containers for soil - mine

cannilingus

hi all! i started growing, with twos. too small. i went up to three talls. now for a year or more, im on 4 gallon pots. i thought they were fives. but, i got curious, and filled up an old 3 tall, and poured it into one of my 4s. came 2" from the top. woopie. and i wonder why my yeild did not increase. lol. freind told me to go to sevens. anyway. my qwestion! i am thinking on trying a smart pot or two, and see if it really helps. currently, i would say i get two oz per plant. sometimes more, like with white rhino, or less, like with the strawberry blue. so what size smartpot, and what are your experiences with them? how much more yield did you get? thanks.

Re: containers for soil. mine.

I'd try it with a smart pot the same size as the ones you've been using, that way you will easily detect any differences in yield between the pots. I know the smart pots allow more air to the roots so the yield really shouldn't decrease

I use 7 gallon pots. Have a few smart pots but I prefer nursery style pots. I yield 8oz plus per plant. Take a look at my garden. I highly highly recommend 7's if you have the room.

I use 3 gallon SP with my autos... My last one in a 3 gallon SP pulled 3.5 oz dry.... I grow my photo girls in 5 gallon SP and my last harvest I averaged a little over 3 ounces a girl.. I found the root structure is much better with the SP than with standard nursery pots and I tried using felt pots and they are not the same as SP's.... I liked them better than standard pots but I like the SP's a whole lot better than any of them....:circle-of-love:

I've got the exact opposite Results. The reason is the top of the pot the fabric is too pliable. That creates a kinda sloppy top where the water doesn't want to saturate well.
Unless you spray lightly first.

I noticed very Lil difference in root growth however the air pots I've noticed alot difference.

If it's working for you don't change it. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

But to play devils advocate if you train heavily and spend extra time a small pot can yield huge. Look at light addicts current entry for plant of the month it's a 1 gallon I believe.

I train very Lil most Strains and yield lbs

so i was advised. im still on 4 gal. and, i generaly get only 1.5-2 oz per. 1200 watts of light. tried different ferts. yeild never changes. but, i do know, that with large root area, they will get large. outside, left two in pots. one in ground, in a 4' hole. it got 22 oz, dried. lol. so.,im going to get a pair, of 5 gal fiber pots. see how it works. i do have one 18 gallon, that i need to drill holes in, i can try. and give it its own 600 watt light. and, i think, a white rhino.

well, i am getting ready, to go from 4 regs, to 5 sps. you say reg 7s. how about i go with 7 sp?

say. what have you noticed, on your watering scedule, thats changed, with the use of smart pots? currently, depending on stage, i water every four days, i guess, in 4 regs.

Not sure what to make of it ?

Pot size vs yield etc its a bit of a strange idea for me to get my head around !

I use air pots 6.5 liter that is about 1.5 gallon, on a crude off the top of the head calculation.

009625.JPG

400w HPS for flowering only with 8 weeks of veg on average.

From strains grown myself...

Lower yielding strains average around 1 to 1.5 plus oz dry.

Higher yielding strains average around 2 to 3 plus oz dry.

So i'm really not to sure why your yield is low with given wattage... perhaps a low yield strain or length of veg period ?

maybe you should go up to five gal air pots? my veg varies. if i have empty space, under one of my lights, i will grab some out of veg, and slam em in. lol. but, on average, my gods are about 16" tall, when i flip em. sometimes, they are larger. like when my current bloom is not done yet. lol. at one time, i had five gods. and each one put out 3.5 oz. i have never duplicated that again. i may have vegged em longer. but, i do know, that more root area, is more fruit. so. think ill order some smart pots. five gallon. i was hoping to hear how much more watering is required, with the non standard pots? any more often, for you?

With air pots my own 6.5 liters i found watering once in early veg and twice weekly in late veg was pretty ok.

Flowering with average temp 27c i would have to water to the point of run off every 3rd day the soil/compost would be pretty near be dry by then.

Air pots take a little bit more watering vs standard flower pots as they can dry out a little faster... more of an issue with smaller pot size's tho !

I'd love 5 gallon pots myself but the lil 90cm by 90cm grow tent i use would not fit very many in i'm afraid, how ever i am ordering the 10 liter / 2.5 gallon air pots soon :Namaste:

well. the more roots your plant has, the more tools it has, to take up nutrients, and build fruit. i usually get, with regular four gallon pots, about 2 oz per plant. when i took two of em outside, last season, to grow, i left em in the pots. i got a about 2.5 oz from each one. so. the sun did not do shit. neither did the plant, being stuck in a small root bound container. my plants i put in the ground, one got 22 oz! it was put in a four ft wide hole i dug, and filled with potting soil. the other plant, gave me ten oz. it was in a hole, that was less than 2 ft wide. does this help? so. if i make the hole six feet wide, this year, i should get two lbs.....

Back
Top Bottom