Do I need a pk booster?

so i've been using megacrop one part for a while now, i see they now have a 2 part and a pk booster.
i'm outdoors

i run MC and occasionally run the BE with it. you really don't need anything with MC, it can get the plants all the way home with nothing else, while achieving beautiful results.

using terra canna professional w/ fabric pots

how many of you run MC in flower? will using a pk booster give me any benefits? MC seems to have too much N for flower?

MC runs hot in flower, it can be hard to balance. BE is also hot, even for a booster. i run a little to drop the base nute back a touch, but you can't follow the green leaf schedule without burning the plants to a crisp.

if you run it you have to feel it out and be extremely careful. don't run the recommended amounts on top of the regular MC feed schedule.

i run MC and occasionally run the BE with it. you really don't need anything with MC, it can get the plants all the way home with nothing else, while achieving beautiful results.

MC runs hot in flower, it can be hard to balance. BE is also hot, even for a booster. i run a little to drop the base nute back a touch, but you can't follow the green leaf schedule without burning the plants to a crisp.

if you run it you have to feel it out and be extremely careful. don't run the recommended amounts on top of the regular MC feed schedule.
i've always used the MC calculator and always fed every watering, never got nutrient burn, but maybe lockout as i do experience some yellow leaves and other stuff sometimes.

your recon their recommendation are too high? i can never tell if i'm getting lockout or deficiency....

i'm currently in veg and running the recommended dosage using the calculator and i feed em every watering (so every 3-4 days or so)

MC runs hot in flower? Every salt based complete plant food contains the same minerals and I'm pretty sure if you run hot or not is only mitigated by feeding less? By feeding less and more often you will sort the salt buildup late in flower and high EC in the medium. My two cents. Cheers!

MC runs hot in flower? Every salt based complete plant food contains the same minerals and I'm pretty sure if you run hot or not is only mitigated by feeding less? By feeding less and more often you will sort the salt buildup late in flower and high EC in the medium. My two cents. Cheers!
yeah but what exactly is less? like it's hard to get the correct amount, too little and your yield might suffer, too much and you might get lockout

what about flushing? would it be bad to do an extra flush mid-way trough flower? i don't see how a flush (water x3 times container) might hurt the plant. clear out the excess salts, and then go back to feeding as usual, repeat every once in a while to avoid build-up?

MC runs hot in flower? Every salt based complete plant food contains the same minerals and I'm pretty sure if you run hot or not is only mitigated by feeding less? By feeding less and more often you will sort the salt buildup late in flower and high EC in the medium. My two cents.

yeah but what exactly is less? like it's hard to get the correct amount, too little and your yield might suffer, too much and you might get lockout

MC doesn't lock out like a bottle nute. it's a recommend constant feed. you can fix it on the fly if you want. it is easy to underfeed or overfeed if you don't have a good read on the plants though.

you should run it once @Wastei, it's a different experience. closest thing to it i found is jack's.

what about flushing? would it be bad to do an extra flush mid-way trough flower? i don't see how a flush (water x3 times container) might hurt the plant. clear out the excess salts, and then go back to feeding as usual, repeat every once in a while to avoid build-up?

MC is best run on a f/f/f basis. you normally feed at every water on it.

if you want to reset and rebalance the nutes you can flush and refeed no problem. just because you don't necessarily have to doesn't mean you can't.

if you do the flush make sure to rebalance and refeed within 24hrs.

BE is also hot, even for a booster

but you can't follow the green leaf schedule without burning the plants to a crisp.

If you follow Greenleafs instructions, this is what Bud Explosion will do...it ain't pretty...
If you're going to use it, I'd recommend using about a third as much as they say- that shit is hot!
wtf.JPG

I was told early on that the most important thing about growing is to better your ability to read the plant. I've grown this plant as long as I can remember and it's not that hard to learn to grow healthy plants if you start by learning all the basics. If you have to regulary flush to correct a deficiency you're overfeeding. I've always gone by looks and runoff water no matter the medium. If EC keeps raising in my runoff I'v overfed and it should optimally be 0.3 EC over your input.

Start with 0.3 EC for small plants and seedlings and repeatedly measure runoff to get a hang on how much they actually consume. Then raise strength gradually as they mature and feed them less at the end of flower. There's many sites that explains all the basics, other than that I've learned most by reading other peoples journals. Good luck!

MC doesn't lock out like a bottle nute. it's a recommend constant feed. you can fix it on the fly if you want. it is easy to underfeed or overfeed if you don't have a good read on the plants though.

you should run it once @Wastei, it's a different experience. closest thing to it i found is jack's.

if you want to reset and rebalance the nutes you can flush and refeed no problem. just because you don't necessarily have to doesn't mean you can't.

I dont know what you're on about? I've been running MC for 5 years straight without any problems? The mineral salts does'nt change just because they're in granular form compared to in a solution? The result of their use is the same.

You can overfeed and repeatedly flush, that works to. Each to their own. Cheers!

I dont know what you're on about? I've been running MC for 5 years straight without any problems?

it didn't sound like you were. some of your posts now make more sense. it did feel like we were approching things somewhat similar.

do you supplement it at all or just run it on it's own ?

You can overfeed and repeatedly flush, that works to. Each to their own. Cheers!

either works just fine. it's flexible.

I was told early on that the most important thing about growing is to better your ability to read the plant.

precisely. one thing i like about MC is it teaches a read on the plants first and foremost as the way to grow. it's valuable knowledge you can take to other nutes and grow styles.

it has other shortcomings as a nute. they all do. but it teaches you to adapt and anticipate the plants needs.

so if i'm getting some yellow leaves it's likely underfeeding since you say MC cant cause a lockout?

if so, then i guess the MC calculator is a bit conservative considering i'm fertilizing every time i'm watering

what do you mean by rebalance ?

I dont know what you're on about? I've been running MC for 5 years straight without any problems? The mineral salts does'nt change just because they're in granular form compared to in a solution? The result of their use is the same.

i read online that flushing actually hurts the plant, but this makes no sense to me? i'm outdoors, what if it rains for a day straight? that's basically flushing, and i don't think weed gets hurt in nature if it rains for a day straight? correct me if i'm wrong guys @bluter

i read online that flushing actually hurts the plant, but this makes no sense to me? i'm outdoors, what if it rains for a day straight? that's basically flushing, and i don't think weed gets hurt in nature if it rains for a day straight? correct me if i'm wrong guys @bluter

if you are in pots you have to feed for sure. outdoor is a different animal. there could be hundreds of reasons you are seeing what you are, without pics or a better description we can't tell you a thing.

there's a good possibility you're just underfeeding, or have a lockout, but we don't have near enough to go by on this end.

if you are in pots you have to feed for sure. outdoor is a different animal. there could be hundreds of reasons you are seeing what you are, without pics or a better description we can't tell you a thing.

there's a good possibility you're just underfeeding, or have a lockout, but we don't have near enough to go by on this end.
sorry i'm a bit lost here, so is it possible to get nutrient lockout with mc or not?

sorry i'm a bit lost here, so is it possible to get nutrient lockout with mc or not?
It's possible to get lockouts with any nutrient brand. Lockout comes from overfeeding and pH being out of range. All manufacturers use the same source minerals, they're just in different ratios.

can't tell without a pic of the plant. i've never had a lockout in MC in 5 yrs. i have overfed and burnt them though.

regardless no one can help you without seeing the plant. if there is one it's not hard to fix. it's probably not what is happening though.

It's possible to get lockouts with any nutrient brand. Lockout comes from overfeeding and pH being out of range. All manufacturers use the same source minerals, they're just in different ratios.
i wanna get some PK booster, but megacrop is always out of stock. how can i avoid overfeeding the plants if i wanna run a pk booster from another brand on top of megacrop? i don't mesure EC

i wanna get some PK booster, but megacrop is always out of stock. how can i avoid overfeeding the plants if i wanna run a pk booster from another brand on top of megacrop? i don't mesure EC

the green leaf schedule for BE doesn't even work with MC. if you run it by the suggested weights you'll burn everything to a crisp.

normally a booster is not run with MC, even the BE, MC is intended to be a one thing only start to finish. you can run BE or any other booster with it, but it is up to you to make headroom for it in your mix, and feel it out yourself.

sometimes i run it but i keep close watch on the EC and don't feed strictly by weight if i do.

My understanding of the Mega Crop fertilizer and their dosage and schedule is that any found in a "booster" should already be taken care of.

But if you really feel that you need more or just want to experiment then there is something to consider. These boosters seem to be high doses of Phosphorous and Potassium with doses of a few micro nutrients.

Start with the Potassium and see where it takes you. Kelp Meal and liquid Kelp would be easy. Mix as instructed for either a tea or a soil drench and add to the watering schedule once a week. Want to go with a higher dose then there are products like Langbeinite (0-0-22) which is a mineral that is often sold while in its most natural state and looks like a pale clear crystal. Langbeinite is also sold as a powder which is the same crystals but crushed into a dust. The Langbeinite not only has the Potassium also has some Sulhur and Magnesium, both of which I believe are in the "booster" product that is out of stock.

The Phosphorous might not be as necessary or needed if the MegaCrop has been doing well up to now.

On the other hand, the Potassium is good for overall plant health which is a natural for increased bud size, density and quality which is why I use it instead of looking for something labeled as a "booster".

My understanding of the Mega Crop fertilizer and their dosage and schedule is that any found in a "booster" should already be taken care of.

But if you really feel that you need more or just want to experiment then there is something to consider. These boosters seem to be high doses of Phosphorous and Potassium with doses of a few micro nutrients.

Start with the Potassium and see where it takes you. Kelp Meal and liquid Kelp would be easy. Mix as instructed for either a tea or a soil drench and add to the watering schedule once a week. Want to go with a higher dose then there are products like Langbeinite (0-0-22) which is a mineral that is often sold while in its most natural state and looks like a pale clear crystal. Langbeinite is also sold as a powder which is the same crystals but crushed into a dust. The Langbeinite not only has the Potassium also has some Sulhur and Magnesium, both of which I believe are in the "booster" product that is out of stock.

The Phosphorous might not be as necessary or needed if the MegaCrop has been doing well up to now.

On the other hand, the Potassium is good for overall plant health which is a natural for increased bud size, density and quality which is why I use it instead of looking for something labeled as a "booster".
Agree! PK boosters are only a result of marketing. If you're adding more P and K to Jacks or MC you can't understand what's already in the mix? You will only worsen the mineral ratios. Cannabis doesnt need high amounts of P and excess K. That's already well balanced in Jacks or MC.

To high PK will affect Cannabinoid production badly and you will loose potency.

Back
Top Bottom