Cloudy or clear

Fatlad

Hi guys .. just a question my eyes dont seem to be working properly... do these look cloudy to you... I'm saying yes but I'm pretty new to this and 1st time I've really looked so any advice would be greatly appreciated.. thanks

Attachments

• 20190813_183534.jpg
    20190813_183534.jpg
    693.8 KB · Views: 148
  • 20190813_183523.jpg
    20190813_183523.jpg
    763.8 KB · Views: 149
  • 20190813_183516.jpg
    20190813_183516.jpg
    710 KB · Views: 141
  • 20190813_183508.jpg
    20190813_183508.jpg
    701.9 KB · Views: 149
  • 20190813_183502.jpg
    20190813_183502.jpg
    615.7 KB · Views: 135
  • 20190813_183457.jpg
    20190813_183457.jpg
    601.9 KB · Views: 154
From what I can see, I would say mostly cloudy. However, it was suggested to me to be careful of being "fooled" by the trichs on the sugar leaves. Need to focus on the buds themselves. One other suggestion is to think about a magnifying glass or jewler's loupe to get in close. Even better, I got a really inexpensive microscope that hooks up to my laptop. Lets me zoom in really close, and hands-free for taking pictures etc. I think the microscope was $35 or so.

Hope this helps. I'm sure other folks will stop by and give their thoughts as well. Happy harvest!

Looks to be a very small amount of amber, but mostly milky, yeah. I heard it's good to have a mixture of all 3 colours.

I don't know how relevant this is, because of the lack of science on the subject of cannabis, but someone told me amber = CBN (Degraded THC), which is responsible for the sleepy couch lock feeling. It is more of a fake high influenced by the sleepiness, something which CBD should do anyway, regardless if trichome colour, and CBD is strain dependent, much like THC levels. THC is also at it's strongest when trichomes are clear, and you'll still be getting clear ones forming right until the end, especially when the plant thinks it is dying before harvest with a good flush; stress causes it to produce more trichomes, it is a defense against insects and predators.

I don't know how true this is, but to me it sounds legit, so it wouldn't hurt to have all 3 trichome colours on your bud.

From what I can see, I would say mostly cloudy. However, it was suggested to me to be careful of being "fooled" by the trichs on the sugar leaves. Need to focus on the buds themselves. One other suggestion is to think about a magnifying glass or jewler's loupe to get in close. Even better, I got a really inexpensive microscope that hooks up to my laptop. Lets me zoom in really close, and hands-free for taking pictures etc. I think the microscope was $35 or so.

Hope this helps. I'm sure other folks will stop by and give their thoughts as well. Happy harvest!

Hey @The Bard ... thanks so much ... and perfect timing ... I am two weeks away from my first harvest!

However, it was suggested to me to be careful of being "fooled" by the trichs on the sugar leaves. Need to focus on the buds themselves.

I got a cheap microscope from Amazon but I am now looking into an HD WiFi microscopes that will hook up to my phone and laptop!

Thanks again for your help ...

Why are you flushing instead of going full-on bloom nutrients in the last two weeks of flower?
They already had 3 weeks of top shoot pal they are 8 week in a 9 week flower so gonna flush them for 4 days with lights on then cut all the water off and turn lights off for 3 days then chop chop chop

They already had 3 weeks of top shoot pal they are 8 week in a 9 week flower so gonna flush them for 4 days with lights on then cut all the water off and turn lights off for 3 days then chop chop chop

Lots of debate about flushing versus not. I've chosen not to flush, but if it works for you, that's great!

Also, don't go by trichomes alone, the pistils should be half of the indicator. The plant may start spewing out new white pistils towards the end in a de
Why are you flushing instead of going full-on bloom nutrients in the last two weeks of flower?

It won't make a difference IMO. You give them nutrients till the end, the plant just takes it up as normal.

You don't give them nutrients till the end, the plant thinks it's dying and spews out new growth in a desperate act to survive.

Think about it, there really is no magical growth spurt in the last two weeks, because there is no last two weeks, everyone's two final weeks are all different, they are initiated when WE wan't to finish the plant, not when the plant is finishing itself. When we begin flush.

If you left the plant, it would continue to live for months until chopped.

Also, don't go by trichomes alone, the pistils should be half of the indicator. The plant may start spewing out new white pistils towards the end in a de

It won't make a difference IMO. You give them nutrients till the end, the plant just takes it up as normal.

You don't give them nutrients till the end, the plant thinks it's dying and spews out new growth in a desperate act to survive.

Think about it, there really is no magical growth spurt in the last two weeks, because there is no last two weeks, everyone's two final weeks are all different, they are initiated when WE wan't to finish the plant, not when the plant is finishing itself. When we begin flush.

If you left the plant, it would continue to live for months until chopped.

Just my personal opinion... I agree with the no flush approach. On the other hand, I wouldn't pay too much attention to pistils (or leaf colour, for that matter). Some plants will continue to spit out new pistils for a long long time. If you keep waiting for pistils to turn dark and shrivel, you may find that the older buds have gone well past cloudy, and end up with a lot of amber. Which is great if you are going for narcotic effect, but not so much if you want a more energetic buzz. To me, it is all about the bud trichs.

As I said, just my thoughts.

Just my personal opinion... I agree with the no flush approach. On the other hand, I wouldn't pay too much attention to pistils (or leaf colour, for that matter). Some plants will continue to spit out new pistils for a long long time. If you keep waiting for pistils to turn dark and shrivel, you may find that the older buds have gone well past cloudy, and end up with a lot of amber. Which is great if you are going for narcotic effect, but not so much if you want a more energetic buzz. To me, it is all about the bud trichs.

As I said, just my thoughts.

True, true.

I also found that the pistils turn anyway after harvest, so it doesn't really matter in the end anyhow.

Yeah its always a minefield of a debate ... I'm using auto pots for the 1st time so it's even more of a head blag as people say flush and others say dont .... confused.com

Yup! I've stopped trying to change folks minds. Better I think just to share that there are at least two schools of thought on flushing, and allow everyone to make up their own mind.

Here is the conclusion from a recent university study:

FLUSHING NUTRIENTS FROM GROWTH MEDIA

The practice of flushing is a current common industry practice but there is no
evidence in published literature of its effectiveness in reducing nutrient concentrations within
the bud or even whether or not this is a desirable result. After testing the nutrient
concentrations from each treatment from three separate experiments, there were no
significant differences in nutrient levels between any treatments within each experiment. This
result showed that the intended purpose of flushing to reduce nutrient concentrations within
the bud has no effect. These data show that for the last two weeks of the flower cycle for
cannabis, it was possible to use no fertilizer water for irrigation with no significant impact on
yield while saving input costs on fertilizer.

So, ...

Flushing soil will NOT reduce nutrient concentrations in the bud and has NO effect on taste.

Flushing soil at the start of the final bud swell, two weeks before harvest, is necessary for 100% water/nutrient uptake into the plant during this most critical time.

Proper curing will reduce nutrient concentrations in the bud and improve the smoothness and taste of the buds.

Choosing when to harvest is all about the microscopic trichomes NOT the pistels.

Growing and preserving the trichomes using slow curing is the reason we grow cannabis.

We ultimately have a 4 week window to harvest once the harvest window opens.

Why don't you flush @The Bard ... are you in coco and it is not necessary? Personal experience.

I have not heard of the three day dark thing ... anyone care to educate me on the science behind that please?

No offense to anyone ... we all have different styles and choices we have made based on current science.

Thanks for the discussion and the difference in opinions so we can learn better :)

Here is the conclusion from a recent university study:

FLUSHING NUTRIENTS FROM GROWTH MEDIA

The practice of flushing is a current common industry practice but there is no
evidence in published literature of its effectiveness in reducing nutrient concentrations within
the bud or even whether or not this is a desirable result. After testing the nutrient
concentrations from each treatment from three separate experiments, there were no
significant differences in nutrient levels between any treatments within each experiment. This
result showed that the intended purpose of flushing to reduce nutrient concentrations within
the bud has no effect. These data show that for the last two weeks of the flower cycle for
cannabis, it was possible to use no fertilizer water for irrigation with no significant impact on
yield while saving input costs on fertilizer.

So, ...

Flushing soil will NOT reduce nutrient concentrations in the bud and has NO effect on taste.

Flushing soil at the start of the final bud swell, two weeks before harvest, is necessary for 100% water/nutrient uptake into the plant during this most critical time.

Proper curing will reduce nutrient concentrations in the bud and improve the smoothness and taste of the buds.

Choosing when to harvest is all about the microscopic trichomes NOT the pistels.

Growing and preserving the trichomes using slow curing is the reason we grow cannabis.

We ultimately have a 4 week window to harvest once the harvest window opens.

Why don't you flush @The Bard ... are you in coco and it is not necessary? Personal experience.

I have not heard of the three day dark thing ... anyone care to educate me on the science behind that please?

No offense to anyone ... we all have different styles and choices we have made based on current science.

Thanks for the discussion and the difference in opinions so we can learn better :)

Nice summary.

I had seen the study that you referred to, and that's why I don't flush. It doesn't remove anything from the buds, and so I would rather the plants have access to the nutes that they might need, versus needing them and not being able to access. I can't judge/time very well when a plant will be ready to harvest, and so I don't want to stop feeding too early. Yes, I'm growing in coco.

The darkness thing may be just another old tale. However, the story goes that the dark period triggers a last push of trichs. It may also start the breakdown of chlorophyll, which is what can give the end product a nasty taste. The low and slow drying/cure is meant first to preserve the trichs and terps, but also to allow the chlorophyll a long window to break down.

In all of this, flush, dark, cure, you are exactly right... definitely a personal choice that each one of us gets to decide on!

Back
Top Bottom