Celt’s Cavern Of Chaos

On a side note, I received a nice compliment today from someone I have yet to meet but is a good friend of my Sis-in-Law, the doctor.

Atleast once a year, I send her a care package. She gave some to her friend who is also a doctor, one that specializes in cannabis. This was the text she sent my Sis-in-Law:

”Do send my best of wishes for a lovely grow season in 2021 to your Blue Dream grower. WOW.”

Gotta love hearing things like that from professionals :) and she may get it tested for me, still waiting to hear on that front :)

Sorry mate, missed this. Yes 85g Jello packs.
No worries, it came to me after posting and thought I’d edit it in.
Glad to hear the pump will work!
Noice! Don't test out "high" unless you're wearing a wetsuit and goggles. :cheesygrinsmiley:
“Akkkk the goggles, they do nothing”

Picture time, and explanation of how Mountain Man Engineering took a dead submersible pump and made a working inline pump from the parts and other crap I have kicking around. Aside from time, total cost for this ultimate DIY junk pump was $5 for a 2” ABS ‘T’ :)

Starting with the dead submersible, I pulled the motor out of the pump housing to see why it quit.

The pump housing and some misc parts

3CD63715-5744-48A3-895E-71960C07BD6A.jpeg

I cut the ends off of the motor casing, only way to get inside as it was a sealed unit. It quit because the SEAL failed and the motor filled with water DUH :rofl:

From this, I removed the armature (axel for those that don’t know motor lingo) and put the impeller (the part that spins the water and creates flow) aside. Using the end caps I had cut off, pressed into a 4” ABS coupling, I made a new “hollow” case to hold the bearings and armature. Seen in the lower right with the impeller reinstalled.

Then came the task to somehow secure this into the pump housing at the right clearance from the inlet plate. This presented a challenge, ignoring the metal end caps holding the bearings, I had ABS as a motor case and HDPE plastic for a pump housing and HDPE is a plastic that doesn’t glue to anything. Sometime in the past, I had read an article about making liquid ABS, something at the time I really had no use for, NOW I did.

Although ABS won’t bond to HDPE, I could put screws through the parts of the pump housing that was above the actual water jacket and then put liquid ABS between the housing and the case I had made that is ABS. Once the ABS was cured, the motor casing was secure in the pump housing.

E0EC0201-C938-4281-B1B8-BBA5B0244016.jpeg

I forgot to take a picture of the completed ABS, but I kept working and layering it until I had made a flat plate covering that metal and a smooth transition into the outlet on the right. This is the end the impeller mounts on the shaft in the centre.

Next step was to make the suction plate into an inline inlet. This is where I needed the $5 part, and again the plate was made from a plastic that can’t be glued, but the part was ABS. Back to a combination of mechanical and chemical bonding, and the liquid ABS.

Using stiff wire to put through drilled holes and encasing in liquid ABS, I made a flat mounting surface for the T that was mechanically secured to the inlet plate. The T was bonded to this mounting surface and extra mechanical support at the ends of the T, giving this:

73DFDC5C-4F47-401F-A8E3-259BD5B1B138.jpeg

F4CAC73E-704F-4CA8-8C8F-23A29D532BF3.jpeg

97718432-AE14-4290-9EF4-49889D7E50A6.jpeg

020C7FC9-E1D5-4D38-99AD-28ABBEC981C5.jpeg

If you notice in the last picture, the inlet hole is about 1.25” and the T I used was 2”. Inside the T, I used the liquid ABS to form a smooth transition from 2” down to the inlet diameter.

Now I had a pump (maybe) but no motor to drive it and very little of the drive shaft protruding from the top. So, I drilled a 1/4” hole in the end of the 1/2” drive shaft and welded in a piece of 1/4” rod. Now I had a pump with a shaft to drive it, but still scratching my head about a motor. Seems every one I had lying around not in use was dead :rofl:

Then it struck me, you have been using your old benchtop drill press for making hash, why not use it , and VIOLA, we have a pump that works and flow can be varied to determine how big a pump I need when I can spring for one

470752FA-C867-4049-9584-7B5CFD0CADFA.jpeg

Once I rebuild the turntable, install feed, return and cooling plumbing, I am back up and running :)

The Mountain Man wins this battle, the war is still up in the air :rofl: but I am never dead-in-the-water :rofl: I refuse to accept defeat lol

Afternoon @InTheShed

Yes, this recipe has 0 fats/oils so requires infusing the corn syrup with pure hash oil or you can use bud to infuse the corn syrup. I just prefer making my oil and using it so I can better judge the potency see visually see the oil dissolve into the syrup.

I guess it might help to explain what is really going on in the infusion process. Fats dissolve Cannabinoids and is how we infuse butter, coconut oil and other fats. When infusing a sugar, the Cannabinoids, which are oils, don’t actually dissolve. The heat “thins” the oils making them easily to break up into little balls of oil. The more you mix, or shake as I did, the smaller the balls become until they become micro spheres and evenly distributed throughout the mixture making it appear to have become a solution like the fats make. It’s actually an emulsion rather than a solution.

As it cools, the syrup is thick enough that the micro spheres stay suspended giving the same effect as using an infused oil/fat.

The recipe is simple and is as follows:

1 pkg flavoured Jello
1 tbsp unflavoured gelatin (1 envelope from a box of Knox gelatin)
1/4 tsp citric acid (I found that 1/2 tsp works better to mask the hash oil taste)
1/4c infused corn syrup
1/3c water.

Mix the dry ingredients then add the syrup and water.
Mix slowly to minimize air bubbles.
Let rest 5 minutes
Microwave on high for 30s and then mix again.
Heat again 15s and mix again, repeat 4 times for a total of 1 1/2mins heating.
Let cool for 10 mins mixing few times.
Pour into moulds and leave until it gets enough to move to the fridge.
Leave in fridge for an hour or until they set enough to remove from moulds.
* After removing from the moulds, leave to air for 24hr or more, turning them over periodically. This supposedly causes them to become more rubbery like the original gummies.

As there is no fats involved in this recipe, there is no need for lechin to keep the fats from ”bleeding” or any need to refrigerate. Time will tell if this is true :)

Just a note for those making these and want an idea of potency, this recipe makes about 115 of the 3/4” tall gummies.
How did your gummies turn out..I'm curious

No complaints :rofl: actually the are holding shape, without being in the fridge, and are pretty much like the ones you’d buy for kids. At ~10mg hash oil each, I don’t get much from them, but others who smoke much less than me said they got a good buzz :)

Edibles tend to be hit and miss with me so I tend to be a poor judge of strength. Some days I can eat around 50mg worth and get a buzz, other days I can eat 3X that and get SFA :rofl: and doesn’t seem to matter who makes them.

Back
Top Bottom