.
:hookah:

Yes I have only grown outdoors and still barely past beginner level, mostly super soil with some sort of stealth training involved, last season I did Fluxing, and this season currently Quadlining two photos and LST'ing an auto, just learning with along the way experience. Cloning I've not done either which sounds great too. Of course I am happy to give my 2 cents worth wherever I can.
:hookah:
Got a lot of researching todo on the subject of outdoor growing... Quadlining seems like an interesting training method and I've come across Fluxing before... Funny training method that I bet can really give massive crops! I've started to follow your outdoor adventures, looking great!

Good morning @GardeningGnome . What a great start to your journal. Gonna be such a great experience. I know it is for me, and I'm as anti social as they come. On the smaller of your GG it looks like the start of a mag. deficiency. Could be a ph fluctuation, but if you are watering all at the same time with the same mix, then it shouldn't be that. :peace:

Good morning @GardeningGnome . What a great start to your journal. Gonna be such a great experience. I know it is for me, and I'm as anti social as they come. On the smaller of your GG it looks like the start of a mag. deficiency. Could be a ph fluctuation, but if you are watering all at the same time with the same mix, then it shouldn't be that. :peace:

Morning! Thank you very much.
Can relate to the social bit, I've spent more time talking/writing to people here during the last couple of days than I do with others IRL at the moment.

Regarding the GG: Yeah, I've been watering all of them at the same time, same amount and same mix. Except; the only day I did up/change the mix was to give one of the smaller ones (called "the second small GG" in the photos) a bit extra Nitrogen, to test if it would "kick into action" and follow the two big girls. It didn't, instead, it showed some burns on the leaf to the left.

I water with about a fourth of the recommended strength, and I water a lot instead. Once or twice a day at this moment. I've put down a dishcloth under the pots to drain/collect excess water in the pots. This has worked excellent to keep the pots from absorbing too much water. At the moment I'm letting them stand without it (give the nematodes a stable home) and will put the dishcloth down later this night.

The only reason I can see for the major difference in the four plants is the damn flying pest...
Never had any similar issue with seeds from BSB, they've kept excellent standard, so I'm doubtful it is that. It will be very interesting to follow what happens next with the two groups of GG! The two bigger ones (that got repotted) is looking at home already, absolutely no signs of stress.

Pullin' up a chair for the show :cheesygrinsmiley:

Welcome my friend!

Today's shows include: Updates on the repotting and pest-control management. And to top the day of, a little news on the Jack Herer seedling. :)
So far, everything is looking excellent. All four GG's seem to be adjusting well to the new soil and nematodes.
The Jack is looking very nice, already starting to peak the second pair of leaves! I've used a dishcloth underneath the pot (good pot with alot of holes) for this one today already. Drained much excess water from it, just to make sure we dont have problem with water pooling at the bottom of the pot.

So far, everything is looking excellent. All four GG's seem to be adjusting well to the new soil and nematodes.
The Jack is looking very nice, already starting to peak the second pair of leaves!
Fantastic!! Sounds like you can take the day off. It's great when the girls play nicely.

Fantastic!! Sounds like you can take the day off. It's great when the girls play nicely.
Indeed! I edited my post if you missed it:
Added a dishcloth underneath the Jack Herer pot (good pot with alot of holes) today already. Drained much excess water from it, just to make sure we don't have problem with water pooling at the bottom of the pot.

All looking great, actually have a series (The Expanse season 4) and a documentary (Grass Is Greener) lined up for the evening! How are things looking on your end?

I’m in GG. Now I need to go back and read... lol need a coffee first. The plants look great though bro. Can’t wait to see you grow :thumb:
Thanks mate!! I've been downing coffees the whole day, haha.
The plants are doing fine! (Knock on weed. I mean wood.)

Just keeping an extra eye on everything today.

Been eying the temperature for the seeds now also, want to keep it around 20 Celcius. A bit colder than most... I guess it is my Viking genes that like it cold! haha. Nah, I like to emulate the true environment of early spring, so quite damp and quite low temperature.

Luuuuv the pictures you posted in your journal!
Makes me reminisce about long, late summer evenings :)

Thanks mate!! I've been downing coffees the whole day, haha.
The plants are doing fine! (Knock on weed. I mean wood.)

Just keeping an extra eye on everything today.

Been eying the temperature for the seeds now also, want to keep it around 20 Celcius. A bit colder than most... I guess it is my Viking genes that like it cold! haha. Nah, I like to emulate the true environment of early spring, so quite damp and quite low temperature.

Luuuuv the pictures you posted in your journal!
Makes me reminisce about long, late summer evenings :)
:passitleft:

Have a wonderful weekend @GardeningGnome
Thanks for dropping by @Modest grower , feels safely that you write a note. Then things are as they should. :)
I'll make sure to keep you updated. I wish you a lovely weekend!!

Oh man... Do wish I could join you in smoking one... Haha...
If one might ask; do you have anything interesting in your stash? Any wonky strains? Classics?

Here we go 420fam

Today I got the last part of the shipment with new growing medium, pots, pesticides and nutrients. And after two days of washing, scrubbing and cleaning all of the apartment and grow spaces, cutting down house plants and finishing 25 cuttings of my Painted Nettle/Coleus collection.... finally I'm ready!

--
Specs
--

○ Lights
LED lights from Nelson Garden
Four 15W (1400 Lumen) Two 18W (1600 Lumen)

Mars Reflector 48
Mars ECO Epistar 60
Mars Pro II Epistar 80

○ Seeds/Strains
Gorilla Glue (BSB)
40% Sativa – 60% Indica | THC: 28-33% CBD: 0.22% CBN: N/A | Genetics: Chem’s Sister x Sour Dubb x Chocolate Diesel

Critical (BSB)
70% Indica - Sativa 30% | THC: 22-26% CBD: N/A CBN: N/A | Genetics: Bigger Bud x Skunk

Jack Herer (BSB)
55% Sativa – 45% Indica | THC: 20-24% CBD: 0.15% CBN: 0.07% | Genetics: Haze Hybrid x Northern Lights #5 x Shiva Skunk

Northern Lights (Sensi Seeds)
90% Indica - 10% Sativa | THC: 19-24% CBD: N/A CBN: N/A | Genetics: Unknown Indica x Afghani

○ Growing medium
Coco coir from UGRO
Coco coir (coarse fibers) from regional shop
Perlite
Hydrograins, light expanded clay aggregate (LECA) bullets

○ Nutrients & additives
Growth Technology Formulex
Growth Technology Green Fuse Root
Growth Technology IONIC Coco Grow
Growth Technology IONIC MagCal Pro
*Blood meal (possible)
*Bone meal (possible)
*Chicken manure (possible)

○ Pots
Plastic pots for seedlings, clones and veg
3-liter plastic for "mother dear" plants and flowering weaker genetics
Three 10-liter Haxnicks Vigoroot pots for flowering (Air-pruning fabric)

○ Air system
Philips CleanAir System 40

○ Growing spaces
One closet for veg and one tent for flowering

○ Organic pesticide
Double dose of Nematodes

--
∞ Grow agendum
--

∞ Select the seeds showing the best genetics for creating "mother dear" plants, providing clones for 2020.
∞ Clones will be grown quite long in veg due to the sub-optimal lighting conditions. Time is not an issue, "speedy grow" is not necessary.
∞ Clones (and the weakest of the seeds) will be put into flowering indoors.
∞ Clones will (hopefully) be providing plants for my first outdoor grow this summer.
∞ Indoor growing strategy will be utilizing LTS and possibly a SOG depending on the results of the new 10 liters Vigoroot pots.
∞ Previous grows have provided great yields with smaller pots (3 liters) and LTS, hard pruning and "semi SOG". Possible this will be used depending on outcome of the seeds.

--
• Current state of health
--

There has been an infestation of Sciaridae (dark-winged fungus gnats) since last summer that's been wreaking havoc on my house plants and caused major problems with my last crop.

Today marks the day that I fought back.

Hopefully, it is the first and only battle of the war against them. If not, there are two more strategies that I'm going to try if this first battle doesn't end the war. I chose to go with nematodes for all house plants and the five cannabis plants plus seeds.

There is still another dose of nematodes left that will be used within a week or two.

--
• Plants
--

Gorilla Glue
To be honest, I'm not 100% sure when it comes to the age of the four Gorilla Glue's. And since we all know how fuzzy ladies can get when we get their age wrong, I've decided not to speculate. ; - )

They all were put into pure coco from a local shop, quite poor quality, but I had nothing else before getting my shipment yesterday. Better coco has been added to all plants today. The new coco mix from UGRO and second coco package with coarse fibers is without question of better quality. Perlite (25%) was added as well.

This combination of the two different coco types plus perlite looks and feels like a winning combination with a lot of air to the roots and drainage. The coco was lightly packed, not to cause clogging. The new coco-mix was treated with Formulex and Green Fuse Root. Hydrograins will be added when going to bigger pots.

The four were planted at the same time and showed leaves on the same day.
However; two look great, and two have been struggling since early on.

After all seedlings showed leaves the top coco layer was covered with a layer of coal to prevent the Sciaridae reaching the coco.
Crushed good charcoal daily sprayed with water and Formulex created a barrier that actually did a good job. Very few Sciaridae were found during the distribution of the nematodes and repotting today.
The only bugger I saw (and I've noticed this behavior before) is that they come crawling from the bottom of the pot. A bottom layer would be a good idea for the future if needed.

The charcoal layer was removed on all plants today during the nematode distribution and at the same time, a layer of new bottom and top of quality coco was added to the two weaker plants. During this time a closer inspection was done to asses the situation.
I had guessed that the size and health difference between the two groups had primarily todo with the Sciaridae but that might not be the case.

The two finest Gorilla Glue ladies were repotted today since they were getting root-bound.
I decided not to put them in much bigger plastic pots or in the final air pruning pots. Instead, they were moved to a double the current size pot to alleviate the root-bound issue and give the nematodes a fighting chance too.
Switching to a much bigger pot had given the Sciaridae a lot more space to thrive and flee the nematodes plus I'm thinking a possible stress event for the plants as well.

Since time is not really an issue, I'll give them the time needed to both get help from my new pets and recover from the slight root bound issue.

Jack Herer
The Jack planted last week is since early morning yesterday showing the first pair of real leaves.
It have been planted in pure coco and charcoal layer around the edges and towards the center. The coco is the same used as for the Gorilla Glue but with added perlite.
It got a dose of nematodes as well.

---
• Seeds
---
Since there was enough nematodes left I decided to spread it over coco used for five new seeds.
One Northern Lights, two Critical and two more Jack Herer.
The seeds got the new coco-mix with an extra-fine selection of UGRO coco around the actual seeds.
The coco-mix was treated with Formulex and Green Fuse Root.

---
• Random ramblings
---
The Jack Herer is perhaps my favorite strain to smoke, never grown it before.
I've had great success with the Gorilla Glue from BSB last year. Looking forward to doing even better this time around, with your help!
Northern Lights and Critical are new strains for me to grow. Luv to smoke em both.

Woohooo, finally the grow is getting the love, care, focus and time it deserves.

Much is due to the decision to become a member of the community and the warm welcome I was given. (If you haven't read my introduction, take a few minutes and get better acquainted with this gnome here.) Thanks again ya'll. And I was asked to mention/tag a few people when starting the journal so here we go: @DrCannaCanadian , @Modest grower , @bluenoserjoe

--
• Last words
--
I'll give the plants and seeds 18/6 light during the next week to start with. Will be keeping a close eye on the development. The lights will be put a bit higher to avoid stress and give the nematodes a bit less light. Sounds reasonable?

Watering will be done maximum once a day, possibly every second day to allow the nematodes to stay in the coco. What is your suggestion for the best effect? Should I continue watering as normal perhaps?

pH is about 7.0.

I've rigged the house with glass jars with apple-vinegar, water and a drop of shampoo to break the surface tension. This have been a great trap to catch the Sciaridae. Let us see if there are any left at the end of next week.

During previous grows I've used organic nutrients such as compost-tea, blood-meal and dried chicken manure. The compost-tea is out of the question until I get my garden going. I've dissolved the blood-meal and dried chicken manure in hot water and watered with it last year. I'll keep this on standby and try the other/new nutrients for now.

I got a lot of Aloe after chopping a few plants down today. I've used it once when taking cuttings/creating clones. At that time I added it to the coco. But, I was thinking to mash some of it up and use it as a spray with the Formulex. Anyone here tried using it as a foliar spray?

- The Gardening Gnome

(Updated with a bit more details on the strains)
Hi GG, watering is probably the most important thing. Folks do it a few ways but I find the way the watering link in my sig below works for me the best. They thrive with a wet/dry cycle. Give it a read, see what you think. Right now I believe you're watering too much.

Back
Top Bottom