DaveyBoy's Second Grow - Casey Jones - Organic - Soil - DR80 - 400W MH & HPS

Re: DaveyBoy's second grow - Casey Jones, organic, soil, DR80, 400w MH and HPS

Ok. DR100 up. Currently has some cuttings from each plant in it on 12/12 for the 3rd day. So far only one is showing pistils, but will see. Foliage feeding to keep alive as haven't used rooting hormone.

Am advised it's worse legally to have clones than grow from seed, so some careful thought required.

Over weekend will move cooltube and fan and then install fan and 250w of CFL in the DR80.

Will be going to use colloidal silver to go for fem seeds. Happy with 70 day flower .for the quality of product.

Next research step is drying :)

Drying and curing is the true art, good genes grow themselves pretty much but they dont cure themselves. and if you make fem'ed seed make sure not to try to seed it again its the fastest way to make a herm in the world

Cuttings for seeing... semi fail as only two showing pistils as yet.

IMAG2544.jpg

Three in the new DR100. Girl on the right. Others as yet unknown.

IMAG2549.jpg

DR80 looking a lot less crowded now.

IMAG2552.jpg

Ok, update.

Flicked DR100 onto 12/12, but have to switch out MH to HPS today.

Treated plants A and B with 30 PPM colloidal silver on a branch each day before and last 2 days.

Plant B def female, hoping A shows some pistils when I check again today. Both were LST but have removed all ties for now. Debating a re-pot to 15's.

Plants 1 and 5 are also in there, and will start the executions if showing male pre-flowers.

DR80 now has 5 seedlings and perhaps a dozen clones that were originally for sexing, but took some extras from plant B for result next stage. There are also plants 2,3 and 4 in with them.

All plants look happier with more space.

Taking a few days break and one of my many jobs is writing my grow plan based on vegging perhaps up to 6 and flowering same number at any given time.

Have uploaded pics and will embed some later, maybe even take individual portraits.

Fave pic of my own plants.

IMAG2565.jpg

Was fimmed once.

IMAG2566.jpg

Plants now on night cycle in the day to balance the temps.

Due to the 70 day flower time of the Casey I think I'll try and get as many as six in at a time and queue up some Cheese or other shirt term strain on the go.

Had to buy more supplies and it's crippling. Oh well, all good things etc.

Minor party for me and wifey, celebration of life with weed, Wii and our friend Mr Daniels.

Checked Dr100 and seems A and B are female.1 and 5 yet to show.

Happy :)

Going to enjoy a bit of QT and do this properly in the week.

Simply awesome. Your driving the train now.

things are looking great man keep it up

Now have 5 confirmed females in flower and 2 unknowns in veg. Have 5 seedlings and just put 2 Tangerine dream and an Emerald Jack into wet paper towel to pop.

May see if I can get some of these promised blue skies and 2000w per square foot :)

Considering a little scrog research now. If I can canopy the 6 or 7 and maximise the space I can veg the new crowd for the next 10 weeks.

Will try and post more pics later, with a proper camera.

Simply awesome. Your driving the train now.

Thanks, feeling confident :)

things are looking great man keep it up

Cheers mate, I've sprayed A and B with colloidal silver and waiting on male flowers. Is it perhaps a good idea to cut off the branch as flowers develop then put in a root riot plug or glass of water to develop elsewhere? If so I may isolate them for peace of mind.

You've sprayed a few branches with silver, and now consider cutting them to root as independant plants? I know, beans are pricey but so is the tent, light & HEPA air filtration set-up that you'll need to avoid pollination of your main crop.
I grow clones only, from moms that can live with vegging croppers and cuttings in one 24/7 tent. I've grown no hermaphrodites nor any seed since I left bagseed behind. Genetics is by far the most significant factor leading to a happy harvest. Pros did breeding for us, so I bought some. My main strain Pineapple Express came to me as a single fem seed bonus freebie about 18 months ago. I've cut and grown many since, and now have fourth or fifth generation moms with no changes that I can see. Everybody lucky enough to taste it loves it except me; I prefer to smoke heavy indicas, and grow a few for home stash. Their moms also stay bonsai small from regular trimming and replacement.
To grow happy crops with limited resource, cull the old, weak and ugly :party:

Hi Prop, thanks for dropping in.

Am sure it's all insanity and you'll be shaking your head in dismay, but my thought was I could cut the CS'd branches and then put them in a box with a lamp far from the tents and collect pollen when ready. Was going to try to freeze some and dust a branch or two with a small paint brush. Would do this in a separate area that doesn't share airflow. Not too worried about loss of quality on that one plant if I get lots of fem seed. Should have plenty for our uses still.

Your method makes perfect sense, and had I more time I'd use it to be more targeted. but I want to get good on this strain so going to need basic growing practice and I'll get a better understanding and feel with repetition. Also as this is purely a personal grow (don't advertise I smoke due to job) and that I don't find myself the best person for cloning due to shortage of time I am not concerned that some things take longer. Paradoxically it seems that my planned perpetual grow will take longer overall but with less direct and consistent effort on a daily basis, which far better suits me.

Would like to see what other meds I can get a consistent menu of options in-house. Not fond of chemicals at all I.e pain relief, stress, depression et al. So also beneficial to get my sprouting practice on :)

And you're right can't afford Hepa

And root block suggestion wasn't really because i want to root them, just keep alive til pollen ready. I tried rooting in water before and failed with it. Think was some sort of sort somewhere as clone went slimy. Noob error am sure. didn't want to replicate the error whilst trying to keep it alive.

i think the root block idea is a good one make sure you use a light nute solution when you do like clonex because a plant that is flowering pulls in a lot of nutes but they actually root pretty fast, i have a bad habbit of cutting like all my clones off of 1-2 wk flowering plants. propa is right imo keep those things away from your crop maybe even in a shed outside if you can and bring your female into the room with the male not vise versa

And root block suggestion wasn't really because i want to root them, just keep alive til pollen ready. I tried rooting in water before and failed with it. Think was some sort of sort somewhere as clone went slimy. Noob error am sure. didn't want to replicate the error whilst trying to keep it alive.

Not really 'dropping in', I've followed this thread daily though I post rarely. Not trying to bully you either, Davey. Trying to save you from some hassle that I've bought and couldn't return.
Cuttings have never created new growth for me in cups of water, even though they've stayed alive for 2 or 3 weeks. They need roots to grow. I too have been unable to get them to root in stagnant water, even semi-regularly changed. When I simply cut, trim and stick cuttings in wet coir, new growth starts in about one week to ten days. Simple and effective; no 'misting' nor humidity covers. T-8 flourescent shoplights with high CRI tubes, 8 sq ft lit with 128 watts is my moms and babies light on their closet shelf. A tiny fan moves the air in there just enough, and that closet door stays open to my room. Me and my cat supply CO2 and methane ;)
I use 3.5" sq pots that fit 18 in a standard 1020 tray, for cuttings. I don't know the metric equivalents used in your neck of the woods, but they must exist for commercial nurseries. Many cannabis growers buy a lot of overpriced crap, thinking that there is some special, unique need. They are simple stoners. Cannabis grows like weeds, and is as tough as English roses.

Not really 'dropping in', I've followed this thread daily though I post rarely. Not trying to bully you either, Davey. Trying to save you from some hassle that I've bought and couldn't return.

Sorry, bad terminology on my part. Very much appreciate the support and help the last few months. My desire to grow was sparked by prices (310-450 dollars an ounce roughly), stress levels on my part and post natal depression on my wife's and then the death of my mother.

Gave me direction and your support since my first grow has been most welcome, I wish I could do something back. I will have to make do with thanking you again instead! :Rasta:

Cuttings have never created new growth for me in cups of water, even though they've stayed alive for 2 or 3 weeks. They need roots to grow. I too have been unable to get them to root in stagnant water, even semi-regularly changed. When I simply cut, trim and stick cuttings in wet coir, new growth starts in about one week to ten days. Simple and effective; no 'misting' nor humidity covers. T-8 flourescent shoplights with high CRI tubes, 8 sq ft lit with 128 watts is my moms and babies light on their closet shelf. A tiny fan moves the air in there just enough, and that closet door stays open to my room. Me and my cat supply CO2 and methane ;).

Haha, well the tents are now out of our bedroom, thank goodness, but they have less CO2 than the White Russians.

Must look at CO2 research, but didn't think there would be enough difference for the amount of time and effort I'd need to spend. Genuinely too busy :(

I use 3.5" sq pots that fit 18 in a standard 1020 tray, for cuttings. I don't know the metric equivalents used in your neck of the woods, but they must exist for commercial nurseries. Many cannabis growers buy a lot of overpriced crap, thinking that there is some special, unique need. They are simple stoners. Cannabis grows like weeds, and is as tough as English roses.

Any idea what thread I should see, or can you link me a pic of your cutting area? With the DR80 and DR100 I have little much space left and have to be careful about things as laws have changed slightly.

If it was thought that I am growing to sell or provide other's it would go badly for me (also depends on area, I am advised, can make a lot of difference) hence the lack of desire to follow your sage advice. With the 5 flowering facing another 63 or so days I may end up with a small SOG in the DR80 because it will take too long to wait to use the flower tent.

Could help me out as it means we'll be well supplied and have a super stash.

We can manage a gram a day average (some nights a lot less, some more) quite happily, but have to be well below if we can due to the ridiculous prices the commercial boys are charging.

Got me some coir for the lawn, to mix with grass seed. Miracle Grow patch magic was a fecking expensive investment so now doing it on the cheap. Will use a little and try and plant out a few more cuttings as I am now thinning out the plants.

Had to toss out what could have been twenty clones in sheer paranoia.

I work hard, lots of hours, support my family and have to suffer the stress and concern about being nicked for something that doesn't sponsor crime or hurt anyone else.

Mini-rant over.

i think the root block idea is a good one make sure you use a light nute solution when you do like clonex because a plant that is flowering pulls in a lot of nutes but they actually root pretty fast, i have a bad habbit of cutting like all my clones off of 1-2 wk flowering plants. propa is right imo keep those things away from your crop maybe even in a shed outside if you can and bring your female into the room with the male not vise versa

Good plan.

Weird thing is I see now male flowers yet... and I was sorta high and after re-potting A and B into 15 litre rounds and then tying them down I forgot which branches had been CS'd.

Am going to check daily until I see the balls, then get to work.

Nice point about bringing the female to the male.

The cuttings I took are all going well save for 1 that died. No visible root mass yet, but they look very happy. Sprayed daily in the morning before sleepy time with leaf green, a little mist of water on the root blocks and jiffy pellets. These are sat now under the tray of 5 seedlings with 1 red and 1 blue 125w cfl, vegging 2 more Casey's.

One of the casey has got purple stems, the other still green.

Pics tomorrow, if I can!

Ok, this is half of what I want to do, but it's now sleepytime so I have to wait til tonight or tomorrow morning for more pics than these few -

DR100 with 5 plants, untied. These have since been LST once all were shown as females. See third pic for immediately after they were tied down again.

IMAG2722.jpg

Have decided to run with a dual spectrum bulb and keep the HPS and MH spare in case it breaks on me.

IMAG2726.jpg

This is post LST, about 2-3 days ago.

IMAG2761.jpg

5 more Casey about to get a transplant.

IMAG2763.jpg

DR80 with one red and one blue 125w CFL. The home made reflector can take a third bulb if I decide to go to flower in here.

IMAG2764.jpg

Clones today

IMAG2767.jpg

Have fimmed the 5 small Casey a day or so ago

IMAG2770.jpg

Next two are an Emerald Jack and a Tangerine Dream.

EJ was a freebie with the TD's. Bought three and got four free fem seeds. Result :)

IMAG2774.jpg

IMAG2775.jpg

More pics to come later. Have re-pot the 5 Casey into blue pots.

Research point will be optimum plant times from cup to 11/15 litre end pot, when I find some of that imaginary spare time!

Here it is, was still queued on phone.

Will aim to do a proper update with my wife's Canon for more detail.

IMAG2781.jpg

Back
Top Bottom