Dark Devil Auto: A Community Grow Record

Hi Sue,
The one in front is DDA. The other two are Thunderstruck. They just broke ground this morning.

I never know

DSCN20695.JPG

I'll tell you what you do know Canyon.....you know you're in for some incredibly euphoric moments in about three months. :laughtwo:

Welcome little ones. :love:

Rumor has it that the greener pheno is more potent. No way to verify that, since it all gets you totally blasted, so how does one quantify the differences? :laughtwo:

My guess is green leaves are more efficient at turning the light energy we give them into chemical energy within the plants. If green leaves reflect green light maybe red leaves reflect red light and that is likely to be where our flowering lights are strongest and could help to explain why purple strains don't usually do so well when measured against grams per watt or potency.

dda2904.jpg

My DDA is looking a little pale as she adjusts to being in soil that I think was a bit too dry to transplant into. Seems perky enough and has her leaves aimed at the light so I'm not too worried. Hopefully will get some side branches though.

:passitleft:

I'm planning on making some Dark Devil Blondies when I'm on vacation the week of the 15th but just the colour of the flowers and the leaves is enough to make me want to grow more of them. They're definitely the prettiest ones I've seen in real life. I also want to try a Blueberry Haze as it looks beautiful, too:

blueberry-haze1.jpg

Well, that made me smile. I love to hear that this joyful community inspired yet another cultivator to be seduced by the DDA. :cheesygrinsmiley: :green_heart:

Good, I've been waiting to watch some grow out under Sol. I hear you have some decent temps this spring. That should play to your favor WestCose. Thank you so much for choosing to share your joy with us. I personally can't get enough of the many ways members have grown them and how happy everyone is with them.

I've been blessed to grow two of the more exciting strains, and to be able to get others excited about both. This strain is definately the star, if only for the colors. Get the hallucinogenic euphoria and you'll never walk away. :laughtwo:

Actually guys, do we have anyone who grew them unhappily and didn't plant them at the next opportunity? :hmmmm:

My guess is green leaves are more efficient at turning the light energy we give them into chemical energy within the plants. If green leaves reflect green light maybe red leaves reflect red light and that is likely to be where our flowering lights are strongest and could help to explain why purple strains don't usually do so well when measured against grams per watt or potency.

dda2904.jpg

My DDA is looking a little pale as she adjusts to being in soil that I think was a bit too dry to transplant into. Seems perky enough and has her leaves aimed at the light so I'm not too worried. Hopefully will get some side branches though.

An interesting supposition Kushtie. Hadn't considered it from that direction. Yeah....those purple buds pack a whallop for their size, so harvest yield is never how I rate my grows of DDA. I rate them on a potency scale. It's fun when you have a variety running in different mediums. It becomes more of a choice then. :laughtwo:

This time I'm looking forward to drying the harvest in the fridge, so I anticipate a more intense effect.

Aside from color she looks ready to go. I'll be interested in seeing how long it takes her to green up.

I'm planning on making some Dark Devil Blondies when I'm on vacation the week of the 15th but just the colour of the flowers and the leaves is enough to make me want to grow more of them. They're definitely the prettiest ones I've seen in real life. I also want to try a Blueberry Haze as it looks beautiful, too:

blueberry-haze1.jpg

Hmmm.... Does the blueberry have a blueberry flavor? Just curious. I have a recipe for lemon blueberry muffins. I was thinking Blueberry might be an interesting strain in that recipe. :laughtwo: The DDA makes tasty brownies, and they're so dark they look decadent. Are you following my recipe or using a strained oil?

An interesting supposition Kushtie. Hadn't considered it from that direction. Yeah....those purple buds pack a whallop for their size, so harvest yield is never how I rate my grows of DDA. I rate them on a potency scale. It's fun when you have a variety running in different mediums. It becomes more of a choice then. :laughtwo:

This time I'm looking forward to drying the harvest in the fridge, so I anticipate a more intense effect.

Aside from color she looks ready to go. I'll be interested in seeing how long it takes her to green up.

Aye, think I've only weighed 2 of the 5 DDA & RPA I've run so far. It's all about the taste....and the effect.....and the eye candy.....come-folks-lets-see-some-eye-candy-heres-some-ya.

Here's hoping I get some nice DDA for a wee macro safari......same with the Bloody Skunk Auto next to her.:high-five:

The one I left in aeroponics is the one I'm chasing yield numbers with.....280g with Auto Gorilla OG to beat and there are others trying with LED lights and expensive nutrient line ups. Time to find out how much I was sandbagging by last time as I didn't run an air hose to the NFT pump or push the res as hard as I could to get that 280g, and could have probably let her go a bit longer.

Does bud dry in a fridge? Don't think I'll get one in the attic but have a powered coolbox I could use and a couple of chances to try it before my next DDA harvest.

Aye, think I've only weighed 2 of the 5 DDA & RPA I've run so far. It's all about the taste....and the effect.....and the eye candy.....come-folks-lets-see-some-eye-candy-heres-some-ya.

Here's hoping I get some nice DDA for a wee macro safari......same with the Bloody Skunk Auto next to her.:high-five:

The one I left in aeroponics is the one I'm chasing yield numbers with.....280g with Auto Gorilla OG to beat and there are others trying with LED lights and expensive nutrient line ups. Time to find out how much I was sandbagging by last time as I didn't run an air hose to the NFT pump or push the res as hard as I could to get that 280g, and could have probably let her go a bit longer.

Does bud dry in a fridge? Don't think I'll get one in the attic but have a powered coolbox I could use and a couple of chances to try it before my next DDA harvest.

It's a technique DrZiggy came up with. You need a frost-free refrigerator at about 39 degrees F and 35% humidity. Have the lids screened to allow airflow and give them at least two weeks. They retain all of the color (flavonoids) and just about all the flavor and smell (terpenes). Best high I've gotten so far from my Carnival. I only have one tiny bud of that left. I started smoking it and set everything else aside.

If the DDA does the same I'm in for a real treat.

Be forewarned, it smells in that refrigerator something fierce. Still working on a way to control the smell, if that's an issue. In my case it's not.

Is it the one next to the purple one? I recognize the leaves. She may surprise you and turn purple yet. I've had it happen as late as a few days from harvest, just not to the extent the others do. More of a dirty purple, and the leaves didn't stain at all. That was my first one, and come to think of it, my strongest oil of all that I've grown, without doctoring to potentiate.

She may turn out to be the best treat of all Crocodoc. :cheesygrinsmiley:

No it is/was the one on the right hand. She has moved to a new home now, where there is more room for her to spread her wings and fly. I will have pictures of that later, i harvested the bigger dark devil too a few days ago. I will have Pictures of that later too and some Info about Final Dry and wet weight:)

Her are my Harvest results for my second DDA grown so far.

-Particular harvested in two stages at an age of 86 Days
-first Harvest: 82g wet (2,89oz), 21g dry (0,74oz)
-second harvest: 372g wet (13,21oz), 95g dry (3,35oz)

prepare to harvest:
IMG_20170426_125617014.jpg
IMG_20170426_131828166.jpg

while harvesting
IMG_20170426_170310420_HDR.jpg

dry Bud
IMG_20170427_183711504.jpg

Her Trichromes
IMG_20170426_125858737.jpg

Now that's a nice size DDA up there Crocodoc :) Good job!

Sue, I meant to ask you the other day.. What size pots are you finishing out your DDA's in? Have you tried various sizes? I transplanted mine yesterday into a 1 gallon container for this time around. I really pondered on putting it into a 5gal bucket but didn't bother, I still have more seeds :) I also didn't have any other sizes to choose from at the moment lol

Here she is at day 13 after the transplant to her final home. I usually top at the same time as transplanting but she wasn't quite ready for that, few more days maybe!

SAM_4636.JPG
SAM_46371.JPG

420-magazine-mobile1418454380.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1399964222.jpg

Day 22 still nothing going on she grew maybe 1/2" in the last 5 days !!! This strain really does make you think your doing something wrong. When I know not I baby this plant I focus most of my time on it wanting to see the whole grow process here!! This is my first auto strain so I'm new to this I've grown 100s of photo period plants never a Auto so I'm all new to the idea we will see her w it goes from here. Live-Love-Learn

Now that's a nice size DDA up there Crocodoc :) Good job!

Sue, I meant to ask you the other day.. What size pots are you finishing out your DDA's in? Have you tried various sizes? I transplanted mine yesterday into a 1 gallon container for this time around. I really pondered on putting it into a 5gal bucket but didn't bother, I still have more seeds :) I also didn't have any other sizes to choose from at the moment lol

Here she is at day 13 after the transplant to her final home. I usually top at the same time as transplanting but she wasn't quite ready for that, few more days maybe!

SAM_4636.JPG
SAM_46371.JPG

If I start my seeds in Rapid Rooter plugs I plant them directly into the 5-gallon finish pots as soon as they begin to move out of the soil. Autos have an aggressive root system that doesn't like transplanting, and it's recommended you plant them in the pot you intend to finish in. Using the kit makes this easier for me, since the seeds pretty much spring out of the soil in record time.

You'll see reduced yields in a one gallon, unless you work the nutrients as a fine tune. I had a run where I grew in azalea pots, and although the yield was small, it was potent as hell.

Her are my Harvest results for my second DDA grown so far.

dry Bud
IMG_20170427_183711504.jpg

Her Trichromes
IMG_20170426_125858737.jpg

You got four ounces from her! Well done buckaroo! :high-five:

Thanks Bro!

As promised, some Pictures of my third DDA, hopefully a green Phenotype till the very end :love:
She is now 54 Days old
IMG_20170501_171454515.jpg
IMG_20170501_171538196.jpg
IMG_20170501_171547861.jpg
IMG_20170501_171553981.jpg
IMG_20170501_171621926.jpg
IMG_20170501_171642316.jpg
IMG_20170501_171705844.jpg

She bears a strong resemblance to my own sativa dominant plant. You may well have a green pheno. :woohoo: Mine went purple at around this time and yours shows no signs of purple at all, from the looks of the pictures.

Day 22 still nothing going on she grew maybe 1/2" in the last 5 days !!! This strain really does make you think your doing something wrong. When I know not I baby this plant I focus most of my time on it wanting to see the whole grow process here!! This is my first auto strain so I'm new to this I've grown 100s of photo period plants never a Auto so I'm all new to the idea we will see her w it goes from here. Live-Love-Learn

Have faith LTS, she's right on schedule and looking mighty fine. Every one of us, at one point or another, looks at ours and says "Get on with it already!" :laughtwo:

I think, if you begin to train this strain early, you can have some really good results. Autos go in flower after some time by them selfs. So you need to prepare them for their flower stretch, where this strain gains a lot of vertical growth. Train early means more branches with even more internodes. I´d like to begin with training when they are about the same height as yours. They are very flexible then, and it is easy to bend them really hard without breaking them

Ok good to know Sue, thank you. I should have went with the 5 gallon bucket but I also have a lot going on in the garden right now. Next bean I pop of this strain will go into the 5gallon for sure. I will also have to pick up some rapid rooters / peat pellets for doing the auto's. Was just talking about it the other day in another thread about how handy the pellets are for autoflower strains so you can just plop them into their final home. Should be going to the city this week for a grocery run, will pick up some then to have on hand, I may even start germinating all my plants that way, not sure why I haven't already haha. Thanks again for the tips Sue!

Ok good to know Sue, thank you. I should have went with the 5 gallon bucket but I also have a lot going on in the garden right now. Next bean I pop of this strain will go into the 5gallon for sure. I will also have to pick up some rapid rooters / peat pellets for doing the auto's. Was just talking about it the other day in another thread about how handy the pellets are for autoflower strains so you can just plop them into their final home. Should be going to the city this week for a grocery run, will pick up some then to have on hand, I may even start germinating all my plants that way, not sure why I haven't already haha. Thanks again for the tips Sue!

I've been thinking the same thing Dick, because that way I can start the seeds about three days before I harvest. It's also a nice way to conserve energy. Don't fill the pot with soil until something is definately sprouting. In a small space with tight timelines this can be valuable.

I believe they stabilize my hempies too, a benefit I wasn't expecting. Tead sprouts in perlite, but then he lives with ridiculously high humidity. I don't have that kind of faith in my abilities to do the same. Lol! Thank you Rapid Rooters. :love:

My success with them may have as much to do with the aloe. I soak my plugs in aloe and water.

In my hempy grow I also sprouted in perlite, but the basement humidity was higher then (during spring/summer) and I think that is why I had some issues this winter keeping my hempy seedlings growing. With the furnace running in the winter humidity drops like crazy in the basement, once I have my rooms sealed up some I will try hempies again for sure, I have lots here to work with. Just tweaking all the little things to find what works best for me :) I have found that my auto's respond a lot better in the hempies and grow larger.

In my hempy grow I also sprouted in perlite, but the basement humidity was higher then (during spring/summer) and I think that is why I had some issues this winter keeping my hempy seedlings growing. With the furnace running in the winter humidity drops like crazy in the basement, once I have my rooms sealed up some I will try hempies again for sure, I have lots here to work with. Just tweaking all the little things to find what works best for me :) I have found that my auto's respond a lot better in the hempies and grow larger.

Oh yeah? I got a decent two ounces from my DDA hempy, and she was soooo dark and fragrant. Mmmmmm...... I'll have to schedule in a run with two DDA hempy pots and use the soil for a couple CBD autos with high CBD levels. :hmmmm: These hempy grows keep surprising me. I'm starting to grow really pretty plants with them, and every one has given me fabulous results, even given the pests they had to deal with.

The hempies are very nice producers and I have not forgot about them. My first indoor grow with them were the best looking ladies I have grown to date, you can check them out in my sig, candy cane and amnesia haze. I haven't had a plant frost up quite like them ones yet from growing in promix, it was crazy. Now all this talk about it is making me want to start one, I have the buckets ready to go when needed lol. It will be in the plans for sure very soon!

I also like the CBD strains that have been coming out lately and they all seem to be very vigorous growers. I have harvested a CB Dream, have another in flower now along with a CB Dutch Treat. And, in the veg room I have a CBD Jam and Purple-Orange CBD. They are all very vigorous growers, more than most of my other plants. CBD Jam looks like it will be a winner, growing the fastest out of 6 started at the same time in veg room.

Back
Top Bottom