Cold coming and bummed!

Bush Doctor 77

I've got 4 very large(multiple pound) plants in my greenhouse, and it's going down to 14F in a couple days. No way I can keep it warm enough for 2 1/2 days to save the crop, unless I go to extreme measures. My 3 propane heaters won't do it. The Gelato needs another week, and the others 2 weeks, at least. This is the earliest in the 7 years of my greenhouse that it will get so cold as to ruin my crop, even with my heaters. I will harvest early, and probably extract it.

Now, the good news. I've got plants indoors. This is the first time I've grown indoors since I put up the greenhouse. Lucky me!!!! Got Green Crack, Cheese, Cookies, and AK Choco Kush 3 weeks in bloom.

Tuesday night 25F, and the snow starts and temps drop. Won't get above freezing until Friday, and 13F Thursday night. High of 68F Tue, and 28F Wed. The farmers are screwed, big time. They haven't got a good alfalfa cutting yet, with the rain we've had, and the third cutting is almost ready. Frost will nail it.

cold.gif

I will harvest early, and probably extract it.
Hey Bush - How much do you figure you will lose - do you mean size or potency?? I have been taking bits and pieces for the past week or so just trying to stay ahead of the perils of mold and aphids. We had frost last nite but everyone was fine but the damn aphids also seemed to relish the temps, go figure!!

Hey Bush - How much do you figure you will lose - do you mean size or potency?? I have been taking bits and pieces for the past week or so just trying to stay ahead of the perils of mold and aphids. We had frost last nite but everyone was fine but the damn aphids also seemed to relish the temps, go figure!!
I won't be able to harvest prime bud. I'll also lose some weight, but it's hard to tell how much. Each plant will yeild 3-5 pounds, roughly. We've got snow coming, too. Several inches expected. This cold blob is setting up just like last spring. It will be warmer in Alaska than in Montana. 26F here for a high Wed in Billings, and 40F in Fairbanks, AK.

I am sorry to hear of your predicament. It is sad, good thing you have some indoors. Any chance those plants can be moved into your house? We have had some luck the last couple of years bringing plants indoors when the season turned unexpectedly nasty. But I expect your monsters are in huge, unmovable pots.

FP. :peace:

I am sorry to hear of your predicament. It is sad, good thing you have some indoors. Any chance those plants can be moved into your house? We have had some luck the last couple of years bringing plants indoors when the season turned unexpectedly nasty. But I expect your monsters are in huge, unmovable pots.

They are in the ground, with 3+inch stems. No way to bring them in. Wish I could. 8 inches of snow now predicted.

Wow that sucks. The only thing that comes to mind is "Smudge Pots" They have really cool ones they put in apple orchards. We also used a red neck version in the oil field to warm the shitters in extreme weather. Pretty simple to make the ones we used. just put some methanol in a metal coffee can and drop a piece of rag in it. Light the rag and a small fire will sit on the top. How much methanol you use and the size of the container has everything to do with how long they last.

Try a internet search on smudge pots and look and see if you can rig something up. Keep stuff away from it. It is a only a small flame but it still puts out lots of heat. (I melted a hole in a shitter once LMAO).

Another thing you could try is to cover the plants with plastic inside the greenhouse. That would give then 2 layers of insulation helping keep warmth in. Plus it would be easier to keep the temps up in the smaller space that a covered plant would have. Covering each plant with plastic and give it its own smudge pot might get you through a couple days. Good luck.

Hey Bush Doctor 77,

This is going to sound nuts but hear me out.

Earlier this year I boxed myself in with the 4 outdoor plant limit. I had 3 beautiful 4' plants that I ended up cutting down to 18" to fit in the tent. I tried to get the tops to root in an effort to save what I lopped off. In the end I wasn't successful, but those tops didn't wither and die immediately. One lasted weeks.

Those lopped tops might have rooted if I was more patient. I used clear garbage bags to make a humidity dome like you would with any clone. I know it's a long shot, but if you can't bring the whole plant in, maybe you could chop some off and bring it inside.

Sorry I didn't think of this earlier.

Wow that sucks. The only thing that comes to mind is "Smudge Pots" They have really cool ones they put in apple orchards. We also used a red neck version in the oil field to warm the shitters in extreme weather. Pretty simple to make the ones we used. just put some methanol in a metal coffee can and drop a piece of rag in it. Light the rag and a small fire will sit on the top. How much methanol you use and the size of the container has everything to do with how long they last.

Try a internet search on smudge pots and look and see if you can rig something up. Keep stuff away from it. It is a only a small flame but it still puts out lots of heat. (I melted a hole in a shitter once LMAO).

Another thing you could try is to cover the plants with plastic inside the greenhouse. That would give then 2 layers of insulation helping keep warmth in. Plus it would be easier to keep the temps up in the smaller space that a covered plant would have. Covering each plant with plastic and give it its own smudge pot might get you through a couple days. Good luck.
Below 15F for almost 20 hours, high winds and 10 inches of snow, so it won't warm up quick. I've use propane heaters in there before, but with 45,000 BTUs, I only gain about 5-7 degrees, and that is with no wind. 8 summer grows so far in the greenhouse, and usually I get down in the low 20s for a few hours near the end of the month. With 45,000BTUs, @ ambient 21F, I kept it about 28F in the greenhouse on the coldest I've had so far(no wind), and that was Oct 28th a few years ago. I want an 8mm poly-carbonate greenhouse!

I want an 8mm poly-carbonate greenhouse!
I did a successful winter grow in this without any added heat...I built an insulated box within the insulated GH...ran the lights @ night...only problem is that we can lose power and if that happens.... :oops:

Sorry the cold weather got your girls! Something that works great for me to avoid the early montana freeze is to SCROG my outdoor plants. I build a second frame that's mounted a foot or so above the plants. 3 to 4 weeks before our natural light cycle reaches 12/12, I start covering and uncovering with a blacked out tarp. Get them flowering hard and harvest in September. Get alot of nice solid colas n not much larfy shit. It is extra work but worth it to me!

Back
Top Bottom