Considering converting closet under stairs to grow room and abandoning my tent

Pinktiger777

Right now I grow in a 2X 2.5 tent (Gorilla Lite Line) under the stairs. The tent is small (!) and I can really only grow one plant in there at a time.
Of course, I'm not a commercial grower - I only grow for me. But I worry about a plant not working out and running out of my medicine.
What do you all think about my converting the entire area under the stairs to a grow room and getting rid of (or selling) the tent? Here are some photos. You can see the closet area is diminished by the stairs, especially in height, but if I had a way to get in there without the tent, it might be better.

How would I make the area smell-proof without a tent?

You could line it with panda film. You'd atleast get some of the lower space back but your stuck with it being on one time schedule. You could build another small enclosure inside of that at the bottom of the stairs for vegging lil ones.

If it had easier access, rather than one door, I probably would. I'm beginning to think I probably have it set up as well as I can, under the circumstances.
Thanks for the tip, though. I may try to find another location in my house and use Panda film to line the walls.

just chimin in, I just finished a grow last year in a closet just like that.... i wrapped inside with pink insulation board, then black 6 mill plastic taped to seal ... drop down plastic for door in the middle of door way as to be inside door... i took out shelf dropped a doubled over sheet of black plastic n da middle which made two growing medians... on a budget mind you... a corner shower type stand on either side in corner. lighted by 2 cfls per side.... several shelves and light difs to rotate in but also can develop a couple in late veg just on floor in buckets straight up.... grew 6 to 8 girls at all times for almost a year and a half

Hey tiger .... sorry been kinda frantic but any way keeping in mind you have your ventilation done ish , make sure you plan your electrical needs ahead of time for only you know what you have inside there. This set up is a really low cost, other than your lighting choices, for an under stair grow... Keeps temp and humidity consistent and smell way down with some cleverness on venting... Remember the stronger the light the more cost in a lot of ways but also the killer is heat.... that being said here is a general layout diagram..... i will check in on ya here and there... check out my journals if you like there are alot of people there and everywhere on here to help... pics as you know are always helpful... good luck and green wishes ........

Thanks so much, MaddHacker! This is perfect. I'm going to go for it, and get it complete after my next grow.

How do you seal the door, MaddHacker? This is the part that worries me the most. Can you put a tent-like material there with a zipper? Or just put good sealing around the edges and be sure not to open the door if the plants are asleep?

Ok on the door way thing I was living in a rental town home so with damage in mind i decided to staple plastic i had already bought by cutting two pieces that stretch from trim inside door jam top to floor plus two inches... the width being about two thirds from left side towards right side on top , behind two thirds coming from right side top to left side... thus they overlap by a third in middle thus allowing easy access and easy seal, for a small area like that mind you . the door will eventually close over the plastic on floor as you get used to forming that way before you shut door... sorry if i am too explanatory i just hit up my girl Tut.. lol good luck and happy harvest... Ps use some median for staple to plastic like a small piece of card board to be placed over plastic after rolling top two times so the plastic wont pull away from wood or through plastic ... 5/8 inch staples will do nicely... :ganjamon:

OK - So really, the main thing is to seal out light; the plastic over the doorway would create a seal because of the negative pressure with the exhaust and intake fans. A zippered opening isn't necessary for that. Is the plastic you have opaque?

Remember pink, you are not just sealing out light you are sealing in temp and humidity... controlling those in a lower grow like that is Very Important.... thus the double seal for me however I was extremely concerned about smell and such cause i lived in a communal area... If you are not concerned about that then you can just skip pink insualtion... I really believe for the price it does wonders for all things related temp and humidity...

Just came back upstairs after working with the grow. My consultant (unnamed family member) and I figured out that I couldn't get to the res if I had it over to the left side of the closet and used the entire height of the tent for the plants. So even if I change to DWC instead of my ebb and flow tray/res, the space is not really conducive to that kind of setup. So, for now, I'm kinda stuck with what I have. If I had my way, I would put up a larger tent in another spot, but nobody wants it out in the open in the house. It doesn't help that we are well-known and connected and friends with the local PD. LOL. Who has no inkling what I grow in my basement. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom