Co2 in 2022 have you tried the newer bags

Savvage61

I was looking at some of the post about C02 most of them are pretty old before the Bags became popular. I would love to hear from some of my farmer friends results and opinions
1. do they really make a difference ?
2. are they safe ? I have a 4x4 grow tent in my downstairs family room My computer to the left of me my 65 in cable TV and on my right a big black $x$ grow tent that requires leaning to the left if ya wanna watch tv Im gettin older and I know im gonna die some day But I really dont wanna die because I put a bag of co2 in my tent yeah dying right beside your weed might sound like a kewl way to go.:cough: But I prefer 95 yrs old and going in my sleep

seriously though have you tried them? if so please tell me about it give a personal review if you dont mind

Thx everyone

I started using them this summer. Last summer it was hot and I wanted to be better prepared for the heat with the CO2. This year I have the bags and think they help, especially with heat.

This is only my observation. No scientific info. The tent has been over 95° a number of days this summer. Many in a row, and the plants did not wilt like they did last summer.

I was looking at some of the post about C02 most of them are pretty old before the Bags became popular. I would love to hear from some of my farmer friends results and opinions
1. do they really make a difference ?
2. are they safe ? I have a 4x4 grow tent in my downstairs family room My computer to the left of me my 65 in cable TV and on my right a big black $x$ grow tent that requires leaning to the left if ya wanna watch tv Im gettin older and I know im gonna die some day But I really dont wanna die because I put a bag of co2 in my tent yeah dying right beside your weed might sound like a kewl way to go.:cough: But I prefer 95 yrs old and going in my sleep

seriously though have you tried them? if so please tell me about it give a personal review if you dont mind

Thx everyone
If you spend a lot of time in the family room with the tent then you're already doing the job of a co2 bag.
Get the whole family in there breathing. :laugh:
It would be interesting to know what the co2 levels are now without a bag?

Ambient co2 levels indoors range from 300-1000 ppm. Average outdoor co2 levels are 414 ppm.
So a good chance that the levels in the house are already higher than what the plant would be in if it was in a natural outdoor soil lifestyle.;)

But I really dont wanna die because I put a bag of co2 in my tent yeah dying right beside your weed might sound like a kewl way to go.
There is that possibility that there will be to much CO2 and it will take you out. You might also meet the end just from leaning to far over to watch something on the TV and fall off the chair and break your neck.😉

Will a CO2 bag really work in a standard and ordinary tent like most of us can afford to buy? What I have to wonder about is what is the air exchange if the fans are drawing in air from outside the tent and pushing air back out. What about air leaks along the seams and the teeth of the zippers? So what happens to the CO2 levels?

The way I understand it the growers who are into using CO2 and who do it successfully have to seal up the entire room the plants are in so there is no air exchange with the rest of the house or building. Not sure how that would work out with a typical house heating and cooling system. If the basement is sealed up any air leaks in the tent do not matter since the air is exchanging with what is in the sealed up basement.

So a good chance that the levels in the house are already higher than what the plant would be in if it was in a natural outdoor soil lifestyle.;)

There is that possibility that there will be to much CO2 and it will take you out. You might also meet the end just from leaning to far over to watch something on the TV and fall off the chair and break your neck.😉

Will a CO2 bag really work in a standard and ordinary tent like most of us can afford to buy? What I have to wonder about is what is the air exchange if the fans are drawing in air from outside the tent and pushing air back out. What about air leaks along the seams and the teeth of the zippers? So what happens to the CO2 levels?

The way I understand it the growers who are into using CO2 and who do it successfully have to seal up the entire room the plants are in so there is no air exchange with the rest of the house or building. Not sure how that would work out with a typical house heating and cooling system. If the basement is sealed up any air leaks in the tent do not matter since the air is exchanging with what is in the sealed up basement.
I have run Co2 commercially. The room must be sealed or there is no point. It's only done in flower. You must have a meter or else you're just guessing. Run the ppm om the co2 at the same level as your ppfd (1400ppm and 1400ppfd ideally). Co2 becomes dangerous to animals around the 4000ppm level. Co2 is heavier than air so you must run top down. Co2 is used to increase yield up to 10%...probably not really necessary for the home hobbyist.

Yeah I never really thought of that I have to 4" inline fans pumping the air in the family room these are some great questions and Im happy to hear That im not the only one with a budget $30 - $40 isnt a lot but when your a poor dirt farmer like myself by the end of the week 40 bucks is a fortune here is the real kicker apparently the CO2 bags require temps in the 85-90+ degrees *F I just got done fighting to get my tent temps from 68* lights out to under 80* Lights on if it takes those temps for me Ill do without Co2 for now but ill open up a can a worms what about these DIY CO2 emitters
(a couple of 2liter soda bottles filled with vinegar and baking soda?

Id love to hear your thoughts on these
DIY CO2

Yeah I never really thought of that I have to 4" inline fans pumping the air in the family room these are some great questions and Im happy to hear That im not the only one with a budget $30 - $40 isnt a lot but when your a poor dirt farmer like myself by the end of the week 40 bucks is a fortune here is the real kicker apparently the CO2 bags require temps in the 85-90+ degrees *F I just got done fighting to get my tent temps from 68* lights out to under 80* Lights on if it takes those temps for me Ill do without Co2 for now but ill open up a can a worms what about these DIY CO2 emitters

DIY CO2
My wife was a brewer for a few years and they had to have Co2 alarms in the coolers...it was so strong sometimes you could smell the Co2 when you would go into the walk-in. Maybe a little homebrew...two birds one stone??

DIY CO2
I keep thinking that unless the tent can be sealed up absolutely tight so there is no air exchange it is still not going to make a difference.

i REAlly think you are right if I had a room rather than a tent , that I could seal up it would be fine./ what really killed me is the temps the bags say 86 * degrees Fahrenheit I WANT PURPLE !!!

Gidday Savvage. I myself wouldn’t waste time or $$.
To get it to work properly lot of mucking about. Will need REALLY GOOD dehumidifier. As for bag in the tent little bit that comes out goes straight up exhaust.
Not worth it in my opinion.

Not scientific, but I've got some ideas and some experience in using the poor man's method.

I am a bit of an experimenter, and wanted to learn how to distill. So I did a lot of reading and gave it a try. I mix grains, sugar, water, and yeast in a bucket, along with some of the liquid from the previous distill run called "backset." It is acidic and makes the resulting mixture something called sour mash. The bucket will bubble releasing CO2 for about a week.

Now for how this ties into growing. I've done this several times but the last grow, I think I have circumstantial evidence of it's effetiveness.
I grew three Vanilla Kush clones from the same mother, so the plants were genetically the same. I rigged my CO2 bubbler up to my Scrog screen. I have a fan blowing directly across the screen and a fan mounted on the ceiling blowing down. I mounted the bubbler to one side, thinking the way the fans blew it would end up blowing across the plants more evenly. It didn't but that's my evidence. Note the picture of the plants, all plants being clones from the same mother, the plants getting more CO2 were taller and greener.

VK Day 25 flower (6).JPG

Note the CO2 bubbler on lower left. The plants on the right were farthest from the CO2 and were shorter and a lighter green.

I put the distilled alcohol in barrels so it's not wasted. It's not scientific, but some get lost demanding perfection when it's really just a supplement that helps the plants. A person growing for profit probably wouldn't reap the benefits to justify the time and cost, but a hobbyist trying to get a little more from their garden just might.

The way I understand it the growers who are into using CO2 and who do it successfully have to seal up the entire room the plants are in so there is no air exchange with the rest of the house or building.

I have run Co2 commercially. The room must be sealed or there is no point. It's only done in flower.

essentially the same we discovered running c02.
i've always questioned running it in a tent for this very reason. you wind up having to run it for the whole external room the tent is in.

You must have a meter or else you're just guessing. Run the ppm om the co2 at the same level as your ppfd (1400ppm and 1400ppfd ideally). Co2 becomes dangerous to animals around the 4000ppm level. Co2 is heavier than air so you must run top down. Co2 is used to increase yield up to 10%...probably not really necessary for the home hobbyist.

should note that c02 will pool lower down. you may be running 1400ppm up top, but it can hit 2 to 4 times that reading at a few inches off the ground. that is why it becomes dangerous to animals, as they take in the air lower down.

My wife was a brewer for a few years and they had to have Co2 alarms in the coolers...it was so strong sometimes you could smell the Co2 when you would go into the walk-in. Maybe a little homebrew...two birds one stone??

i've heard of growers brewing in nearby areas then venting in to the grow area, but i've never seen the set up myself. i've also head of brewers "collecting" the c02 for use in the grow area, but i've no clue how that would be accomplished.

I am a bit of an experimenter, and wanted to learn how to distill. So I did a lot of reading and gave it a try. I mix grains, sugar, water, and yeast in a bucket, along with some of the liquid from the previous distill run called "backset." It is acidic and makes the resulting mixture something called sour mash. The bucket will bubble releasing CO2 for about a week.

aside from making alcohol or brewing, there are a few home c02 methods.

Now for how this ties into growing. I've done this several times but the last grow, I think I have circumstantial evidence of it's effectiveness.

if you're running enough light it can help. it depends on personal choices whether is is worth the extra work and effort. if you're creating the c02 anyway, you might as well use it.

Note the CO2 bubbler on lower left. The plants on the right were farthest from the CO2 and were shorter and a lighter green.

nice work. bubbler is a little low to benefit the rest.

should note that c02 will pool lower down. you may be running 1400ppm up top, but it can hit 2 to 4 times that reading at a few inches off the ground. that is why it becomes dangerous to animals, as they take in the air lower down.
100%..I love my girl but no pets in the grow ever! She gave me the worst case of aphids once.

nice work. bubbler is a little low to benefit the rest.
Again not scientific, but I figure the fans are doing a good job of stirring up the CO2 in the space. My AC is mounted close to the floor so it is having some effect too in recirculating the CO2. It's set to recirculate as opposed vented.

My light is a HLG 600R covering a 4x4 space.

I recently did a cheap $2 home Co2 setup and IMHO it showed results. I used metal reflective tape on a empty 2 liter bottle, added 2 cups or sugar, and a packet of regular yeast. After I mixed the dry ingredients I gave the bottle a light shake and added 1 liter of bath warm water with a couple more light shakes of the bottle at the end. I made sure there was a small hole in the top of the bottle and I hung it up top on the far side away from the exhaust. It only generates a small amount of Co2 but I was told it would last roughly 2 weeks. I definitely saw a noticeable different in just the first 2 days. I was about 2 weeks into flower when I added the bottle.
Co2 is definitely a touchy subject with those I've talked to, at least wether increasing it is worth the hassle. Scientifically it definitely does make a difference, but without really putting in good chunk of cash and alot of effort to regulate it you're better off either using the cheapie home brew one like I did or trying the mushrooms. These may only add a small amount, but it's cheap and since its such a small amount of CO2 it shouldn't harm your plants during the off light hours.
This is my very first time growing anything other than facial hair. Thankfully these forums and the members in it have helped me through the process. It's fun, therapeutic, and a learning experience. Whether you use co2 or not it's nice to have members on here give you their advice on what's worth doing or not. Nothing beats experience and there's a hell of alot on these forums.

20220907_192913.jpg

20220831_130915.jpg

20220830_074218.jpg

Back
Top Bottom