Chrome's 'Just Mess'in Around' CFL + Bag Seed Grow

Oh yeah, Papa I was wondering exactly what would baking soda do for plants to help aid them during cloning? I will be for sure taking two when I get back from my trip and will try this in the event i have no cloning gel by then.

scooter, huh? haha..

Ok well, I just decided to go a head and do a flush then feed. during the flush i took run off samples and the PH was a bit on the low side about 5.. I flushed with neutral PH'd water then gave her a heavy feeding.. Hopefully she will recover 100%

I refuse to believe your plants look terrible. They looked great in the last pics, and you're giving them the appropriate TLC.

Frankly, I'm not exactly sure what the baking soda does. I learned from a grower up here his Grandmother used baking soda and got great results. I just figured since its cheap and usually around you might give it a shot.

On the flush and feed. I like my pH up around 6.2 in soil. A heavy dose of nutes may be fine, but make sure they are well balanced. Also, remember that adding nutes will tend to lower the pH.

:nicethread::peace:

I refuse to believe your plants look terrible. They looked great in the last pics, and you're giving them the appropriate TLC.

I know right! they took a turn for the worst in the last 48 hours. I'm really sadden by this turn of event.. To get this far in the grow with out any hick ups then to see them turn bad like this... It hurts.

Frankly, I'm not exactly sure what the baking soda does. I learned from a grower up here his Grandmother used baking soda and got great results. I just figured since its cheap and usually around you might give it a shot.

hmmm, ok. I'll give it a shot. What could it hurt?

On the flush and feed. I like my pH up around 6.2 in soil. A heavy dose of nutes may be fine, but make sure they are well balanced. Also, remember that adding nutes will tend to lower the pH.
Yeah same here. I try to stay in the 6.2-6.3 range. My feed mix is always right in that range. Maybe the food I'm giving just isn't enough for Mary bell. Its a 15-30-15, but untill now she has been really digging it. I think maybe she just needed a good flush as its been a while since I gave her one. Well what is done is done. Now I just wait. It sucks i have to go away this week end as i will be unable to enjoy my self knowing she's having these troubles.

I think you're right on the ball. I find a pre-emptive flush is not a terrible thing. Some folks hate the flush, some folks over do it - I think you're right on with this one. It just zeros everything out and lets you know your next batch of nutes will be on track again.

Good stuff. Will anyone been checking your plants in your absence? They likely won't need to do anything, but at least a set of eyes.

:bong::peace:

Good stuff. Will anyone been checking your plants in your absence? They likely won't need to do anything, but at least a set of eyes.

:bong::peace:

My cat if she manages to grow thumbs and learns to open doors.. SO no. no one but my GF even knows I grow, mostly cause we live together. But she will be with me. We are only going to be gone 2 1/2 days. I figure she will be fine. providing everything I did today wasn't in vein.

though i think she's already looking happier, although that could just be the owl i smoked talking.. HA

I used baking soda (I think, doubt it was baking powder) to raise the pH of my water before I got some pH Up. Never gave me any problems I don't think...although I need to research it a bit more as I used a LOT of it earlier in my just-harvested grow and my gf thinks it may have been part of the problem I had....something about possibly releasing extra nitrogen in the soil. I dunno, it doesn't sound right to me, the plant wasn't exhibiting signs of excess nitrogen afaik. BUT...I can safely say that small doses (1/2-1 tsp or so) it won't hurt the plant, especially if it's not every watering.

As for your pH 6.3 should be fine although I prefer it a little higher just so I'm closer to the center of the "sweet spot" for nutrient uptake. Low 6's are pushing close to the extreme on the acidic side for best absorption according to the chart below...caveat is that I've seen other charts that extend the N, P, and K down to 6 or below (in the case of N) so some extra checking may be in order.

38072489f5a0012efc.gif

Another chart for comparison...
chart.jpg

The symptoms you are describing remind me of what my plant started doing when I began to have issues...you may want to dig back about two months or so in my second journal to the point where I was switching to flowering and check those pics. Maybe you can use them as a reference for people here if you can't get any pics up? I wound up deciding it was probably a K deficiency possibly exacerbated by a calcium and/or magnesium deficiency...a good flush seemed to help and some heavier nutrient doses throughout flowering helped bring her around towards the end. Only problem is that by then all the fan leaves had died and fallen off so take care of it asap! Mine turned a lot more green towards the end of its life so I must have been on the right path lol

Have a good holiday weekend and don't worry about your plant too much...you've done all you can for now and will need to wait and see anyway before you can ascertain if you've done any good. :peace:

Hey Lil, actually when Mary Bell started to show these signs I recalled your problem and looked it over. They are similar and I agree with the deficiencies. I am working on correcting these. Since the flush she seems to have not gotten worse. but what damage was done is done. I bought some batteries for the camera yesterday, but as i was pretty stoned I cant figure where I placed them. But when I do I will post an update..

Ok, nope. Couldn't find the darned batteries. Though I did notice that a few hairs scattered around my lady are starting to turn this brilliant orange color. Like maybe a total of 6 or 8 groups of twos on sever different bud sites. That's kind of cool. wish I could show you guys, but you know how it is...

I'm quit stoned as well, so here is some muzak in lue of a photo update.
YouTube - Explosions In The Sky - Home

and a picture of a blunt I smoked while on vacation last week.
blunt9.JPG

This is how I felt after smoking that blunt.
kitty_bitch.JPG

Pictures? PICTURES??? YOU DON'T GET NO STICKING PICTURES MAN... because still have not found those damned batteries..

But I did want to say I took a clone! Nothing fancy, just snipped at the stem, trimmed to size. filled a plastic cup with water ph'ed to 6.5 then covered with aluminum foil, cut stem to 45% angle and poked into center of cup. Not sure if I'm going hydro or not but i have cloned flowers and herbs by doing this in the past. Once root nubs develop i will either have the cash (and permission from the misses) to build a hydro rig or she will go into soil..

I'm sadden every time i look at mary bell, she looks so sad.. She hasn't gotten worse, she has stabilized but not a whole lot has been going on with her. Her bud development has with out a doubt slowed.Hoping she will pick up soon, as she is not ready to harvest at all. I mean I could, but it wouldn't be worth it.

Well I broke down and bought the technaflora Recipe for success starter kit! Went to the hydro shop for just some bloom nutes and saw this and figured it would be perfect for the size of operation I run here. Plus it come with a little of every thing Mary Bell needs. I hope this will bring her back around. If you dont know it comes with 1 liter of each of the followig: B.C Grow, B.C Boost, B.C Bloom. As well as an 8oz thing of sugar daddy, Root 66 and 4oz of Thrive alive B-1(red and green), Magical and Awesome blooms. as well as a small thing of rootech rooting gel. Mary bell will be getting her first feed today at 1/2 strength. hope she likes it.

Dang man, nobody has responded to you in days...wtf? lol

Still waiting on those pics...there's lazy...then there's STONER lazy...and then there's PREPOSTEROUSLY lazy ;) How's Mary Bell looking? Her looking worse and then stabilizing at whatever point is normal imho due to the time scale plants work on. As you said as long as she's not getting worse you're ok for now, hopefully the nutes will perk her back up! Sounds like you got pretty much anything you might need in that kit except calcium and magnesium unless they're included with the micronutes (B.C. Boost is a micronutrient fert right? Too lazy to look myself).

Keep us updated...even if nobody else wants to respond ;) Although without pics there's not a whole lot TO respond to lol. Your cat looks like mine when they get out on the patio...melt, then they start asking, "Can we iz haz cheezburgers now?" and it's downhill from there.

yeah with out pics people tend to not reply.. :( oh well cause good news! I found them batteries!! bad news the misses is taking a nap so I cant mess around in the room just yet, check back tonight for photos.. and warning, its not pretty.. My heart is breaking..

Dude...that's making your heart-break? You'll die if she winds up looking like mine did!

Heck of a "bear claw" look you have going on, iirc that's usually a sign of excess nitrogen but shouldn't be in your case (or mine, mine had claws like that too)...it looks like most of the damage is concentrated towards the top, especially the new growth. There's some damage further down but not nearly as pervasive (extreme might be a better word). This is worse than when it stabilized? When was the last time it was fed again (and NPK strength along with dosage)?

It appears to start on the edge of the fan leaves turning yellow, then orange, and finally necrotic...are you getting any dark spots mottling the leaves over most of the leaves of the plant? I can see some lighter colored speckles but I suspect that's tied to the nutrient that's causing the green to fade from the leaves.

I hit mine pretty hard with the EJ Bloom (0-3-1) using the moderate dose most of the time (once or twice with a heavy hand) and it seemed to be helping along with the EJ Catalyst (aka molasses mostly). Someone else had agreed that mine looked like a K (potassium) deficiency but I didn't have anything high in K so I fed the regular dose but almost every watering. I still wish I had added some calcium and magnesium because she was showing symptoms of those deficiencies too and I think they are related to potassium.

I'd say if you can figure it out in the next two weeks you should be ok without losing too many fan leaves...but if they start turning faster than you can keep track of you've got big problems. I wound up pretty much waiting each day for the lights to come on so I could pull more dead fan leaves off lol

Her last feed was Saturday I mixed the Nutes as directed but at half strength I'm not sure what the final NPK works out to as I mixed like 5 different things..

this is what I bought:
TechnafloraRFSKit.jpg

and it came with a "Recipe for Success" mixing guide. which can be viewed in PDF here. Calculator - Technaflora

I mixed for flowering(of course) at half strength. It would be way too much to type as far as what each thing has, but I assure you all the bases are covered.

What really worries me is she seems to have stopped or at least slowed her water intake and the same can be said for new growth. Her next watering will be straight Ph'd water. but at the rate of water intake its going to be a while. I almost wonder if maybe I over watered her after the flush.. I just dont know, and its killing me. Also neither of my clones seem to be rooting.. One i'm trying the old method of cutting placed in water the 2nd got rootech and soil.

Sorry about the turn for the worst buddy. I am new to growing but I would have to agree with Lil N about the "N" toxicity. I had some similar problems granted they did not escalate to your extent, but that was how I treated them and they are happy with it so far.

One more thing. If you use tap water try filling and let them sit out uncapped overnight without nutes. My water has a bit higher amount of chlorine in it and this will allow most if not all of it to evaporate. Then just add nutes and ph according. Just a thought!

Back
Top Bottom