DB's First Grow, White Russian Clones and Mystery Bagseed

Well... am afraid I've had a change of heart.

Am moving to a new 400w HPS for the rest of the flower. Am now into 3 weeks and 2 days of flowering and have been reliably informed I'll get half the yield or less if I stick with the CFLs, so have invested in an alternative.

The CFLs will be great for my veg room when I move house in the new year, as it happens I may convert the hall cupboard into a veg room, as the cardboard box won't cut it.

Will stick up some pics of the new setup later on, or soon. Something of a shame, but as I'm growing for myself and wifey, we want the best crop we can get.

Still not going with molasses for weight, as I said before it's all about the THC :smokin:

*grins* Yeah.

Showed some pics to the business owner at the hydro shop and this time he wasn't blinded by too much smoking and told me to swap to HPS... ballast, bulb and cool tube set me back £110, but feck it that's the cost of half an ounce of good weed.

This should pay itself back and more, so speculate to accumulate!

I'm told it all starts happening in week four... roll on explosive bud growth!!!

Trying to find out how far above my plants I should hang it, any quick pointers would be appreciated as it's soon lights out and I may be out when they're on again tomorrow morning... don't want to come back to cooked plants.

Read you should have it so you can have your hand under for around a minute at the same height as the tops of the plants... if it burns, so will they.

Have done so, and added a couple of inches to be safe and will see what humidity and temp are tomorrow morning.

Am running the fan 15 on, 15 off, currently, seems to work ok. Even with fan off the tube isn't getting too hot.

Humidity is varying with duration, the hotter lamp seems to be drying the soil faster too.

Question: Whilst watering do I use same nutes every water, or just 1 feed per week, with plain water the rest of the time? Will the plants use these nutes?

Anyway... Last night I was taking off some of the lower limbs and ended up taking off a couple of unnecessary branches and quick dried the buds in the micro in ten second blasts.

OMG I hear you cry... wtf?!?!?!?

Well we're desperate here... no weed anywhere, let alone crap weed and this was our first smoke in about a week, and that previous smoke was about the same time. Got a nice high, though, and still felt the effects somewhat this morning :eek:

Although I know if they'd stayed on the plant we'd have 5 times that at the end of the grow it's useless to me now... glad I did it, as is my poor stressed wife.

Currently she has suffered depression, as I said at the start I work far too much and have far too little time. Not my choice, but the job market right now isn't great. The weed takes the edge off and makes everything a lot easier and it also helps me deal with my high stress levels from working for a man who has incredibly unrealistic expectations.

Some people say weed can increase depression, but as far as I am concerned it's better to smoke than drink, and that's the only other choice.

I've been depressed, and was on prozac but realised it was crap and useless, so I changed my diet and started to exercise which cured me. A small shift in perspective and being grateful every day helps.

My wife has prescription meds (Citalopram) which assist, but a nice bit of bud makes it all peachy.

Anyway, I don't want to have to be having criminal links or trying to buy on the street and get a fistful of crap.

New HPS in place

IMAG1281.jpg

Dodgy, I know, but I had to jury rig the thing.. couldn't face taking it all apart and starting over. If I run out of room I'll do something.

IMAG1283.jpg

A nice brandy and port and a bit of fast dried White Russian makes Dave a happy boy.

IMAG1303.jpg

In the grinder. Lol, pathetic but so very welcome!

IMAG1308.jpg

The random face on the plate came from pipe scrapings... my wife was so desperate for a smoke lately she's even been smoking the leaves from the males I killed off... and even the tiny buds from the dead herm with mites, lol.

She doesn't take any prisoners :p

haha thats so funny! DB im over here doing the same thing.... scrapin my pipe for some smoke..... i got all these capsules with labels of fire ass weed..... empty capsules.... so sad...... this black goo has to do for now. man... i even wish i had little popcorn buds to pick off and smoke.....

damn dawg that 400hps! looks dope man...... im pretty sure from reading all these other journals and articles, that hps WILL give you a larger yield. i havent read much about potency or hydro using a hid.... what i did read was the humidity and heat issue. but seems like your gettn it all under control my man.

those mites really ate some shit up eh? that hps will burn those future suckers off! (im joking.... im guessing they thrive in the heat) man..... i just woke up. i dont remember shit. took a couple bars yesterday cos i was feeln way too active and having anxiety attacks..... i was at the halloween horror nights at universal studios in hollywood, ca. intense. my girl was bein hella symbiotic lol.....

anyways cheers bruh. will be back and thanks for shown me love over at my journal dawg. reps bruh. :surf:

haha thats so funny! DB im over here doing the same thing.... scrapin my pipe for some smoke..... i got all these capsules with labels of fire ass weed..... empty capsules.... so sad...... this black goo has to do for now. man... i even wish i had little popcorn buds to pick off and smoke.....

Heartbreaking stuff. What do you mean about the caps, don't understand.. am I being a bit thick? :s

damn dawg that 400hps! looks dope man...... im pretty sure from reading all these other journals and articles, that hps WILL give you a larger yield. i havent read much about potency or hydro using a hid.... what i did read was the humidity and heat issue. but seems like your gettn it all under control my man.

Think I've noticed the difference already, will wait til Monday or Sunday night to run more pictures and see how they look.

those mites really ate some shit up eh? that hps will burn those future suckers off! (im joking.... im guessing they thrive in the heat) man..... i just woke up. i dont remember shit. took a couple bars yesterday cos i was feeln way too active and having anxiety attacks..... i was at the halloween horror nights at universal studios in hollywood, ca. intense. my girl was bein hella symbiotic lol.....

Yeah, was lucky to get them killed in time or it'd all be over.

Sorry to hear about the stresses, all good now?

anyways cheers bruh. will be back and thanks for shown me love over at my journal dawg. reps bruh. :surf:

Welcome mate, will try and keep up, things on top here, but day off tomorrow and going away for the weekend with the family... driving to where pastures are greener *wink wink*

:hookah::hookah: Good luck with ur grow Bro.....It's always great to see a few more UK growers here.......All the best man :peacetwo::hookah::hookah:

Thanks dude :) As Propa said above it's damned addictive stuff, shame they don't have dispensaries here or I'd be there like a shot.

We had a viewing from an estate agent the other day, but wifey did a great job protecting the tent from prying eyes.

Let's hope no more before Christmas!

Aaaaaaaaaah, ok! Thought as much but we don't get weed in capsules here, only "normal" medications.

It's fine in there, but I need to water every other day now instead of every 3-5 days with the CFLs.

Temp not too bad, seems to be around 26-27 Celcius... 78-80 Fahrenheit. Humidty varies on when I've watered.

Have to go away midday til Sunday night, so about 60 hours without checking on my babies :eek:

Will water them v well before I leave and rush back, lololol.

Have defo been UNDER watering too... should have a little bit of run off apparently and on the larger plant with the 3 litre pot I've yet to do that.

Today's plan... Flood them with nutes, raise the 400w HPS higher than I usually would and pray!!

Yes, drinking more for sure :) Not much hotter than the cfls especially with cool tube.

And "normal" meds... I work in the under appreciated area of community pharmacy and my mum ultimately died because of the meds she took for her Parkinson's disease and arthritis. Suck.

No pills for me, my pain relief and balance comes from some nice smoke.

hmmm i am now comtemplating if i should switch out to a 400watter for my next flowering..... i am sorta plannin a perpetual, but i dont think switching out during flower isnt all that bad as well...... hmm....

i got my eyes on quality when it comes to lights though. i am lookn at lumatek 400w ballast 6"cooltube and hps bulb.......... looks like i got savin up to do..... $300+ geez........

can i get a quick breakdown on your setup again DB? like how many watts you think you might be using including ballast and veg room. thanks dawg this will help me a lot.

:thanks:

Sure, mate.

I swapped week 3 of flower, from CFL to HPS and it seems to be making a difference.

Just checked the girls and the soil is still a little damp, so no panic there.

Will do what I should have done at the start:

What strain is it? White Russian and Mystery Bagseed

Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Flowering week 4, had perhaps 5-6 weeks vegging prior to flower.

Indoor or outdoor? Indoor

Soil or Hydro? Soil

If soil... what is in your mix? BioBizz All Mix - soil (20%), compost (35%), worm castings (10%) and Perlite (30%) as well as a special 'pre-mix' (5%) of biologically active organic ingredients that have been fermented for a month to create a potent mixture.

If soil... What size pot? 11 litre and 1 litre, double potted... soon to change.

Size of light? Was 2 x 125w cool blue CFL for Veg, then 1 x 125w blue and 2x125w red CFL for flower, swapped at week 3 for 400w HPS.

Is it aircooled? Yes. Acoustic ducting running from carbon filter to fan, then pushes air through cool tube and out of the tent.

Temp of Room/cab? errr 75-85?

RH of Room/cab? 60-75 ish, varying on watering.

Any Pests ? Spidermites... all dead now, bwahahahahaha.

How often are you watering? Was every 3-5 days, now closer to 2-3 days.

Type and strength of ferts used? BioBizz Grow 1ml per litre, Bloom 1ml per litre and Topmax 3ml per litre.

Am also hoping to go perpetual, smaller plants with more regular harvests. I don't want for much other than our own, so smaller lots a little more often works.

That said I don't want to be spending my whole life bloody trimming buds *yawn*

CFLs I can use next veg and then stick with the HPS for flower.

thanks a bunch for the post Dave...
i think were going to have very similar setups pretty soon as im gona try an build what you built for a filter.... [:rofl: ballon string i woulda done the same!]
yes smaller = more frequent.... well for us i would say.... and plus its personal smoke. plus relatives. ha.
man...i cant wait to trim... but i can already feel the hassle.... lol....
show me the money DB! i wana see some changes on the buds already!!! :yahoo:

Haha, well make sure you have the right fittings for the ends, harder to get hold of here than for you, and it should work nicely. Mine is leaking a bit I think due to where the end of the filter has little charcoal, will have to resolve with a length of drainpipe drilled full of holes so it sucks in air further down the line.

Room is stinking up a bit but couldn't smell it when we got back with 2 and a half days away, so I'm ok for a bit... fook I am learning to not procrastinate, honest.

Pictures to follow right now...

Back
Top Bottom