Defoliation - Where do you stand?

Forgot to mention too,if your taking leaves off that go back into a bud,be careful.
i leave a bunch of the stem sticking out and just pinch the leaf off. Dont pinch into
the bud because that little bit of stem can sit in there and fester ;)

Can anyone tell me if this is a deficiency???
420-magazine-mobile202467308.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1678860380.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1548552612.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

If you get nutrient solution on the leaf it can distort the color. Maybe lack of nitrogen, but really can't tell there's much of an issue. Saw a video of a grower cutting ALL lower leaves off the plant at 21 days, claims it increases bud weight. I don't go that far but I can see there's a definite fattening once the plant get's into gear a few days after defoliating. In soil I think it's a bit different, but with hydro it seems like you can go farther when defoliating. It's all live and learn.

I do strip the lower part of the plant but I'm not brave enough to go to much Iv seen people strip the whole of the fan leaves I might try take more closer to harvest too let more light through there's so many different techniques people do I suppose it's all about dialling in what works best for you. I think I'm going to ignore the issue with that plant coz I don't know what it is. hopefully it will turn out ok .

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

So im a pro grower and grown thousands of plants. Its important i mention that because experience is important when comparing techniques.

There are several facto rs to consider regarding defoliation. In no particular order....

Light source
Strain
Growing medium
Health of plant
Size of plant

Never heavily defol a sickly plant.

So in my experience as a coco and hydro grower defoliating definately improves yields and quality. I cant speak for soil as its rare i grow in it.

Timing and defoliation techniques are huge factors also. So when defoliating i find doing strategic 'strikes' is way better than constanly removing leaves here and there. It reduces stress and plants recover faster.

Think of it like this... if you take a razor and make tiny cuts on your body daily or frequently then your body is constantly healing and more prone to infections and sores. Now if you done 100 small cuts in one day it might be a little more painful but the immune system kicks in and heals up the wounds at the same time and once its healed thats it.

I defol at 2 points during veg when i heavily bend plants and i completely remove the bottom 1/3 of leaves and suckers a few days before flip. I then do a strategic defol around day 21 of flip and at this point i remove 25-50% of fan leaves depending on strain and size of plant.

This allows much better airflow and light penetration and there are more than enough leaves large and small to photosynthesis.

Hope this helps...

Sent from my SM-G925F using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Interesting thread. Read less than 24 hours since I trimmed everything to open up the lower part to light. 3 weeks into 12/12. I only take enough open them up a little. If a leaf is not blocking light I leave it. First grow with pure Indica plants. Had to take some fan leaves on these plants because of zero light penetration passed 2 inches. Barney's Farm Crimea Blue has great branching but the branches grow straight up the main stem. Never seen anything like it. I'm going to have to pull branches down instead of propping up. Going to be really interesting see how this strain finishes up.

My Barney's blue cheese genetics were a mess and I love Barney's!! But her lateral branches going in all directions and her branches were thin and didn't hold much. But I believe I topped her close to flower so that could have triggered it as well as not trimming enough. So this time I am going with Barney's like always but trying there Kush line. I am praying they come out good

I have did ok with Barney's farm before. G-13 Haze is doing great. Good branching and internode spacing. Looking forward to seeing how this strain finishes. Having trouble with Crimea Blue and over watering.
My Barney's blue cheese genetics were a mess and I love Barney's!! But her lateral branches going in all directions and her branches were thin and didn't hold much. But I believe I topped her close to flower so that could have triggered it as well as not trimming enough. So this time I am going with Barney's like always but trying there Kush line. I am praying they come out good

Back
Top Bottom