Closeup of one bud

Finnicki

How close do the professionals think this plant is to harvest? I’m still finding clear trichs amid the chaos. Looking to harvest when most are milky. Thanks.

D76A4FA6-439F-4753-89AD-5951321EFC1A.png

How close do the professionals think this plant is to harvest? I’m still finding clear trichs amid the chaos. Looking to harvest when most are milky. Thanks.

Stop looking at trichomes for ripeness and learn what a ripe bud looks like. Pistils turn color (like in your pic) but they die back and appear to be eaten by the swollen calyxes. Calyxes look like popped popcorn.
5D55788E-DC6C-49FB-B0AB-6008DD503F66.jpeg

Hi Finnicki - the pistils are turning and will shrivel some more so in a week or so you should start to see milky
I always wait a week longer after that, chopping when mostly milky, just a few amber
So I'd be looking again in a couple of weeks but it's your grow so do whatever feels right to you
Alternatively you could harvest in stages and see which gives you the best flavour/effect

I’ve read to harvest in stages. Finn wants to chop it all at once, then hang it for 10 daze. Wife smokes and I make butter from them. This swollen calyx thing…does the thc increase in waiting, or just the buds mass increase to give her more to smoke?? Still a nu-bee after 4 years…

I’ve read to harvest in stages. Finn wants to chop it all at once, then hang it for 10 daze. Wife smokes and I make butter from them. This swollen calyx thing…does the thc increase in waiting, or just the buds mass increase to give her more to smoke?? Still a nu-bee after 4 years…
No, the THC does not increase the longer you leave it, in fact it starts to degrade and become more sedative after the milky stage - I tend to harvest earlier than most here would suggest, for the heady high
I like mine some clear, mostly milky and very little if any amber
Your call my friend, it's all good experience
:hookah:

The plant matures, terpins and cannabinoids develop and potency increases. The high is fully developed and last a hell of a lot longer. The weed smells better. People tend to pick weed early (especially noobs) so they make up this crap about —for a racy speedy high pick when trichomes are clear and milky—or for a sleepy experience let em turn amber—all BS—buy indica seeds and let the buds get ripe for a laid back high, sativa for an energetic and hybrids if you like to feel muddy. Like I said Learn what a ripe bud looks like or believe the internet mumbojumbo about trichome inspection. Noobs shouldn’t use loops.

2018- the year it became legal in Michigan. Now that year might have been for medical marijuana. Recreational might have been later. Forgive me, as I am old & stoned. Between stone ages. Waiting for the new brownie to kick in.
Forgot the medical date and had to look it up. 2008 for medical. 2016 for some changes to medical dispensary provisions in the law.

2018 recreational was voted in. Good thing about that was that recreational growers did not have to register their name and address with the state in order to grow a couple of plants.

People starting out use loupe to check for maturity. It's only a good way to harvest to early. Look at flower structure and maturation instead of trichomes which may ripe on patches way before the plant is ripe and done for harvest.

Whole plant picture is what we need to make a proper decision, close ups not so much. That plant looks like it has months to go.

if you watch trichs make sure you are looking at the trichs on the bud. they amber out early on sugar leaves. standard harvest window is 10% amber trichs, but it varies both by strain and by personal preference. some flat out sativa really won't amber.

Back
Top Bottom