DeeBeeBees GSC Photo Grow Q4 2022

Hi DeeBeeBee, it's nice to see you get deep into this! As always if you plan your work, and work your plan as I see you are, you should be good. Nice safe setup!
So you were asking for what we have for cloning. I made one from a design a member @InTheShed showed me that works wonderfully. It may have a weak point of not being able to work in very warm temperatures as unwanted things may grow in the water. I have great luck with it in my basement! Here's something I found you can see. Go down another couple of posts for all the information.

Hi DeeBeeBee, it's nice to see you get deep into this! As always if you plan your work, and work your plan as I see you are, you should be good. Nice safe setup!
So you were asking for what we have for cloning. I made one from a design a member @InTheShed showed me that works wonderfully. It may have a weak point of not being able to work in very warm temperatures as unwanted things may grow in the water. I have great luck with it in my basement! Here's something I found you can see. Go down another couple of posts for all the information.
Awesome - thanks so much! More reading , good it has been been my favourite hobby for 40 years! :popcorn:

Ah - yep! These are cheap as here too off the shelf, like $20 USD, (Hello lazada my old friend!) but I have a literally a pile of PVC pipe, connections and glue already. You are 100% right to flag the temperature here as a concern. I had success with some chilli seeds using something similar in a particular part of the house that is dark and naturally cool/low humidity. Thinking about the @Mars Hydro HydroLine12 its basically the same concept with a light for $110.

I'll make a call on it at the weekend. I'm leaning toward the budget off the shelf version (no light but have a little light from the three pot chilli thing I bought I could repurpose) I could build my own with stuff lying around (even a spare fish tank pump) and a bucket from the store 100m away (but I have a senior role in 8 large companies and a three year old daughter so depends on my energy levels at the weekend 😆 ) Or I get mega lazy and order the MH version.

Think the same version as the one in the pic for $20 makes most sense. I looked at just growing everything this style but was warned off because of the long term stress of keeping the water fresh and clean and free from uninvited guests with the ambient temps here.

Thanks again,

DeeBeeBee

Ah - yep! These are cheap as here too off the shelf, like $20 USD, (Hello lazada my old friend!) but I have a literally a pile of PVC pipe, connections and glue already. You are 100% right to flag the temperature here as a concern. I had success with some chilli seeds using something similar in a particular part of the house that is dark and naturally cool/low humidity. Thinking about the @Mars Hydro HydroLine12 its basically the same concept with a light for $110.

I'll make a call on it at the weekend. I'm leaning toward the budget off the shelf version (no light but have a little light from the three pot chilli thing I bought I could repurpose) I could build my own with stuff lying around (even a spare fish tank pump) and a bucket from the store 100m away (but I have a senior role in 8 large companies and a three year old daughter so depends on my energy levels at the weekend 😆 ) Or I get mega lazy and order the MH version.

Think the same version as the one in the pic for $20 makes most sense. I looked at just growing everything this style but was warned off because of the long term stress of keeping the water fresh and clean and free from uninvited guests with the ambient temps here.

Thanks again,

DeeBeeBee
When I get it right there's good plantable roots in 2 weeks or less, 12 days maybe. Good luck with what you pick! Oh, they don't want much light when making roots. I tend to borrow light from the edge of something else using it. But after 40 years you get that I think.

When I get it right there's good plantable roots in 2 weeks or less, 12 days maybe. Good luck with what you pick! Oh, they don't want much light when making roots. I tend to borrow light from the edge of something else using it. But after 40 years you get that I think.
Ha! 40 years of reading not growing! Having a nightmare with my seedlings. Have been “borrowing” light the last day or so, and had two look like they died after sprouting fine.

Edit: weird posted that ages ok. To be clear! Reading is my number one hobby, growing very new!

Ha! 40 years of reading not growing! Having a nightmare with my seedlings. Have been “borrowing” light the last day or so, and had two look like they died after sprouting fine.

Edit: weird posted that ages ok. To be clear! Reading is my number one hobby, growing very new!
What were they in?

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

What were they in?

Stay safe
Coco and perlite in plastic disposable cups, holes cut and very strict on not over watering) - I'm trying to be chilled about it now. BeeBee is the more "green fingered" - she reckons it was light and too low humidity (ironic I know since its what we are trying to avoid mostly here. (see next post)

Coco and perlite in plastic disposable cups, holes cut and very strict on not over watering) - I'm trying to be chilled about it now. BeeBee is the more "green fingered" - she reckons it was light and too low humidity (ironic I know since its what we are trying to avoid mostly here. (see next post)
You have to feed them weak nutrients with calmag in first at 5.8 ph every da.
No plain water. :Namaste:
Did you miss any of these parameters my friend ?

Stay safe

So I mentioned these humidity control things that I think we'l just put in over night and cover during the day (RH shoots up over night here) Paid about $1USD each from a big chain place but Lazada will be 50c USD

They're on the BB's Training wheels - gonna see what's going on with the main GSC grow tomorrow. Had some losses - that is OK. I get it. We're very new to it, but I do want to figure out why. Becasue if we don't, we can't avoid making the mistake that we seem to have made again, and the definition of insanity is making the same mistake again and again, it has been said.

That said had contingency plan (A) and started that this morning (18 hours ago) and Plans B & C already activated so yeah - just a bit gutted about some seedling dying for reasons I don't understand yet. Have a pretty good idea. Me. But positive rom a negative BeeBee and I have had a division of labour formalised. She's gonna go see or clone to say 4" and hand off to me. This seems like a good division of labour - when it comes to LST and SOG we go together. Happy days we have our own responsibilities!

Anyway - onwards and upwards,

For anyone interested:

The sorta hexagonal boxes with white tops are just humidity boxes. My plan is just put them in the tent over night when the RH pumps up. Cheapo but no electrity bill!

You have to feed them weak nutrients with calmag in first at 5.8 ph every da.
No plain water. :Namaste:
Did you miss any of these parameters my friend ?

Stay safe
No - water from the well at <6 Ph. Very careful not to add anything extra as they looked so good. Did an ultra mild nute/calmag syringe today so see how they fair. They were great to start. I have an idea what happened. See what I recover. Its ok. Well its not! I feel like I killed my children! But yeah - maybe a light and weird humidity/too cold! screw up. And yeah. Live and learn. The BB's looking good is something!

Sorry - edits - my well water is about ph6 max, I think cold and lack of humdity (seriously! this is not expected in Phuket, Thailand!) in the carport/garage screwed them plus me being too aggressive on the NoName light. I put my spare seeds in kitchen roll first thing this morning.

Thanks Bill,

DeeBeeBee

No - water from the well at <6 Ph. Very careful not to add anything extra as they looked so good. Did an ultra mild nute/calmag syringe today so see how they fair. They were great to start. I have an idea what happened. See what I recover. Its ok. Well its not! I feel like I killed my children! But yeah - maybe a light and weird humidity/too cold! screw up. And yeah. Live and learn. The BB's looking good is something!

Sorry - edits - my well water is about ph6 max, I think cold and lack of humdity (seriously! this is not expected in Phuket, Thailand!) in the carport/garage screwed them plus me being too aggressive on the NoName light. I put my spare seeds in kitchen roll first thing this morning.

Thanks Bill,

DeeBeeBee
My spares gonna do as you say. >6ph and calmag and super weak A/B though.

Thanks again Bill,

🙏🏼

My spares gonna do as you say. >6ph and calmag and super weak A/B though.

Thanks again Bill,

🙏🏼
Feed every day, keep the coco moist.
As close to 5.8 as you can get would be good.
As they grow increase the strength, ppm.
24 to 27 c and above 70 ish % rh is your goal.
A weak fluorescent bulb T5 at first is all you need.

Stay safe

OK focus on good news today,

The kitchen roll method spares (5) look to be doing ok after 24 hours. BeeBee handover complete - she does seeds to veg in our division of labour. Promises me 8 GSC ladies from plus two randoms from the original seeds plus the spares.

Bought these for $10USD for burping in the far future but this one kind of matches the Mars Hydro probe. The proper ones for the tents still not arrived.

It was $10USD for 20 pieces. The manufacturing business in China honestly I don't get....

The newly not yet painted access hatch in my ceiling in the picture? Yeah the insurance company folded - they are paying me the money for the repairs to my stairs! That I already paid for so - guess what I'm gonna spend it on? Per @Bill284 advice the tent room becomes a proper room and more lights, vents and space on their way soon. Sketching out the design to maximise use of the AC particularly. Mylar ordered already.

DeeBeeBee

The newly not yet painted access hatch in my ceiling in the picture? Yeah the insurance company folded - they are paying me the money for the repairs to my stairs! That I already paid for so - guess what I'm gonna spend it on? Per @Bill284 advice the tent room becomes a proper room and more lights, vents and space on their way soon. Sketching out the design to maximise use of the AC particularly. Mylar ordered already.

DeeBeeBee
Love that fire extinguisher. :thumb:
Good luck with the new room.
Take care Amigo. :passitleft:

Stay safe

Had my 5 spares potted by BeeBee this morning after sprouting tap roots. Into some nice moist coco with mild calmag. Gentle light. I’m staying away. The other 8 all up to 4 leaves each and feel like they’ll be ok.

My training wheels (Bruce Banner photos) got named today. Angus and Merry. 10 days into flower. Rh down to 45%, Temp a little high at 30c’s still. The ppm run off was a bit high yesterday at 1500 -1700 so will just give them water next time.

Angus and Merry

Overhead. A bit of yellowing on a couple of leaves since trimmed.

DeeBeeBee

Ho hum, and further down the rabbit hole we go...

My question of the day - how close to walls and other lights is comfortable to go? They don't seem too hot to touch the frames and they'll have direct AC on top of them. Below is my design for the main flower room. The guy should be here tomorrow to price it. The room is 233cm wide and my preferred lights x4 are @Mars Hydro FC8000's which are 115cm square. Can save money and get some more FC6500's which are 113cm so save some space. Any thoughts? Maybe the 8000's are overkill in that space, is my guess. Even just 4800's x4 maybe? If money was no object (We don't have unlimited money, trust me! But can stretch to make it perfect) Please if you have an opinion let me know. The FC8000's are in budget, as are two 6" inline with thermostatic control and a full dehumidifier setup. If I can save some coin on the lights all well and good.

DeeBeeBee

Safety wise I'm not sure - the edges of the light coverage I'm not worried about - not planning to pot/grow too close to the edge. I just don't want to cause a fire through the lights being to close to walls or a each other.

Below is the light coverage for an FC6500, can't see the same for the FC8000's but guess similar?

DeeBeeBee

So the baby GSC's "The Nice 8" below - the paper seeded 5 we have two popped up since planting in Coco about 4 hours ago - so looking good for the "Lovely Dozen" we're aiming for right now. They are in the hands of BeeBee for now and I'm only allowed one look a day! That works for me because I found veg and so far flower low stress - the babies stress me out!

Becasue I'm an idiot it took me until a few hours ago that a simple opening of the "back door" to the tent that's directly under the AC might actually be an effective temp cooling method and so now the temp for the flowers is 28c's and the Rh is 45%, when these kiddo's are ready for the bigger tent we'll be ready for them!

DeeBeeBee

Back
Top Bottom