Creating a clone from a plant in late flowering

Geets McWagon

420 Member
Hello,
I decided after sampling an early bud to clone my plant. There are not branches without buds on them. I finally clipped the lowest, most immature-yet-healthy looking branch, but of course it has a bud on the end of it. I have had it in a glass of water, and it looks fine and alive, but now one of the leaves is starting to yellow. I would very much appreciate some advice as to what I should do (if anything) with the bud, in order that I can successfully get this clipping back into the vegetative stage. There isn't a whole lot out there on the Net regarding this issue.
Thanks in advance!

Treat it like a regular clone. You've already chopped a branch off the plant you want, now you need to plant it (in soil or soilless medium rather than plain water). Use a cloning solution or powder to help it root. Doesn't matter if you take a clone in veg or flower, it works the same.

Treat it like a regular clone. You've already chopped a branch off the plant you want, now you need to plant it (in soil or soilless medium rather than plain water). Use a cloning solution or powder to help it root. Doesn't matter if you take a clone in veg or flower, it works the same.

Thank you!

Hi again,
What about light? It has been at 12/12. Do I ease it back to 18/6, or...? Tia, -Geets

18/6 will work, a humidity dome of some sort and a seedling mat help immensely. I’ve only cloned at most 2 weeks into flower so...I cut the buds off when I cloned and it seems to help.

It will reveg and look odd for a while once rooted.

Thank you guys, that's encouraging. I was wondering what to do about the buds (now there are 3, haha), and I decided it would be fine to clip them off. It's either going to take root or not... but maybe I should wait till then before clipping them? Or would clipping them right away help facilitate taking root?

Have any of you ever harvested a plant, but left the main stalk in the soil, and tried to start over with veg? How does it work, and any tips?

Thank you guys, that's encouraging. I was wondering what to do about the buds (now there are 3, haha), and I decided it would be fine to clip them off. It's either going to take root or not... but maybe I should wait till then before clipping them? Or would clipping them right away help facilitate taking root?

Have any of you ever harvested a plant, but left the main stalk in the soil, and tried to start over with veg? How does it work, and any tips?
Personally I've just given the tips of the flowers a haircut but left the main bulk of the bud. Aslong as there are a few leaves, also with a little bit of a haircut.

Do you guys think I should wait to clip them until I'm sure it has taken root? I don't want to add more stress to her already stressful situation... Also, I still have the clone in my 12/12 light area; did you guys just instantly ramp the light back up to 18/6 (or the veg hours you like), or did you do it gradually over time?

Yes it is known as monster cropping, when you clone a branch from a flowering plant, and yes it will revert back into a vegetative state. The plant that grows from it will be very different from the flowering mother you took the clone from, but in a very good way. It will be a monstrously big and produce many colas and flowers, your going to like what develops from that clone.

Took some in about week 2 to 3 and didn't use anything like rooting powder or humidity dome.

Took them and stuck them directly into soil uncovered and sat in indirect window light. When the leaves dried...spritzed them with water. Kept doing that constantly and at sleep time lightly laid plastic wrap over them to not dry out while sleeping and then started spritzing them next day.

Took 3 clones, but one died, because the clone was from a shoot that was too immature and failed. They rooted fine and what higherthehigh said is true. After rooting they strain with growth energy.

Thought to add this. The flowering clone will revert to veg, but it will look a bit odd. My Durbans started making 1, 2, and going into 3 bladed leaves. So the leaf growth might look a bit weird.

Someone did (apologies for not remembering user name) successfully re-vegged a Jack Herer Auto and their reveg behaved the same as my clones. Odd leaf structure.

Maybe you can find the autoflower reveg thread and see what their plant looked like?

Hello anyone who remembers this thread (or even if not). Just a bit of an update and some kind of amazing photos... So, the clipping I took ended up dying (my fault I think, because I didn't put it in soil quickly enough). However, since I had left my plant growing and there were still a couple of live shoots, I just kept taking care of it, took the remaining buds off, then instantly ramped the light back up to 18/6.

It is now about 3 months later. I took the light back to 12/12 starting May 1 (I moved it an hour a day, even though that is probably not necessary... potentially less stress for the plant?) ... Anyway, the pics are from around that time, and the last one was taken today, about 2 weeks into flowering. I have to say that even though I think it did get nitrogen poisoning at one point, it seems much healthier than my last attempt, haha. I think I'm quite a bit calmer and trusting of the process than last time.

Those of you who talked about mutations were right; it happened with some of my early leaves, but now they look pretty normal. Since the main vegetation started higher on a stalk I left, the plant is quite tall. It is also very bushy, just like you guys predicted. It seems like the 2nd time around, the plant is much more willing to grow branches - so cool, lots and lots of bud sites. I wonder whether if I always leave a growing stem, I can just keep letting it grow back? Anyone have a plant that they just leave in the pot and keep feeding & harvesting, year after year? Curious... With a life cycle of 2 months veg and 7-8 weeks flowering, one could harvest about 3 times a year! Nice... (and btw, T5 lights work killer, imo; I replace 2 of the 4 tubes with 3000K red ones for the flowering stage)

Check out the pics, and zoom in on the buds forming in the last one... Pineapple Express... the last batch was quite potent, but allowed for mental focus, enough to even function with work. The drawback was a body high that made it hard to walk sometimes, and clumsy (esp. if taken via edible -- super nice stone for 4-5 hrs a pop). About 5 more weeks to go! IMG_2024.JPGIMG_2021.JPGIMG_2022.JPGIMG_2076.JPGIMG_2213.JPG

Back
Top Bottom