DIY grow cabinet wood choices

extremophile420

420 Member
I decided to build a 180cm width, 200cm height, 60cm depth cabinet.

1- after reading many threads, i decided to go with plywood (other choices were OSB and MDF). Do you think this is the right wood decision?

2- my budgets allows me for 1/4" plywood coverings to cover the frame. Is 1/4" good for a grow cabinet? (longetivity, practicality, general grow environment), or should i wait until i can afford 1/2"? Does it make a difference in the long term? I dont really plan on upgrading, this will be my grow area for as long as it can last, so i want to build it right from the first time.

I decided to build a 180cm width, 200cm height, 60cm depth cabinet.

1- after reading many threads, i decided to go with plywood (other choices were OSB and MDF). Do you think this is the right wood decision?

2- my budgets allows me for 1/4" plywood coverings to cover the frame. Is 1/4" good for a grow cabinet? (longetivity, practicality, general grow environment), or should i wait until i can afford 1/2"? Does it make a difference in the long term? I dont really plan on upgrading, this will be my grow area for as long as it can last, so i want to build it right from the first time.
The ply wood is the only choice out of those three. the first two would fall apart within a year. Especially the mdf. The 1/4" ply is plenty strong but will need some center support if spanning much over 24".

I'm considering building a grow cabinet in the future myself.

Consider Meranti board. It's a low cost plywood often used under vinyl flooring.

As we may move in the future, being able to take it with us is a concern. I looking at a top cabinet with power and exhaust, a bottom incorporating the intake, and sealed to prevent water spills, and multi-part walls, of a size to fit through doors and into elevators. The pieces would be held together with T-Nuts.

I'm considering insulating at least the walls with 15mm styrofoam insulation.

I'm not sure about the doors yet. I'll either use manufactured thin closet doors, or make my own.

The interior would be finished with an epoxy paint.

You may want to make it a bit deeper if your arms are long enough. It should not be deeper than your arm is long so that you can maintain your plants without moving them around.

I got one of them bathroom/linen closets kind of thing (not the put together yourself kind with the cardboard back) used at the Habitat for Humanity store, was like $20. I didn't measure my shed and when I went to stand it up it hit the rafters as it was an 8 foot tall one, so cut it in half at the fixed top shelf and then decided I wanted more than 4 foot tall so I added to it with some scrap 2x4's and plywood I had. Cut holes for computer fans and used the carbon pre-filter material for air fresheners that comes in sheets and you can cut to fit for filtration and to keep light out, and got different kind of hasps to seal door tight (spring loaded kinda thing when you latch it it pulls it tighter agains frame). Held up for 3 years now, though I ended up putting floor/walls/ceiling in my shed and using that for primary grow space, but still use the boxes for clones and plants in veg when I have ones in shed in Flower:

Shed when it was done:

My first two plants I did on my first time, full cycle in the boxes:

One of my Blurple lights lost about 1/3 of the bulbs (was wondering why they were growing slow ;) :rofl: ), so I moved up to lights that don't hurt your eyes unless you look up into them (plus you can leave them on and still take pics you can see something with), and increased my footprint grow space. But like I said still use the boxes for other stages or for breeding experiments to keep the pollen localized more.

The ply wood is the only choice out of those three. the first two would fall apart within a year. Especially the mdf. The 1/4" ply is plenty strong but will need some center support if spanning much over 24".
I'm considering building a grow cabinet in the future myself.

Consider Meranti board. It's a low cost plywood often used under vinyl flooring.

As we may move in the future, being able to take it with us is a concern. I looking at a top cabinet with power and exhaust, a bottom incorporating the intake, and sealed to prevent water spills, and multi-part walls, of a size to fit through doors and into elevators. The pieces would be held together with T-Nuts.

I'm considering insulating at least the walls with 15mm styrofoam insulation.

I'm not sure about the doors yet. I'll either use manufactured thin closet doors, or make my own.

The interior would be finished with an epoxy paint.

You may want to make it a bit deeper if your arms are long enough. It should not be deeper than your arm is long so that you can maintain your plants without moving them around.
One of my Blurple lights lost about 1/3 of the bulbs (was wondering why they were growing slow ;) :rofl: ), so I moved up to lights that don't hurt your eyes unless you look up into them (plus you can leave them on and still take pics you can see something with), and increased my footprint grow space. But like I said still use the boxes for other stages or for breeding experiments to keep the pollen localized more.

I will build a frame then cover it with plywood, moisture treated then painted flat white.
However my concern was thickness, as i dont want my grow box to last for a year or two then starts to give problems. I want as much longetivity within my budget. Is 1/4" able to handle years of growing?

I will build a frame then cover it with plywood, moisture treated then painted flat white.
However my concern was thickness, as i dont want my grow box to last for a year or two then starts to give problems. I want as much longetivity within my budget. Is 1/4" able to handle years of growing?
A proper frame and 1/4" ply will serve you for many years. Make sure it is a proper wood laminated ply and not one with a partical core. A good paint and maybe a little latex caulk will keep the moisture at bay. Two or three coats of paint and a little up keep will give you some longevity.

That's why I would use epoxy paint.

I have a garbage bin made out of 3/8" exterior grade plywood that has lasted 15 years. I only used wood stain on it, and it has been outside the entire time. Indoors, 1/4" plywood covered with epoxy paint, and properly maintained should last a life time.

That's why I would use epoxy paint.

I have a garbage bin made out of 3/8" exterior grade plywood that has lasted 15 years. I only used wood stain on it, and it has been outside the entire time. Indoors, 1/4" plywood covered with epoxy paint, and properly maintained should last a life time.
Epoxy paint is definitely the best choice. Drawbacks would be clean-up and of course smell. Does epoxy come in flat?

Epoxy paint is definitely the best choice. Drawbacks would be clean-up and of course smell. Does epoxy come in flat?

I checked Home Depot. They have white epoxy in a satin finish. What can be done is mix some fine sand with the paint to give it a flat finish. That's what we used on the flight deck of the ships I was on to get a non-skid finish. Alternately, a light sanding with 400 grit paper will do the same.

I’m interested in building a grow box myself, also need to build a cloning machine of some sorts. Wonder if it’s cheaper to just by a cloner, looking at 24-36 site cloner

It depends on what you want in a cloner. I don't think there's such a thing as an all singing all dancing cloner, with a built-in light.

Damn this is a good idea, i was thinking to use used fridge to make it into a DIY box due to free cooling unit since im leaving in a hot climate country.

I can learn some few tips from your post. TQ

Back
Top Bottom