Chef & His Wife's First Grow - Organic Super Soil - Strain Unknown

nice job training them girls :thumb:

Good morning everyone.

We have a few questions this morning and were hoping you great folks could offer some advice on the subjects. :thanks:

So if you don't mind we will get right to it.

1) Given that these are bag seeds and I know nothing of the genetics, should we veg the normal veg time or should we veg to the size of the grow box so we will not out grow the space we have?

2) Should we try and sex the plants? What are some other ways we can sex the plants without taking clones?

3) Our grow space is 22" x 22" x 44". A space we knew would fit one maybe two plants tops. But we didn't expect to have three survive but we did as you see. So with that being said even if we have more than one female should we only save one female? We know these are turning into bushes and we are afraid one plant will bush out to the limits of our grow space.

4) And finally with the style of LST we are doing do we need to do a ScrOG?

Well scrubby we took your advice with doing a little trimming from #5. It looks a little extreme but #5 has been a big strong plant this whole adventure and we are sure it will bounce back. And aesthetically it looks much better.

We also changed out all the lower braces of the main stems and replaced them with a better setup. We, however, did not replace the brace on #1. Wanted to see how one would fair without a brace.

They look a little droopy and needed to be watered. They each got a nice top manicure of super soil and a quart of water to drink. Right at a quart they all started to drip from the drain holes.

Well we had to have another photo shoot so I wanted to share more pictures.

Today is day one of week five in the veg cycle.

So here they are...

#5...

IMAG55831.jpg

#2...

IMAG55841.jpg

#1...

IMAG55851.jpg

The Trio...

IMAG55861.jpg

Another question came to mind. Does anyone have a good suggested strain for a future grow? I'm gonna keep this setup for several grows. Don't need quantity as much as quality.

I'm really looking for something that can handle LST &/OR ScrOG. I think My grow might be a micro grow.We need a strain that has a good balance of THC % & yield/sq ft.

I have been reading a journal entry about defoliation and all of it seems to make sense. I am a country boy who moved to the beach. Growing up we always had gardens and flower beds. Some of the stuff they talk about covered a lot of the stuff we did growing up making sure we got nice tomatoes, squash, cukes, beans, peas potatoes, etc. We would always trim the plants growing up in affect doing pretty much the same thing these guys are talking about.

So that being said we are going to do lil defoliation and see what happens. If you have read this:

Increasing yield with defoliation indoors - What's it mean? How to do it?

I want to say that we are not going to defoliate as extremely on this grow as he depicts in this entry. But after much talk and the response #5 has given us after trimming the stressed fan leaves, I think it would be a wise move. I know this is my first mj grow, but I am confident that it will not kill the plants but rather help them. And if you are a skeptic of defol or just curious maybe this will give you some added 411 on the subject.

Tonite we also realized that we haven't actually shown you what they look like when they are in their home under the lights. We always separated them for an individual look.

Here is what they look like at home under the lights...

IMAG56701.jpg

And why not a quick shot of the conditions... Also please note the spike in humidity is because of a watering And we always handle the spike by opening one of the doors.

IMAG56713.jpg

the only thing i regret about defol is not doing it before the switch, eventho i defol in flower there is a line i can't cross cause if i stress them too much a lot of things could go south like turn a hermie on me or even kill one.

hard defol before you hit the plug for 12/12, then after the stretch(1-2 weeks into it) defol again and you should increase your yield from 10% up to even 30%

best of luck nevertheless

:Namaste:

Chef, get that night time rh down bro! :) if youre using a humidifier, put it on a timer. Thats way too high dudee. Youre inviting mold

That spike was from a watering. It always spikes after a watering. But I always leave the door open for about an hour or so and it drops pretty fast. Last night's humidity was around 35%.

Great job Chef!!! I still think youre over watering tho brotha. Your plants have that classic over watered look to em. But the defol should help with circulation and light penetration :)

Great job Chef!!! I still think youre over watering tho brotha. Your plants have that classic over watered look to em. But the defol should help with circulation and light penetration :)

I've been thinking the same but I water by pot weight and that's usually every 4-5 days. I guess I'm giving them too much. I will give them a good drought, probably over a week. Then give them just a lil drink and see what happens.

And thanx for the kind words. We really appreciate it!

the only thing i regret about defol is not doing it before the switch, eventho i defol in flower there is a line i can't cross cause if i stress them too much a lot of things could go south like turn a hermie on me or even kill one.

hard defol before you hit the plug for 12/12, then after the stretch(1-2 weeks into it) defol again and you should increase your yield from 10% up to even 30%

best of luck nevertheless

:Namaste:

Yea I was thinking about trying this on the next grow but with one maybe two and see how much I can get from just one.

I think I'm too far along on this grow and too inexperienced with this plant to defol too hard. But I did do a lil experiment just to learn lil before I test myself on the next grow.

Usually after the flip defol at 21 days then again around 45 peace OG, and remember theses are just guide lines by all means play with it, if you really think about it in a true natural sense how did they survive without man, mother nature can be harsh they can handle a little more tan you think. Had clones of Black Cherry Soda went out in 108 degree temps, and had a run of over a 100 degrees for 30 days. these plants know where they came from and alot of the crosses have come from the middle east, Africa, Mexico, and south america, jungles deserts and pests but survived. I personnaly do not follow alot of the indoor growing trends and do it my way you will figure out what the pant likes and doesn't most have come from alot harsher environment than what you are providing, the over water though can suck been there I use smart pots and really have never ran into any over water issues plau I have mine up off the floor so the dry wet cycle can be more easily charted , peace OG

Back
Top Bottom