CMH Distance Experience

I don’t know how much room that unit takes up Nivek, but if you take a tape measure and measure directly from your ceiling above the light- right to the top of the plant canopy- how far would that be? 36 inches or thereabouts- more?

I don’t know how much room that unit takes up Nivek, but if you take a tape measure and measure directly from your ceiling above the light- right to the top of the plant canopy- how far would that be? 36 inches or thereabouts- more?
40 inches ,, but i can't see to type,, blinded by the light,, ha

top of the light is 13" from the ceiling,, guess i best monitor the heat up there

I finely settled on one SS-315, one plant, one bucket rdwc.. The last two Waterfarm plants I posted was in my mixed hydro thread.. 6 ozs short of 2 pounds.. I go with the lights recommended best height of 24 inches, and a footprint 32"x32"..
I think a pound from a single scroged 315 is possible in a 3'x3' simple WF or diy single bucket WF....
Good tip, you should buy the 220v version if you can use it.. , if not the 110 SS 315 weighs at least 10lbs more, and uses 25-30 watts more to convert it to 220v..

I am running two Nanolux 315W CMH NA in my 4x4.
Heat has not been an issue as the ballast can be detached from the fixture an run from outside the tent. Plus the Nanolux runs much cooler than a number of ballast out there. I had a ballast die that was under warranty and my hort guy loaned me another ballast he had in the shop till mine came in. That ballast was 60 to 70 degrees hotter than my Nanolux.
Heat from the lamps is cooler than the 600W HPS bulbs I have used.

Distance of lamp.
In my horizontal grows, I have never been really pressed for height and run my reflector 20 to 26 inches from the tops of the buds.

This last horizontal grow I came very close to running out of room. My tent is 6.5 feet tall. I have the drain tray sitting 11 inches above a low profile 8 gallon catch basin sitting on the floor of the tent. On the floor of the drain tray is a raised stand on rollers with a Lazy Susan attached to the stand, that is 6 inches tall. 2 gallon Smart Pots are 7 inches tall so that's 2 feet in the 6.5 feet used before a seed is even planted . With room for the fixture there's 4 feet to grow in.
The plants stretched more than expected, did not maintain the SCrog being attempted properly. The lowest the lamps were from the top of the buds was 16 inches. May have been some stunting but no burning, increasing the air movement, lowered the temp of the AC in the room that supplies the intake air and turned the exhaust fan to max with lights on. The high temp at bud height was 81 high but mostly a steady 79 with the lights on.
Overall, I would say that 16 inches is too low although not that bad if you can control temps.
This grow is hanging and drying at present so I am a few weeks away from giving a full report on this grow.

Sorry for the assay, hope I did not bore you! :)

Thanks all, great responses. I've just finished a clone grow with SSH and WCH Photoperiods. I only grew in 1 Gallon pots as I got lazy and couldn't be bothered upgrading. I only had 4 plants in my 4x4 which is 8ft tall. I had the 2x315CMH's cable tied to the roof as close as possible from the last grow which was just 2 plants that were in veg for about 4mths. I couldn't be bothered dropping the lights so they were 36"++ from the lights. As they were tall and quite spindly the light could get right through to the bottom of the plants.

The end result of this 4x1Gall pot clone grow from a quality perspective looks AMAZING. I haven't tried it yet as it's curing away first. It does look like the best grow ever. I've cleared 8oz of super bud which is low for me in the 4x4 but that is more to do with the small pots and not putting another 2-3 plants in the tent. Still would've been lower than usual harvest weight but the quality looks so good I don't care about the very low GPW! :yummy: :yummy:

So when I do my next grow, I'm going to try just 2Gal pots and keep the lights a long way away and see how that goes rather than using 9-13 Gal pots and vegging for longer.

Vadim

3 gal fabric pots are the shit! I smashem wherever they need to fit. I fill them half full first, let them grow a few weeks pull em out and uppot in the same pot. Veg a few more weeks then put it in the flower room. Lol I just imagined a hydro grow with a bunch of clones in socks filled with the little RockWool croutons. Lol

Mmmmm, these croutons worked ok :yummy: :yummy: :):blunt:

IMG_3095.jpg
IMG_3103.jpg

You want 600+ PPFD during flowering to maximize photosynthesis without co2.
Sounds about right... I've read that 500-1000 is spot on... any less and you get leafy bud, any more and they start to burn up.

What kind of ballast do you guys run... I've got a CMH but the ballast burned up (Sun System :(). The store near me sells Nanolux but I've heard they are incompatible with Phillips CMH bulbs.

Sounds about right... I've read that 500-1000 is spot on... any less and you get leafy bud, any more and they start to burn up.

What kind of ballast do you guys run... I've got a CMH but the ballast burned up (Sun System :(). The store near me sells Nanolux but I've heard they are incompatible with Phillips CMH bulbs.
I'm using Hi-Par 315w Digital Ballasts with Phillips CMH bulbs. Their outside the tent and have been great so far and they've done a lot of hours.

Back
Top Bottom